Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Armchair GM Thread 2022-2023

Started by CarltonTheBear, May 16, 2022, 11:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herman

Quote from: Joe on November 07, 2022, 11:40:09 AMI know this is straight up garbage but I had to share because this genuinely made me laugh out loud.

I don't know what it says doesn't exist. The link works.

https://twitter.com/TheHockeyWriter/status/1589320555613851651

You have to clear out the tracing tag in the url (everything from the ? and on) after pasting
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed #scumbag

L K

If Samsonov is going to be out long term (assuming we won't know more until his MRI although you have to hope that finishing the period is a good sign that it isn't a horrible knee injury) AND Murray is completely unreliable the Leafs likely have to acquire a goalie.  I'd be knocking on San Jose's door for Reimer to come back long before Campbell.

Where is this nonsense about Campbell being a slow starter coming from?

.918 SV% last year in October
.955 SV% in November

He had great numbers the year before.

What a dumb article.

Joe

Quote from: herman on November 07, 2022, 12:09:17 PMYou have to clear out the tracing tag in the url (everything from the ? and on) after pasting

Cool - thx for explaining that

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Joe on November 07, 2022, 12:18:20 PM
Quote from: herman on November 07, 2022, 12:09:17 PMYou have to clear out the tracing tag in the url (everything from the ? and on) after pasting

Cool - thx for explaining that
https://twitter.com/TheHockeyWriter/status/1589320555613851651

And I removed up to the ?...

bustaheims

LOL. No. Edmonton having some buyer's remorse. Sucks to be them.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Joe

In all honesty though he may turn it around and in March we'll hear Campbell for Vezina talk from Edmonton. Who knows.

I'm absolutely not rooting for his favour, my stance has always been 5 years for Campbell is insane, same as 7 years for hyman.

A Weekend at Bernier's

With the recent talk that San Jose may be shopping Erik Karlsson, I'm wondering if there may be a fit with the Leafs. Acquisition cost will be high, but this has to be the time for Dubas to push in the chips.  $11.5 annual salary, 5 years left on his contract (to age 37), and significant injury history are the obvious risks, but may also lower what it may take to get him.  Obviously, big salary retention would need to be part of any deal, which would increase what it will take.

With Muzzin's injury / uncertainty and the team's ability to sustain its competitiveness beyond the next few seasons in some level of flux, I would support something like this:

To TO:

- Erik Karlsson (50%) retention

To SJ:
- Nick Robertson
- Rasmus Sandin
- First round pick
- AHL prospect

Dappleganger

Quote from: A Weekend at Bernier's on November 16, 2022, 04:47:39 PMWith the recent talk that San Jose may be shopping Erik Karlsson, I'm wondering if there may be a fit with the Leafs. Acquisition cost will be high, but this has to be the time for Dubas to push in the chips.  $11.5 annual salary, 5 years left on his contract (to age 37), and significant injury history are the obvious risks, but may also lower what it may take to get him.  Obviously, big salary retention would need to be part of any deal, which would increase what it will take.

With Muzzin's injury / uncertainty and the team's ability to sustain its competitiveness beyond the next few seasons in some level of flux, I would support something like this:

To TO:

To SJ:
- Nick Robertson
- Rasmus Sandin
- First round pick
- AHL prospect

Those are all the assets I'm using to get Patty Kane!

CarltonTheBear

San Jose traded Burns for a 3rd rounder and a couple of meaningless contracts. Carolina got him for about a $5.3mil AAV with 3 years left on his deal. Karlsson being traded at 50% retained would be a $5.75mil AAV with 5 years left (including this one).

It's not a perfect comparison. Burns is much older (37 vs. 32). Burns also wasn't playing as well as Karlsson currently is, although he did have 54 points on a pretty meh Sharks team which is pretty good. On the flip side Burns doesn't have the injury history that Karlsson has and in their post-prime Burns has probably been a little more consistent.

But generally speaking, someone with Karlsson's history and his contract are very unlikely to get traded for a good return. Guys like Pacioretty and Fleury were literally given away for nothing recently despite coming off great seasons. I guess one notable difference is their prior teams NEEDED to move them, while San Jose isn't really under any pressure to move Karlsson at this time. Still, I highly doubt any team would give up anything close to that sort of haul for Karlsson at this time. And that's coming from someone who is actually a pretty big EK fan and loves that he's having a renaissance season.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: A Weekend at Bernier's on November 16, 2022, 04:47:39 PMWith the recent talk that San Jose may be shopping Erik Karlsson, I'm wondering if there may be a fit with the Leafs. Acquisition cost will be high, but this has to be the time for Dubas to push in the chips.  $11.5 annual salary, 5 years left on his contract (to age 37), and significant injury history are the obvious risks, but may also lower what it may take to get him.  Obviously, big salary retention would need to be part of any deal, which would increase what it will take.

To TO:

To SJ:
- Nick Robertson
- Rasmus Sandin
- First round pick
- AHL prospect

Yeah not a chance...

A Weekend at Bernier's

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on November 16, 2022, 05:08:52 PMSan Jose traded Burns for a 3rd rounder and a couple of meaningless contracts. Carolina got him for about a $5.3mil AAV with 3 years left on his deal. Karlsson being traded at 50% retained would be a $5.75mil AAV with 5 years left (including this one).

It's not a perfect comparison. Burns is much older (37 vs. 32). Burns also wasn't playing as well as Karlsson currently is, although he did have 54 points on a pretty meh Sharks team which is pretty good. On the flip side Burns doesn't have the injury history that Karlsson has and in their post-prime Burns has probably been a little more consistent.

But generally speaking, someone with Karlsson's history and his contract are very unlikely to get traded for a good return. Guys like Pacioretty and Fleury were literally given away for nothing recently despite coming off great seasons. I guess one notable difference is their prior teams NEEDED to move them, while San Jose isn't really under any pressure to move Karlsson at this time. Still, I highly doubt any team would give up anything close to that sort of haul for Karlsson at this time. And that's coming from someone who is actually a pretty big EK fan and loves that he's having a renaissance season.

Great insight and assessment, as usual.  The main difference would be the five years of significant retention that would be needed to make the deal work for the Leafs.  When we look at what retained salary is worth, I don't think I'm being terribly unreasonable. 

I do think EK is almost exactly what the Leafs need, with all due respect to the excitement a Patrick Kane would bring.  Like I said, I think we're in 2-3 year window here, gotta go for it.

Bender

Quote from: Guilt Trip on November 16, 2022, 06:44:27 PM

To TO:

To SJ:
- Nick Robertson
- Rasmus Sandin
- First round pick
- AHL prospect

Yeah not a chance...

I wouldn't go anywhere near that contract. You want a haul like that? Get me someone younger without injuries.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender