Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Leafs sign Samsonov [1 year, $1.8mil AAV]

Started by Zee, July 13, 2022, 11:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bustaheims

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

louisstamos

In his first season he had a 2.55 and 0.913% in 26 games.  If he can replicate that here, he would be a more than adequate backup.

OldTimeHockey

Quote from: louisstamos on July 13, 2022, 11:37:47 AM
In his first season he had a 2.55 and 0.913% in 26 games.  If he can replicate that here, he would be a more than adequate backup.

And probably as a starter after the first 10 games when Murray gets hurt.

louisstamos

Have the Leafs ever had a Russian goalie play for them?  I know they've drafted a few, but I don't think I can remember one who played for the big club.

Peter D.

Love this Samsonov signing (if and when finalized) way more than the Murray trade.  Potential to turn out quite good.

CarltonTheBear

Don't have a problem with him being one of the goalies in the tandem. Gotta wait on the contract details before being able to say much else.

bustaheims

Goalies are voodoo, so taking a chance on a younger guy with potential works for me. He'll also still be an RFA if it's a one year deal.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Nik

I like it. Murray/Samsonov isn't a world beater or anything but as it goes there are reasons to be optimistic about both of them.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Joe

What's the story with the capitals? Why did they not qualify him? Cost Too high?

bustaheims

Quote from: Iafrate on July 13, 2022, 11:57:33 AM
What's the story with the capitals? Why did they not qualify him? Cost Too high?

They didn't want him to elect for arbitration.

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Iafrate on July 13, 2022, 11:57:33 AM

Already had Kuemper essentially signed because what even is tampering anymore, so they didn't want to deal with a back-up who might have gotten $3-3.5mil in arbitration.

bustaheims

CarltonTheBear

Yeah, I'm ok with that. Figured $2mil would have been the most they could do with Murray's AAV.