Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

R1, G7: Lightning @ Leafs - May 14th, 7:00pm - CBC, TSN 1050

Started by CarltonTheBear, May 13, 2022, 11:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrownRolo

The team played well but after they didn't score on the third PP I knew it was done. The refs were fine IMO. Biased slightly towards the Lightning but nothing like previous series. That 3rd PP the Leafs got would have drove us crazy if it was the other way around. This loss is on the PP. Again.

bustaheims

Quote from: Bender on May 14, 2022, 09:14:13 PM
Quote from: L K on May 14, 2022, 08:59:35 PM
I'm just gutted right now.  The Leafs put it all on the line there.  Can't hold it against them. 

One team got a goal called back.  The other team got gifted a 5 on 3 when trailing.  Officiating was shit in this game.  The amount of holding Tampa got away with behind the play was absurd.
The series reffing was garbage. That hit on Bunting should've been something. They gifted Tampa calls last game for them to tie and win the game. It's atrocious. At this point I'm thinking there are enough refs that are as tired as the rest of the league about hearing about the Leafs so they job them.

Not just this series. Around the league, it's atrocious. Been going steadily downhill for the last 20 years, and nothing seems to be getting done to fix it.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

gunnar36

I have a strong feeling that captaincy will be handed over to Matthews for start of next season.

Nik

Quote from: 4EVRLEAFAN on May 14, 2022, 09:23:52 PM
Yet here we are again.  Mathews only 4 shots and Marner none, zero, you can't win like that, this team needs changes, period.

4 shots a game is basically league leading territory.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

TBLeafer

Quote from: bustaheims on May 14, 2022, 09:23:18 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on May 14, 2022, 09:15:27 PM
This is a completely different feeling than past years. The top players all showed up. We got mostly good goaltending. We got mostly good defence. We outplayed the 2-time reigning Cup champs for most of the series. Including game 7 in my opinion. We lost this one because the bounces didn't go our way, the calls didn't go our way, and we ran into a team that was able to match our elite level hockey in the first round of the playoffs.

The idea of making significant changes to the team (what would that even mean at this point) seems over the top to me. Although I've said this before, I don't necessarily think the team needs to be 100% married to Keefe. Anybody on the team is upgradeable but I'm not convinced there's a GM available that'd be better than Dubas, or a winger available that'd be better than Nylander. But it's somewhat reasonable to think there might be a coach out there available better than Keefe. Trotz, maybe? It's too bad Boudreau didn't hold off on his decision to stay with Vancouver for a bit longer.

Excellent summary. Agree 100%

I used to be a forum moderator on a Leafs site now closed.

Would like to be involved more here in chat but just can't bring myself to it until the Leafs actually win a playoff series.

For whatever reason, they just can't put that final nail in the coffin of another team, after 10 consecutive tries. Full stop.

I'll never stop being a Leafs fan, but excuse time for why it didn't happen is over.

Just. Get. It. Done. 2023.

disco

That was a Stanley-Cup final calibre matchup, playing what, 3th overall vs 5th overall? All it does is tell us the Leafs aren't ready to win a Cup, nothing more. There's no shame in losing to the two-time defending champs in 7 games. That was like a conference final. The seeding is messed up. So instead of losing in the third or fourth round we lose (albeit super-closely) in the first.   

Kaberle15

At least this time they gave it all.
Way better game 7 effort than the previous 4.
Best team since 93.
Franchise records in points

They can held their heads up. As hard as it is to accept another game 7 loss, this one don't hurt as much as the others.
Go Leafs Go!!!

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Stronger Than All on May 14, 2022, 09:23:13 PM
Is it bad I want the Oilers to lose just because we did?

That commentor us such a homer, but we can't have homers on tv.
He's a homer for any Canadian team...he did a Leaf game earlier this year and was exactly the same...I like him...and yup want EDM to lose regardless. I do however hope Calgary wins.

Britishbulldog

This team is the most well rounded team I can remember as a Leaf fan.  I don't feel as bad about this series loss like other years.

Should have not had a 5-3 last game but the TBay goal simply tied it up, it DIDN'T win the game for TBay.  We could have scored in regulation or overtime to close out the series but couldn't.   

Disappointing that the goal was called back in this game but we DID get PP opportunities and we couldn't score.  Came close but didn't.

Our 'Nick Pauls', Mikheyev and Engvall were pretty silent this series which was the difference in my books.

I hope Dubas can keep most of this team together and see how they play next playoffs.

Oh BTW, with the playoff bracket format we were going to have to beat TBay 1st Round and either Florida or Washington Boston the next round and it will be like this for the forseeable future.  If we get out of our bracket probably only Colorado would be a real threat stopping us from the Cup.
All The Best
Dan

TBLeafer

Not being able to say anything negative about their play this particular lost series is the only positive takeaway into next season.

disco

Quote from: L K on May 14, 2022, 09:20:52 PM
Quote from: hap_leaf on May 14, 2022, 09:17:41 PM
Quote from: Deebo on May 14, 2022, 09:05:39 PM
Quote from: L K on May 14, 2022, 08:59:35 PM
One team got a goal called back.  The other team got gifted a 5 on 3 when trailing. 

These two right here, changed the series.

Its disappointing, it was a great shot by Tavares, but I heard the whistle clearly on TV, so when it went in I knew it would not count right away. Im sure it was loud at ice level. Sucks but it was the right call.

We had no idea until saw the penalty box open.  The crowd was going nuts even before the goal

Why is a pick an automatic penalty? It isn't in basketball. Holl established body position and didn't reach out and grab him or anything. I guess it's interfering with a guys movement but it should be legal. All you're doing is making him go the long way around.

TBLeafer

The regular season at this point of where the team is, however it ends up, however many points they get, however well the team and it's players do on the stat sheet, is just a means to the playoffs where they absolutely belong.

For the next 3-4 seasons at least.

They NEED to make the playoffs count.

Significantly Insignificant

So full disclosure, I'm frustrated right now.  I know that there is nothing I can do about it.  These thoughts run through my head where I wish every leaf fan would just boycott every game next year as a message to the league that we are tired of getting jobbed in the playoffs. 

But really that isn't feasible and wouldn't do anything and you want the team to win on merit so that is just an angry knee jerk reaction.  I just wish I knew what it was going to take for the Leafs to win a playoff series.
"We can't change what's done, we can only move on." - Arthur Morgan

L K

The thing about picks is that Tampa throws them all the time.

Looking back in both Tampa goals.  Interference led to the odd man rush.  The second goal Muzzin had his stick pulled out of his hands.   Officiating standard was just pure garbage.

I'm not sure how you fix that though.  The playoff format isn't changing.   Tampa isn't getting worse.  Florida isn't getting worse.  Montreal is getting better.  How do we toughen them up enough to get away with cheating because this team never seems to get the benefit of the doubt with calls

bill0199

Quote from: Guilt Trip on May 14, 2022, 09:33:09 PM
Quote from: Stronger Than All on May 14, 2022, 09:23:13 PM
Is it bad I want the Oilers to lose just because we did?

That commentor us such a homer, but we can't have homers on tv.
He's a homer for any Canadian team...he did a Leaf game earlier this year and was exactly the same...I like him...and yup want EDM to lose regardless. I do however hope Calgary wins.
I hear ya. I don't want to live in a world where we are knocked out in round one and a team that relies on on Cody Ceci as a defender gets to advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk