Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Detroit trades Mantha to Washington

Started by CarltonTheBear, April 12, 2021, 03:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guilt Trip

Nik

Dang. That's legit. I think he can be good.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

CarltonTheBear

It's a little surprising to see Detroit move Mantha but at the same time he turns 27 years old this September and the Wings are probably at least 3 years from being a legit playoff team so I can understand why they wanted to turn him into assets that'll help them more than a 30+ year old Mantha might.

Vrana's also a pretty decent player to fill his spot in the meantime (and a year and a half younger).

bustaheims

Didn't expect a deal of this magnitude this year.

Huge win for Detroit, I'd say. Vrana produces on a similar level to Mantha, and they get 1st and 2nd round picks! Wow.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Guilt Trip

Quote from: bustaheims on April 12, 2021, 03:43:11 PM
Didn't expect a deal of this magnitude this year.

Huge win for Detroit, I'd say. Vrana produces on a similar level to Mantha, and they get 1st and 2nd round picks! Wow.
Agree....good job by Stevie Y. Mantha is signed for 3 more years, Vrana is an RFA.

Nik

I will say that even though I think it'll be Tampa, whoever comes out of that division will have survived a bloodbath.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

bustaheims

Quote from: Nik on April 12, 2021, 03:49:11 PM

I will say that even though I think it'll be Tampa, whoever comes out of that division will have survived a bloodbath.

Err. Washington and Tampa are in different divisions...
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Bender

Am I the only one who thinks this is a pretty big overpay? What does Mantha do that Vrana doesn't already?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Bender on April 12, 2021, 03:55:14 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this is a pretty big overpay? What does Mantha do that Vrana doesn't already?

Be 6'5", 230 lbs?

But yeah I was actually pretty surprised at how high Vrana's goal/point totals are.

bustaheims

Mantha provides some cost certainty going forward. Vrana doesn't right now. Still, the difference doesn't feel like 1st and 2nd round picks, but there's also something in there for taking on Panik's contract.

Nik

Quote from: bustaheims on April 12, 2021, 03:50:50 PM
Quote from: Nik on April 12, 2021, 03:49:11 PM

Err. Washington and Tampa are in different divisions...

Huh. Well there you go.
- Vince Lombardi

CarltonTheBear

The other day I was convinced Tampa and Boston were still in the same division.

Zee

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on April 12, 2021, 04:05:10 PM
The other day I was convinced Tampa and Boston were still in the same division.

I don't care about any American teams until the Leafs have to play one in the semifinal.

Nik

Quote from: bustaheims on April 12, 2021, 04:00:04 PM

Mantha provides some cost certainty going forward. Vrana doesn't right now. Still, the difference doesn't feel like 1st and 2nd round picks, but there's also something in there for taking on Panik's contract.

Also, all due respect to Dylan Larkin, Vrana's done it on a much stronger team.
- Vince Lombardi