Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

R1, G7: Lightning @ Leafs - May 14th, 7:00pm - CBC, TSN 1050

Started by CarltonTheBear, May 13, 2022, 11:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Bender

Quote from: L K on May 14, 2022, 08:59:35 PM
I'm just gutted right now.  The Leafs put it all on the line there.  Can't hold it against them. 

One team got a goal called back.  The other team got gifted a 5 on 3 when trailing.  Officiating was shit in this game.  The amount of holding Tampa got away with behind the play was absurd.
The series reffing was garbage. That hit on Bunting should've been something. They gifted Tampa calls last game for them to tie and win the game. It's atrocious. At this point I'm thinking there are enough refs that are as tired as the rest of the league about hearing about the Leafs so they job them.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Nik

It'll be interesting to see if the chasm between the good teams and the bad teams remains next year. This was just a weird year overall. To get a 110 point defending champ team in the first round was just the sort of wacky nonsense that only happens to the Leafs.

But you might as well laugh about it, right?
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

herman

I did have a fun thought back in game 5 if we dropped the series:
Dump every useful sub-Matthews star for a haul of 1sts from a spectrum of teams and soft tank to stack the deck for winning the Connor Bedard sweepstakes.
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed #scumbag

CarltonTheBear

This is a completely different feeling than past years. The top players all showed up. We got mostly good goaltending. We got mostly good defence. We outplayed the 2-time reigning Cup champs for most of the series. Including game 7 in my opinion. We lost this one because the bounces didn't go our way, the calls didn't go our way, and we ran into a team that was able to match our elite level hockey in the first round of the playoffs.

The idea of making significant changes to the team (what would that even mean at this point) seems over the top to me. Although I've said this before, I don't necessarily think the team needs to be 100% married to Keefe. Anybody on the team is upgradeable but I'm not convinced there's a GM available that'd be better than Dubas, or a winger available that'd be better than Nylander. But it's somewhat reasonable to think there might be a coach out there available better than Keefe. Trotz, maybe? It's too bad Boudreau didn't hold off on his decision to stay with Vancouver for a bit longer.

Zee

Quote from: herman on May 14, 2022, 09:14:51 PM
I did have a fun thought back in game 5 if we dropped the series:
Dump every useful sub-Matthews star for a haul of 1sts from a spectrum of teams and soft tank to stack the deck for winning the Connor Bedard sweepstakes.
Nobody is giving you an unprotected 1st for next year

WhatIfGodWasALeaf

Quote from: bustaheims on May 14, 2022, 09:09:41 PM
Quote from: WhatIfGodWasALeaf on May 14, 2022, 09:05:57 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to trying a new head coach.

This was Keefe's first real full season. He helped the team to their best regular season ever. He wasn't out coached in this series, either. I think he deserves another one before the axe comes out.

I don't disagree with you, but he needs make them nasty and cynical like the Bolts and other playoff teams.

I don't want to abandon a 115pt team, but they need to be more cynical.

After the Bluejackets swept the Bolts, they came back mean, cynical, nasty and unafraid to cheat.

Killorn laying on the ice and pulling Muzzin's stick out of his hands on Paul's goal for one of about 50 examples this series.

I don't think I'd fire him, but I wouldn't be against it.

Unlikely to happen though unless Dubas is gone too, which I definitely do not want.

hap_leaf

Quote from: Deebo on May 14, 2022, 09:05:39 PM
Quote from: L K on May 14, 2022, 08:59:35 PM
One team got a goal called back.  The other team got gifted a 5 on 3 when trailing. 

These two right here, changed the series.

Its disappointing, it was a great shot by Tavares, but I heard the whistle clearly on TV, so when it went in I knew it would not count right away. Im sure it was loud at ice level. Sucks but it was the right call.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: TheMightyOdin on May 14, 2022, 09:14:06 PM
Problem is when you care too much.  It's just hockey but it's physically and mentally not healthy the way I react to this team. 
It's just hockey and in the grand scheme of life, it means little. It's entertainment and I was thoroughly entertained this year. Great year overall.

