Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

R1, G7: Lightning @ Leafs - May 14th, 7:00pm - CBC, TSN 1050

Started by CarltonTheBear, May 13, 2022, 11:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BrownRolo

Quote from: disco on May 14, 2022, 09:37:45 PM
Quote from: L K on May 14, 2022, 09:20:52 PM
Quote from: hap_leaf on May 14, 2022, 09:17:41 PM
Quote from: Deebo on May 14, 2022, 09:05:39 PM
Quote from: L K on May 14, 2022, 08:59:35 PM
One team got a goal called back.  The other team got gifted a 5 on 3 when trailing. 

These two right here, changed the series.

Its disappointing, it was a great shot by Tavares, but I heard the whistle clearly on TV, so when it went in I knew it would not count right away. Im sure it was loud at ice level. Sucks but it was the right call.

We had no idea until saw the penalty box open.  The crowd was going nuts even before the goal

Why is a pick an automatic penalty? It isn't in basketball. Holl established body position and didn't reach out and grab him or anything. I guess it's interfering with a guys movement but it should be legal. All you're doing is making him go the long way around.

I feel like Holl needed to sell it more. If he made it look more like an accident he could've got away with it.

CarltonTheBear

Pretty minor point, but after a quiet regular season since being acquired I thought Blackwell really stepped up in the playoffs in very limited minutes. I wish he got on the ice a little more as opposed to some of the other middle-6 guys that maybe weren't exactly playing as good as we've seen them in the past (Engvall/Mikheyev). I hope he's able to come back on a cheap deal next season because if spots open up higher in the line-up I think he'll be a good option.

BrownRolo

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on May 14, 2022, 09:51:44 PM
Pretty minor point, but after a quiet regular season since being acquired I thought Blackwell really stepped up in the playoffs in very limited minutes. I wish he got on the ice a little more as opposed to some of the other middle-6 guys that maybe weren't exactly playing as good as we've seen them in the past (Engvall/Mikheyev). I hope he's able to come back on a cheap deal next season because if spots open up higher in the line-up I think he'll be a good option.
Engvall was pretty disappointing. Mickey had opportunities but was disappointing as well.

hap_leaf

Quote from: disco on May 14, 2022, 09:37:45 PM
Quote from: L K on May 14, 2022, 09:20:52 PM
Quote from: hap_leaf on May 14, 2022, 09:17:41 PM
Quote from: Deebo on May 14, 2022, 09:05:39 PM
Quote from: L K on May 14, 2022, 08:59:35 PM
One team got a goal called back.  The other team got gifted a 5 on 3 when trailing. 

These two right here, changed the series.

Its disappointing, it was a great shot by Tavares, but I heard the whistle clearly on TV, so when it went in I knew it would not count right away. Im sure it was loud at ice level. Sucks but it was the right call.

We had no idea until saw the penalty box open.  The crowd was going nuts even before the goal

Why is a pick an automatic penalty? It isn't in basketball. Holl established body position and didn't reach out and grab him or anything. I guess it's interfering with a guys movement but it should be legal. All you're doing is making him go the long way around.

If Holl was just standing still its fine. Watch the replay on youtube a few times and you will see that Holl moved purposely to impede the forward momentum of the opponent. The whistle sounded and then Tavares shot the puck.  If he did it in a less obvious way without that direct impact he may have got away with it.

TBLeafer

The thing that irks me the most out of this entire game is the panel DEFENDING the call on the no goal/pick/penalty.

