Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

2021-2022 NHL Thread

Started by Nik, August 13, 2021, 08:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bender

Quote from: Nik on January 02, 2022, 12:05:56 PM

This isn't maybe a real scientific thing here but does anyone else sort of feel like we're in a bit of a low point in terms of talent coming into the league? Like, obviously there haven't been any McDavid types in the last five years but beyond that it feels like we've gotten more busts/disappointments towards the top of the draft than we usually do? Obviously anyone drafted in the last 5 years is young and still has time for their career to take off but it just feels like there's not a ton of young players to be really excited about right now.
Part of me thinks that even in the Ovechkin/Crosby era we had those two and the rest, but looking at the last few drafts since Auston was drafted there haven't been many players that have taken the league by storm. In fact most have been pedestrian except for maybe Cale Makar and a couple others. Kappo Kakko, Jack Hughes, Lafreniere, Hischier, Nolan Patrick, Kotkaniemi, Dahlin. They're not bad players but they're not looking like extra special talents out there, even accounting for them not having to be at Matthews/McDavid level. You wonder if Nylander goes top 3 in many of the recent years' drafts.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Nik

Quote from: Bender on January 02, 2022, 01:06:52 PM
Part of me thinks that even in the Ovechkin/Crosby era we had those two and the rest, but looking at the last few drafts since Auston was drafted there haven't been many players that have taken the league by storm. In fact most have been pedestrian except for maybe Cale Makar and a couple others. Kappo Kakko, Jack Hughes, Lafreniere, Hischier, Nolan Patrick, Kotkaniemi, Dahlin. They're not bad players but they're not looking like extra special talents out there, even accounting for them not having to be at Matthews/McDavid level. You wonder if Nylander goes top 3 in many of the recent years' drafts.

Yeah I was going to say that the three best guys to come into the league in the last five years so far are Makar, Quinn Hughes and Svechnikov in Carolina. I think there are a lot of other good players out there but it does feel like a bit of a dry patch.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

CarltonTheBear

Reminds me of this post from when the NHL announced players wouldn't be going to the Olympics, and how Canada specifically has been lagging a little in producing elite players post-McDavid:

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1473747622963912713

Nik

I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

bustaheims

I dunno. I feel like a team lead by McDavid and B├ędard is probably going to be pretty good.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

L K

Quote from: Nik on January 02, 2022, 12:05:56 PM

This isn't maybe a real scientific thing here but does anyone else sort of feel like we're in a bit of a low point in terms of talent coming into the league? Like, obviously there haven't been any McDavid types in the last five years but beyond that it feels like we've gotten more busts/disappointments towards the top of the draft than we usually do? Obviously anyone drafted in the last 5 years is young and still has time for their career to take off but it just feels like there's not a ton of young players to be really excited about right now.

This draft doesn't do it for me either.  Next year should be one of those drafts though.

Nik

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-new-arena-deal-terminated-1.6302872

Imagine looking at the world today and thinking "Yeah, millions more in public money should be going into a hockey arena".
- Vince Lombardi

Ballardisdead

Ballardisdead

Is bookmaking and wagering still allowed during this current "play regardless" NHL protocol?

CarltonTheBear

Deciding not to play for Buffalo this season really paying off.

herman

Frank E

They've really got to do something about these egregious head shots in the NHL.

bustaheims

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan