Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion

Started by herman, May 22, 2022, 04:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Significantly Insignificant, Deebo and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

herman

Quote from: OldTimeHockey on November 17, 2022, 09:21:48 AMI think it's pretty early in the experiment to say that flipping Marner and Nylander is the solution to the scoring issues. It's definitely worth sticking with for a while to see if it's "this is new" energy or if it's an actual fix.

Stylistically, we were all seeing the benefits to this switch two seasons ago. Tavares and Marner play a slower, more methodical game that thrives on sowing chaos and making magic plays out of nothing. Matthews and Nylander enjoy the rush game and legitimate shooting threats on Matthews' wing opens up space for everyone.

Tactically, sticking with one lineup makes it very easy to gameplan (see every playoff). Especially if the coach's go-to problem solving technique was to play the tar out of the Matthews-Marner pair (again, see the end result in the playoffs).

It's a long overdue 'experiment' and we could have benefited from the flexibility in past playoffs. Keep it fresh and zippy.
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed #scumbag

herman

#BeBlessed #scumbag

azzurri63

Read today Leafs may be interested in Tyler Myers. Hoping that's not true. 6 million cap hit. Yikes if this comes true.

CarltonTheBear

Can't get over David Kampf still having more goals and points than Auston Matthews at 5-on-5 this season.

Frank E

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on November 18, 2022, 10:50:30 AMCan't get over David Kampf still having more goals and points than Auston Matthews at 5-on-5 this season.

Kampf has certainly been a good value signing, but he's up at the end of the season.

If he scores 30 points this season, can the Leafs afford him at 4C? 

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Frank E on November 18, 2022, 11:05:01 AMKampf has certainly been a good value signing, but he's up at the end of the season.

If he scores 30 points this season, can the Leafs afford him at 4C? 

I don't know if I'd be too concerned about that. At the end of the day he's still a 4C and I think even if he gets to 30 points (which I wouldn't exactly bet on) most of the league will know the 4th line is where he should be. And guys like him don't exactly get paid.

Nico Sturm signed a 3-year deal with a $2mil AAV this past offseason. With Minnesota his scoring numbers were comparable to Kampf (they dropped once he was traded to Colorado). But he's also 6'3", 210 lbs, was coming off a Stanley Cup victory, and San Jose now has him playing in their 3C spot it looks like. So that contract is probably absolutely best case scenario for Kampf.

On the flip side this offseason also saw someone like Johan Larsson, who has a very similar player profile as Kampf, not be able to find a NHL deal and he signed back in Europe. So there's a real possible downside to Kampf exploring the market as well.

For me I'd probably try to keep his AAV as close to $1.5mil as possible. Giving term to 4th liners is usually frowned upon but for someone like Kampf I wouldn't mind trying to offer him even like 4 years to keep that AAV down. If he leaves, well that wouldn't exactly be the end of the world. This offseason showed you can find guys like him for relatively cheap (ZAR for $840k, Johan Larsson could have probably been had for $1mil). Heck if Larsson wants to return to the NHL next season I'd be knocking on his door if Kampf left. I also think Pontus Holmberg could probably be a good home grown replacement for him, especially if the Leafs want to keep him at centre. He'll need to work on his face-offs though.

herman

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on November 18, 2022, 11:27:18 AMI also think Pontus Holmberg could probably be a good home grown replacement for him, especially if the Leafs want to keep him at centre. He'll need to work on his face-offs though.

and his 8-pack
#BeBlessed #scumbag

herman

The Leafs centreman pipeline does not look nearly as fallow as it did when Dubas was stepping into the GM role.
In a couple of seasons, we could be sporting Matthews ($$$$$), McDavid ($$$$$), Tavares ($pezza-deal), Holmberg ($), Minten ($). If Kampf is still around (and effective), awesome.
#BeBlessed #scumbag

Bill_Berg_is_sad

Quote from: herman on November 18, 2022, 11:55:09 AMThe Leafs centreman pipeline does not look nearly as fallow as it did when Dubas was stepping into the GM role.
In a couple of seasons, we could be sporting Matthews ($$$$$), McDavid ($$$$$), Tavares ($pezza-deal), Holmberg ($), Minten ($). If Kampf is still around (and effective), awesome.

Pretty good. I guess.

Nik

Quote from: herman on November 18, 2022, 11:55:09 AMThe Leafs centreman pipeline does not look nearly as fallow as it did when Dubas was stepping into the GM role.

No rings, hard pass.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on November 18, 2022, 10:50:30 AMCan't get over David Kampf still having more goals and points than Auston Matthews at 5-on-5 this season.

Matthews is having a bad season, by his standards.  Makes you wonder about his wrist (or other injury).

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

Knock 2 $$ signs off McDavid, he's ACHING to wear the blue&white.

Highlander

Quote from: Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate on November 18, 2022, 02:17:23 PM

Matthews is having a bad season, by his standards.  Makes you wonder about his wrist (or other injury).
Matthews leaves practice 20 minutes early after taking a shot of his foot.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Highlander

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

herman

#BeBlessed #scumbag