BermudaBudsFan

I think the difficulty is, where do they go from here?  Still in cap hell so cant really upgrade due to financial constraints.  It was much better effort, but this team can't really be improved in a meaningful way, despite Dubas's wizardry.

gunnar36

Its really hard to be optimistic right now as I look ahead to next season.
Next year Reilly's salary gets a bump, Campbell will be looking for a big raise, will be tough to try and resign Mikheyev. Not a lot in the prospect pipeline in the way of maiking this team more playpff competent.  Our D is aging and Dubas keeps favouring undersized skill guys in draft.⁹

Guilt Trip

Quote from: BrownRolo on May 14, 2022, 09:52:53 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on May 14, 2022, 09:51:44 PM
Pretty minor point, but after a quiet regular season since being acquired I thought Blackwell really stepped up in the playoffs in very limited minutes. I wish he got on the ice a little more as opposed to some of the other middle-6 guys that maybe weren't exactly playing as good as we've seen them in the past (Engvall/Mikheyev). I hope he's able to come back on a cheap deal next season because if spots open up higher in the line-up I think he'll be a good option.
Engvall was pretty disappointing. Mickey had opportunities but was disappointing as well.
I was fine with Mikheyev and also for the most part with Engvall. I was more disappointed with Kerfoot's and Bunting's production. I would have like to see Blackwell get some looks in the top 6.
It's going to be interesting to see what Dubas does this off season. Can we get Gio, Lyubushkin back on the cheap? Is Spezza done?Will he move Willy, Kerfoot, Muzz who I thought was excellent.
Interesting times ahead.

Joe

I hate to admit this, and let me preface this by saying that the leafs should not be ashamed of themselves for their performance, that being said, I feel like there's too much alfredsson era senators in this team. Clearly talent, outplayed their opponent, but weren't willing to play dirty. TB clearly has no qualms playing dirty to get the job done.

However, on the other side of that argument, I feel as though if the leafs did play dirty all the calls would go against them.

So which brings me back to my original point, the NHL is a really hard league to respect. They make it really, really hard to be a fan.


L K

I will say that there is still a tendency of this team to get pretty.  Passing up good shot opportunities trying to feed a tap in.   Kerfoot was probably the most guilty of this in the series.  So many 2 on 1s that went for absolutely nothing because the Leafs tried to force a pass

Significantly Insignificant

Quote from: Iafrate on May 14, 2022, 10:02:35 PM
I hate to admit this, and let me preface this by saying that the leafs should not be ashamed of themselves for their performance, that being said, I feel like there's too much alfredsson era senators in this team. Clearly talent, outplayed their opponent, but weren't willing to play dirty. TB clearly has no qualms playing dirty to get the job done.

However, on the other side of that argument, I feel as though if the leafs did play dirty all the calls would go against them.

So which brings me back to my original point, the NHL is a really hard league to respect. They make it really, really hard to be a fan.

Yeah unfortunately you don't really have much of a choice.  Watch and put up with it or don't watch and invest your entertainment dollar elsewhere.
"We can't change what's done, we can only move on." - Arthur Morgan

L K

I will also say I would gladly give up being the A game on broadcasts if it meant we could have commentators who actually want the Leafs to win.   The difference when TSN has Ray calling our games and Sportsnets blandest is painful

Deebo

Quote from: Heroic Shrimp on May 14, 2022, 10:03:38 PM
https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1525659901569208321

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1525661208396845058

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1525662331618861058

I don't even think the CBJ was a real travesty either. The leafs roster was much worse back then, compared to now. If it was this version of the Leafs lost to them, then yeah. That one had Ceci, Barrie and Marincin playing meaningful minutes.

The Habs loss, of course, was probably the worst loss in franchise history.

Deebo

Quote from: Iafrate on May 14, 2022, 10:02:35 PM
I hate to admit this, and let me preface this by saying that the leafs should not be ashamed of themselves for their performance, that being said, I feel like there's too much alfredsson era senators in this team. Clearly talent, outplayed their opponent, but weren't willing to play dirty. TB clearly has no qualms playing dirty to get the job done.

However, on the other side of that argument, I feel as though if the leafs did play dirty all the calls would go against them.

So which brings me back to my original point, the NHL is a really hard league to respect. They make it really, really hard to be a fan.

The Alfredsson era Sens made the finals, conference finals another time, and beat the Philly team the Leafs couldn't, twice.