Nik

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on May 14, 2022, 09:15:27 PM
This is a completely different feeling than past years.

It wasn't against a hated rival, it wasn't against a team the Leafs are clearly better than and should wax in 4, they didn't blow a three goal lead in the third....honestly, this isn't even a top 10 playoff disappointment.

You'll have to try harder than that to get me down, Universe.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

L K

Quote from: hap_leaf on May 14, 2022, 09:17:41 PM
Quote from: Deebo on May 14, 2022, 09:05:39 PM
Quote from: L K on May 14, 2022, 08:59:35 PM
One team got a goal called back.  The other team got gifted a 5 on 3 when trailing. 

These two right here, changed the series.

Its disappointing, it was a great shot by Tavares, but I heard the whistle clearly on TV, so when it went in I knew it would not count right away. Im sure it was loud at ice level. Sucks but it was the right call.

We had no idea until saw the penalty box open.  The crowd was going nuts even before the goal

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Nik on May 14, 2022, 09:19:11 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on May 14, 2022, 09:15:27 PM
This is a completely different feeling than past years.

It wasn't against a hated rival, it wasn't against a team the Leafs are clearly better than and should wax in 4, they didn't blow a three goal lead in the third....honestly, this isn't even a top 10 playoff disappointment.

You'll have to try harder than that to get me down, Universe.

This feeling of not being completely and absolutely devastated by a playoff loss is very odd. Maybe it's partially just because I've been numb to it, but I do believe it's mostly because of all that.

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: L K on May 14, 2022, 08:59:35 PM
One team got a goal called back.  The other team got gifted a 5 on 3 when trailing.

And then the other didn't get a 5-on-3 while trailing despite a blatant trip on Nylander that the ref clearly witnessed from 4 feet away.

Stronger Than All

Is it bad I want the Oilers to lose just because we did?

That commentor us such a homer, but we can't have homers on tv.

bustaheims

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on May 14, 2022, 09:15:27 PM
This is a completely different feeling than past years. The top players all showed up. We got mostly good goaltending. We got mostly good defence. We outplayed the 2-time reigning Cup champs for most of the series. Including game 7 in my opinion. We lost this one because the bounces didn't go our way, the calls didn't go our way, and we ran into a team that was able to match our elite level hockey in the first round of the playoffs.

The idea of making significant changes to the team (what would that even mean at this point) seems over the top to me. Although I've said this before, I don't necessarily think the team needs to be 100% married to Keefe. Anybody on the team is upgradeable but I'm not convinced there's a GM available that'd be better than Dubas, or a winger available that'd be better than Nylander. But it's somewhat reasonable to think there might be a coach out there available better than Keefe. Trotz, maybe? It's too bad Boudreau didn't hold off on his decision to stay with Vancouver for a bit longer.

Excellent summary. Agree 100%
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

4EVRLEAFAN

Quote from: lamajama on May 14, 2022, 09:08:45 PM
Quote from: 4EVRLEAFAN on May 14, 2022, 08:57:14 PM
Quote from: lamajama on May 14, 2022, 08:49:31 PM
Quote from: 4EVRLEAFAN on May 14, 2022, 08:46:22 PM
I can't believe it, nothing less then Dubas maybe Keefe and one of the big contracts will do, time to make changes.

Don't be a goof.

I'm not being a goof, I'm sick of it, I'm 62 years  old and I'm sick of this, we were the better team again, it should not have gone to game 7 again, up 3-1 last year and 3-2 this year and here we are again. Heads need to roll, period.

You are a goof. This is NOT the same team as the last two years. I'm actually the same age as you and if you actually are a true fan you'd realize this is one of the very best teams the Leafs have ever had. There ARE other great teams you know...just ask Winnipeg and the Flames when the Oilers were crap kicking the rest of the league. There is no easy path to a Cup....which in saying that, last year WAS the best opportunity the Leafs had in many years. THAT'S the team to be choked at.
Yet here we are again.  Mathews only 4 shots and Marner none, zero, you can't win like that, this team needs changes, period.