Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Coyotes @ Maple Leafs - Oct. 17th, 7:00pm - SN, TSN 1050

Started by CarltonTheBear, October 16, 2022, 07:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bender

Quote from: Bullfrog on October 18, 2022, 02:02:29 PM
Quote from: azzurri63 on October 17, 2022, 08:33:23 PMNo idea what some of you see in Engvall. Absolute dreadful signing. Doesn't score, doesn't hit completely invisible in the playoffs and Dubas resigns him. Should have shipped him off along with some others and kept Mikheyev at least he was noticeable. But what do I know.

No salary cap? Sure, keep Mikheyev, whom everyone knows is a better player.

Engvall for the cap hit is a pretty good player imo.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Significantly Insignificant

Quote from: Bender on October 18, 2022, 02:51:30 PM
Quote from: azzurri63 on October 17, 2022, 08:33:23 PMNo idea what some of you see in Engvall. Absolute dreadful signing. Doesn't score, doesn't hit completely invisible in the playoffs and Dubas resigns him. Should have shipped him off along with some others and kept Mikheyev at least he was noticeable. But what do I know.

Who didn't have a training camp so he might be a step behind.
"We can't change what's done, we can only move on." - Arthur Morgan

azzurri63

Quote from: Significantly Insignificant on October 18, 2022, 03:46:22 PM
Quote from: Bender on October 18, 2022, 02:51:30 PM

Who didn't have a training camp so he might be a step behind.

Ya I'm sure that has some bearing on things but it's not going to matter we'll still feel the same in a month. Can fill his spot with someone cheaper that brings the same crap to the table. Big bodied soft player that completely disappeared in the playoffs and that's not going to change. Come back mid season and tell me different. Dubas, Keefe whoever are completely lost when it comes to the on ice decisions. Keep complaining about the same guys making mistakes, poor play etc etc but we keep rolling with some of these guys.

Joe

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

Quote from: Joe on October 18, 2022, 05:34:50 PMI love the smell of panic in October.

It's not panic, it's calling out things that have been problems for awhile and don't get fixed.  Which is the MLHS criticism of Keefe (shared by me and others on here too).

Arn

Quote from: Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate on October 18, 2022, 12:28:45 PM
Quote from: OldTimeHockey on October 18, 2022, 06:16:18 AM
Quote from: Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate on October 17, 2022, 09:43:33 PMI'm about done with Keefe.  He blows up the other night over typical bad calls but here he just stands there in disbelief.  To me he's a mediocre coach who doesn't add much value. 

I've questioned many of his decisions but I'm not sure what you'd have him do there? Throw stuff on the ice? Is there value added in a coach throwing a tantrum?

What I'm driving at is that he doesn't have the personality to motivate this group to be at their best more often — they are too comfortable.  His reaction to a call that cost them a point was pretty blase.  It's like he's OK with it.  It sends the wrong message.   

Equally we don't want another Babcock where it goes too far the other way. It's a fine line coaches have to tread now I feel.

I think the modern player generally does respond more to the more empathetic arm round the shoulder type coach. But there are times when you need to dish out a good bollocking. It's getting that balance right that it remains a motivation rather than being tuned out.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Joe

Quote from: Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate on October 18, 2022, 05:41:39 PM
Quote from: Joe on October 18, 2022, 05:34:50 PMI love the smell of panic in October.

It's not panic, it's calling out things that have been problems for awhile and don't get fixed.  Which is the MLHS criticism of Keefe (shared by me and others on here too).

And I still think it's too early to call out a team that had 115 points a year ago that started 2-4-1 a year ago and who are 2-2 right now.

Let's give it maybe 10 games before we pull the parachute?

Frank E

Quote from: Joe on October 18, 2022, 06:05:38 PM

And I still think it's too early to call out a team that had 115 points a year ago that started 2-4-1 a year ago and who are 2-2 right now.

Let's give it maybe 10 games before we pull the parachute?

You get 5 games, Iafrate...five. 

After that, boom, we blow this thing up.

OldTimeHockey

Quote from: Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate on October 18, 2022, 12:28:45 PM
Quote from: OldTimeHockey on October 18, 2022, 06:16:18 AM
Quote from: Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate on October 17, 2022, 09:43:33 PMI'm about done with Keefe.  He blows up the other night over typical bad calls but here he just stands there in disbelief.  To me he's a mediocre coach who doesn't add much value. 

I've questioned many of his decisions but I'm not sure what you'd have him do there? Throw stuff on the ice? Is there value added in a coach throwing a tantrum?

What I'm driving at is that he doesn't have the personality to motivate this group to be at their best more often — they are too comfortable.  His reaction to a call that cost them a point was pretty blase.  It's like he's OK with it.  It sends the wrong message.   

I didn't get that impression at all.

I'll happily rail on Keefe for not adjusting to the Coyotes collapsing to the net. I'll rail on him for not starting Samsonov. But I won't rail on a coach for not throwing a tantrum when a call doesn't go his way. I mean, the refs ultimately made the correct call right?

azzurri63

That in a nutshell is exactly what bothers me about this team and it's not only coaching but more-so upper management.