Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Leafs sign Zach Aston-Reese to PTO

Started by CarltonTheBear, September 09, 2022, 01:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


herman

#1
ZAR-SDA-NAK let's go

https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/status/1568274302239383552
Also, this makes it more delicious
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed #scumbag

CarltonTheBear

#2
ZAR at $800k could give us a line-up that just barely squeaks under the cap of:

Bunting-Matthews-Marner
Robertson-Tavares-Nylander
Kerfoot-Jarnkrok-Engvall
ZAR-Kampf-NAK

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Liljegren
Giordano-Holl

Murray
Samsonov

If/when Sandin signs Holl or Kerfoot is dealt. If it's Holl then we're stuck with just a 20-man roster (unless Sandin just signs with like 1-year, $1mil). If it's Kerfoot then we could have a full 23-man roster 22 man roster.

CarltonTheBear

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1568284681447038978

If that doesn't interest you, then he was also 11th among all forwards in hits last season.

Nik

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on September 09, 2022, 01:12:15 PM
If that doesn't interest you, then he was also 11th among all forwards in hits last season.

Finally, a replacement for Nylander.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

herman

I don't know that he'll stick here after camp; we're tight on contract slots.

I think it's more of a vet-count insulation for pre-season and also an example of what Marlies-grads need to do at a minimum to make the Opening Night roster. Zach gets greater visibility he can parlay into an NHL deal somewhere else.

I know Clifford is likely the new Clune, but I don't know what's going to happen with Simmonds. We can't really afford to carry him just for being a good leadership example when we've got 3+ players that fill his on-ice niche.
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed #scumbag

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: herman on September 09, 2022, 01:36:05 PM
I don't know that he'll stick here after camp; we're tight on contract slots.

It's cute that you don't think we're gonna lose at least 2 players on waivers before the season starts.

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: herman on September 09, 2022, 01:36:05 PM
I know Clifford is likely the new Clune, but I don't know what's going to happen with Simmonds. We can't really afford to carry him just for being a good leadership example when we've got 3+ players that fill his on-ice niche.

If there's cap space for a 13th forward I'm fine with him holding that spot. I also wouldn't really lose any sleep if the team traded or waived him but I know the players and organization as a whole likes him.

herman

"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed #scumbag

Bender

"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Kaberle15

Quote from: Bender on September 10, 2022, 01:11:09 AM
I mean, he can always sit.

Actually no, if he wants to play in Toronto, he must be signed before season opener, otherwise his deal will be pro-rated against the cap on de Dec 1 deadline and the Leafs can't afford any extra hit at the cap this season (see Nylander 1st year contract).

So, the long he sits, he will cost more against the cap (not in money, but in the Cap, and that will hurt the Leafs Cap situation)
Go Leafs Go!!!

bustaheims

#11
Quote from: Kaberle15 on September 10, 2022, 10:05:51 AM
Quote from: Bender on September 10, 2022, 01:11:09 AM
I mean, he can always sit.

Actually no, if he wants to play in Toronto, he must be signed before season opener, otherwise his deal will be pro-rated against the cap on de Dec 1 deadline and the Leafs can't afford any extra hit at the cap this season (see Nylander 1st year contract).

So, the long he sits, he will cost more against the cap (not in money, but in the Cap, and that will hurt the Leafs Cap situation)

For the amount Sandin is likely to sign for, that's really a non-issue. Just means they'll need to have the same amount of cap space when he signs as they do now.

He won't actually cost more against the cap. It's more that his daily cap will be higher. The overall impact will be the same.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Bender

Quote from: Kaberle15 on September 10, 2022, 10:05:51 AM
Quote from: Bender on September 10, 2022, 01:11:09 AM
I mean, he can always sit.

Actually no, if he wants to play in Toronto, he must be signed before season opener, otherwise his deal will be pro-rated against the cap on de Dec 1 deadline and the Leafs can't afford any extra hit at the cap this season (see Nylander 1st year contract).

So, the long he sits, he will cost more against the cap (not in money, but in the Cap, and that will hurt the Leafs Cap situation)
And if he wants to play hardball he can sit all year. We keep his rights.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

herman

Zach Aston-Reese signing sounds like it's basically a done deal given how effusive GM/Coach/player have been, pending LTIR moves.
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed #scumbag

herman

"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed #scumbag