Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion

Started by herman, May 22, 2022, 03:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herman

Concerted effort by the forward group to support their defense on the backcheck (likely mentally stepping up due to injuries), has led to cleaner retrievals and subsequent exits, which in turn drives entries and offense.

Having more mobility back there also doesn't hurt as long as we are not stuck getting cycled into the ice.
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed #scumbag

L K

With Holmberg being fawned over by Keefe it seems like he is cementing a lineup spot.

I was looking at Knies and it looks like his production is pretty similar to last year.  What are the odds that he would make the team if he signs late in the year?

Could we end up seeing a scenario where a Kerfoot trade could have the Leafs adding  a forward and a defenseman at the deadline?

bustaheims

10-3-1 with .921 Sv% and 2.35 GAA with the goalies that are meant to handle the brunt of the load this season. No complaints there.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: L K on November 27, 2022, 12:58:42 PMWith Holmberg being fawned over by Keefe it seems like he is cementing a lineup spot.

I was looking at Knies and it looks like his production is pretty similar to last year.  What are the odds that he would make the team if he signs late in the year?

Could we end up seeing a scenario where a Kerfoot trade could have the Leafs adding  a forward and a defenseman at the deadline?

Obviously a lot more goes into player assessment than just looking at stats, but I'm not sure I'm that psyched about Knies' stats being stagnant compared to last seasons. I was hoping he'd have taken a big step forward as a sophomore. Cole Caufield for example had very similar stats as a freshman (0.5 goals per game, 1.0 points per game) and then he exploded as a sophmore (30 goals, 52 points in 31 games).

Again, stats aren't everything and this doesn't really change how I view him as a prospect long-term, but if he's not putting himself in the Hobey Baker Award conversation I have doubts about him being able to step right into the NHL late in the season.

herman

#BeBlessed #scumbag

herman

#BeBlessed #scumbag

CarltonTheBear

https://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/1597265624039796736

I understand some of the arguments for keeping Robertson on the NHL roster, even if he isn't playing. And for say a typical 21-year old prospect like him they might make a little more sense.

Robertson though, for various reasons, has played a grand total of 78 professional hockey games since the 2020/21 season. He hasn't played more than 38 games in his first or second professional season. And if things keep up that'll likely be 3 straight seasons below that number.

I just don't see how that's beneficial. If the coaches on the Marlies are throwing their hands in the air and saying "we can't do anything with him anymore" then that's more of an issue with them.

Arn

Quote from: herman on November 27, 2022, 11:28:05 AMConcerted effort by the forward group to support their defense on the backcheck (likely mentally stepping up due to injuries), has led to cleaner retrievals and subsequent exits, which in turn drives entries and offense.

Having more mobility back there also doesn't hurt as long as we are not stuck getting cycled into the ice.

This is the kind of regular season "grind" the Leafs haven't really had to work through I feel? Load of top 4 defence men out long term at the same time. Top player not quite producing at his all star like levels of goal scoring. Lots of time for the third string goalie.

The regular season has just been easy the last few years. Hopefully this is that little bit of struggle that will pay off down the line.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

herman

Quote from: Arn on November 28, 2022, 12:16:20 PM
Quote from: herman on November 27, 2022, 11:28:05 AMConcerted effort by the forward group to support their defense on the backcheck (likely mentally stepping up due to injuries), has led to cleaner retrievals and subsequent exits, which in turn drives entries and offense.

This is the kind of regular season "grind" the Leafs haven't really had to work through I feel? Load of top 4 defence men out long term at the same time. Top player not quite producing at his all star like levels of goal scoring. Lots of time for the third string goalie.

The regular season has just been easy the last few years. Hopefully this is that little bit of struggle that will pay off down the line.

There's also some behind the scenes comments that indicate the previous coaching staff had a different approach to regular season play that the younger core members had to unlearn.
#BeBlessed #scumbag

OldTimeHockey

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on November 28, 2022, 11:49:23 AMhttps://twitter.com/markhmasters/status/1597265624039796736

I understand some of the arguments for keeping Robertson on the NHL roster, even if he isn't playing. And for say a typical 21-year old prospect like him they might make a little more sense.

Robertson though, for various reasons, has played a grand total of 78 professional hockey games since the 2020/21 season. He hasn't played more than 38 games in his first or second professional season. And if things keep up that'll likely be 3 straight seasons below that number.

I just don't see how that's beneficial. If the coaches on the Marlies are throwing their hands in the air and saying "we can't do anything with him anymore" then that's more of an issue with them.

I agree with you 100%. It would make more sense to have a journeyman play the sporadic games for two reasons.
1. He's use to the yo-yo and if he's still doing it, he's adjusted. Constantly going in and out has to be tough on Robertson.
2. Robertson needs ice time and puck touches. He's get neither here.

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

We keep talking about Robertson's potential, his motor, his talent, etc., but outside of one very very good game what has he shown to deserve being in the lineup?  I don't have any beef with the guy, but I haven't noticed him much in any of the other games he did get into.  I haven't been paying the slightest attention to Holmberg but already he's made more of an impact than Nick.  I wish it were otherwise.

L K

The first couple of games of Holmberg I thought he just looked like a safe player.  As he is getting more comfortable with the lineup though, he has a decent shot and he goes to the right places to generate offense.

I agree that Robertson isn't really showing those things consistently.  He works hard but he seems all over the place rather than doing things to create the next play.  He seems like a noticeable step behind on evolving the play right now.  I don't know if that is just a size limitation thing but sitting and watching games in the box can't help the timing very much.

herman

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1597300000509546496
This sweet summer child has no idea what the letter Z has been co-opted to represent these days. He also apparently has no idea who Zeus was (he was a leader of the gods, right) and got a huge arm tattoo of Zeus but it was actually Neptune.
#BeBlessed #scumbag

herman

#BeBlessed #scumbag

CarltonTheBear

And almost every single one of those guys mentioned are currently developing their game in the AHL right now, not sitting in a press box and playing hockey once in a span of 16 days.