Leafs sign Samsonov [1 year, $1.8mil AAV]

Started by Zee, July 13, 2022, 11:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herman

"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed #scumbag

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

Quote from: Nik on July 13, 2022, 11:57:11 AM

I like it. Murray/Samsonov isn't a world beater or anything but as it goes there are reasons to be optimistic about both of them.

Yup.  This takes a bit of the edge off of the Murray signing.

Peter D.

Very little to no downside to that term and value.  Excellent signing.

Now hopefully one or both of Murray and/or Samsonov can tap into that talent they have and deliver quality goaltending for the team.

CarltonTheBear

Somewhat noteworthy to add that Samsonov will still be a RFA at the end of this deal.

Mr. Leaf

I'm probably more excited about this than Murray and wouldn't be surprised if Samsonov takes over as the starter.

L K

Murray + Samsonov with Kallgren/Woll waiting in the wings is a lot more tolerable.  I'm still not thrilled at the cost of Murray on the cap but it is what it is.  Definitely going to have to be some moves to free up some space to make some additions.  This should take us out of the running to sign Strome unless he wants a similar 1-year discount contract.

Bender

Quote from: L K on July 13, 2022, 12:15:47 PM
Murray + Samsonov with Kallgren/Woll waiting in the wings is a lot more tolerable.  I'm still not thrilled at the cost of Murray on the cap but it is what it is.  Definitely going to have to be some moves to free up some space to make some additions.  This should take us out of the running to sign Strome unless he wants a similar 1-year discount contract.
I think I like this better than what Campbell would've cost + Mrazek.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Omallley

That seems like really good value - I love the potential he has...but man...we're banking on both goalies having a rebound season, eh?

bustaheims

Quote from: Bender on July 13, 2022, 12:19:29 PM

Edmonton giving Campbell 5 years when he really has no reliable track record is quite the gamble. Would not have been comfortable committing to him for that long.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CarltonTheBear

Sportsnet still talking about how the Leafs are questionable defensively and play and run and gun. Love getting hockey analysis from 4 years ago.

bustaheims

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 13, 2022, 12:21:59 PM
Sportsnet still talking about how the Leafs are questionable defensively and play and run and gun. Love getting hockey analysis from 4 years ago.

Once they latch on to a narrative, they just can't let it go. TSN hasn't been better about that today, either.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Omallley

Quote from: bustaheims on July 13, 2022, 12:21:23 PM
Quote from: Bender on July 13, 2022, 12:19:29 PM

Edmonton giving Campbell 5 years when he really has no reliable track record is quite the gamble. Would not have been comfortable committing to him for that long.

They have enough contracts with term that I feel confident saying at least one of them is going to look terrible in a couple years.

Joe

Has twitter given us the official explanation as to why this is a terrible signing?

Oh and a reminder that the leafs haven't gotten out of the first round? This is important information that I need to be told.

princedpw

I know goalies are voodoo, but doesn't an .896 save percentage last year seem pretty bottom-of-the-league terrible?  Wouldn't we rather have Comrie for 2 years at the same price?

Joe

Quote from: princedpw on July 13, 2022, 01:28:43 PM
I know goalies are voodoo, but doesn't an .896 save percentage last year seem pretty bottom-of-the-league terrible?  Wouldn't we rather have Comrie for 2 years at the same price?

Isn't this basically a coin flip? I can't see how you can say one is clearly superior over the other.

One thing I did notice is this samsonov has triple the amount of games played and is 2 years younger. So there's that.