Started by CarltonTheBear, March 04, 2023, 01:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

How To Play A Third Period

Last game: Yes
This game: No

Guilt Trip

Bender

Only thing making me happy right now is TBays losing streak.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

cw

Hit O'Reilly's left hand with around 1:06 remaining in the second period (for those who have PVR/rewind/replay).
I saw it at the time but he seemed to shake it off and play on and gripped his stick a few seconds later in the shift.

Zee

How do the Leafs always find ways to embarrass themselves?

cw

bustaheims

Quote from: BrownRolo on March 04, 2023, 09:42:27 PMWhat's the recovery time on a broken hand? Team is cursed though for real.

Depends on what part of the hand and how bad a break.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

dekedastardly

Quote from: BrownRolo on March 04, 2023, 09:42:27 PMTeam is cursed though for real.

I don't know how much of it is cursed, or a team having an innate way of making their own misfortune. Watching the Bruins surgically dismantle the Rangers yesterday was impressive. This team needs to get their shit together and I honestly wonder if they have the gamers to do it.

RedLeaf

Quote from: dekedastardly on March 05, 2023, 10:26:36 AM
Quote from: BrownRolo on March 04, 2023, 09:42:27 PMTeam is cursed though for real.

I don't know how much of it is cursed, or a team having an innate way of making their own misfortune. Watching the Bruins surgically dismantle the Rangers yesterday was impressive. This team needs to get their shit together and I honestly wonder if they have the gamers to do it.

Well. It took the first two weeks of the season to get things tight so I'm assuming we're looking at a similar timeline with all the new faces.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

cw

https://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/1632246697631051776
Mark Masters @markhmasters

Auston Matthews on an up-and-down trip:
"We're still trying to find our way and sometimes that takes time especially when you have so many new guys. Obviously, we need to dial it in here and get our game back and find that consistency.
"

Dubas and Keefe have alluded to this as well.

At the beginning of the year, they typically add 3/4-6 skaters. They play 8 preseason games. Lots of practice. After about 20 NHL games and many practices, they've shaken it out. Dubas talks about the 40 game mark to assess the roster for trades.
A difference now is they're not trying to implement a bunch of modifications to the way they play that the coaching staff identified over the summer.

Three not very good or bad games so far. My guess is that it will take them at least 10. Might take 20 to get fully up to speed. It will get better each game.

Having said that, the brain farts that occurred to result in two short handed goals against happened with players who had played together on the PP for a long time. The above doesn't excuse that or explain all of their issues.

I thought Murray played pretty well.

dekedastardly

Quote from: RedLeaf on March 05, 2023, 10:57:14 AMWell. It took the first two weeks of the season to get things tight so I'm assuming we're looking at a similar timeline with all the new faces.

🤞 Crossed fingers hoping Ryan O'Reilly isn't out for a significant length of time. I feel that this team desperately needs that leadership quality

cw

Quote from: dekedastardly on March 05, 2023, 11:02:09 AM🤞 Crossed fingers hoping Ryan O'Reilly isn't out for a significant length of time. I feel that this team desperately needs that leadership quality

We'll hear more Monday according to Keefe.

Key considerations: did he break something? does he need surgery?
Until you have answers like that, it is a 'wild guess'.

My 'wild guess' would be he might have broken something but because he was able to resume holding his stick and continue to play, the soft tissue damage is not likely to be too devastating - which would reduce his time off.
Here's a study on it
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7588639/
Location Mean Number of Missed Games by Injury
Finger    10.2 ± 5.7
Hand    14.1 ± 6.9
Thumb    10.4 ± 6.4

With 19 games left, there is some basis for a 'wild guess' that he'll be back before the playoffs but Monday, we'll probably get something based on the medical facts that will obliterate the wild guess in reliability.

cw

azzurri63

Quote from: cw on March 05, 2023, 12:27:29 PMHis finger is in a splint (probably better than hand or thumb)
https://twitter.com/Leafs1334/status/1632429322454614019

CW thanks for the pic. Now can you explain to me how I can insert a pic from my desktop?