Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

2021 Blue Jays General Discussion Thread

Started by Nik, January 19, 2021, 05:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldTimeHockey

Quote from: Nik on January 28, 2021, 10:26:07 AM

Well, the issue with Grichuk right now is playing time. If he's the 4th outfielder and you figure the DH spot is mainly going to see some mix of Vladdy/Rowdy/Kirk then he's not going to get a lot of at-bats. He's an awfully good 4th outfielder to have around if you're going to be paying him anyway but I think some people think that with the line-up so righthanded heavy that there may be value in shipping him out for peanuts and finding a lefty/switch hitter who can be around for pinch hitting duties. That or you make an offer of prospects to a team for a pitcher so attractive that they take Grichuk too.
Roger that. Makes sense.

Deebo

Quote from: OldTimeHockey on January 28, 2021, 10:06:02 AM
Quote from: Nik on January 28, 2021, 09:51:18 AM

I know the hope for some is they add two more starting pitchers with Walker and Paxton being the guys most mentioned as free agents. If they do that, or add one guy and trade for another, then Matz is gravy. That said, it seems weird when you figure they're probably near their spending limit for the off-season to add Matz at 5 million so maybe this means they're only targeting one guy?

Do they have any significant money guys rumoured or available to be moved out?

In addition to Grichuk, maybe Roark.

herman

I haven't followed the Jays for a bit. Do we have any good hitters who can take the ball oppo? I know the big ticket is always upward swings and dead pull dingers, but I like base path pressure to manufacture runs and tire out opposing starters too.
#27 #TeamFasstholes

Nik

I don't entirely understand the interest in opposite field hitting but you can look up any player's spray chart, by year or for their career, on Fangraphs.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Highlander

Quote from: Deebo on January 28, 2021, 01:03:14 PM
Quote from: OldTimeHockey on January 28, 2021, 10:06:02 AM
Quote from: Nik on January 28, 2021, 09:51:18 AM

I know the hope for some is they add two more starting pitchers with Walker and Paxton being the guys most mentioned as free agents. If they do that, or add one guy and trade for another, then Matz is gravy. That said, it seems weird when you figure they're probably near their spending limit for the off-season to add Matz at 5 million so maybe this means they're only targeting one guy?

Do they have any significant money guys rumoured or available to be moved out?

In addition to Grichuk, maybe Roark.
I'll so anything to get rid of the Doark.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

OldTimeHockey

Quote from: herman on January 28, 2021, 04:24:33 PM
I haven't followed the Jays for a bit. Do we have any good hitters who can take the ball oppo? I know the big ticket is always upward swings and dead pull dingers, but I like base path pressure to manufacture runs and tire out opposing starters too.

I heard Devon White might be available.

Nik

MLB's top 100 prospect list is out:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects

Jays do alright. 3 guys in the top 50 plus SWR at 87. Pearson is at #10 and is the top RHP.

I think the interesting thing is that with Springer signed and Bichette at SS that makes 2B maybe the best eventual spot for Austin Martin which maybe makes Groshans a good piece to use in a trade for pitching.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Deebo

Quote from: Nik on January 30, 2021, 11:57:58 AM

MLB's top 100 prospect list is out:

https://www.mlb.com/prospects

Jays do alright. 3 guys in the top 50 plus SWR at 87. Pearson is at #10 and is the top RHP.

I think the interesting thing is that with Springer signed and Bichette at SS that makes 2B maybe the best eventual spot for Austin Martin which maybe makes Groshans a good piece to use in a trade for pitching.

I would worry about counting on Springer in CF for more than a couple seasons. If Groshans is involved in a trade for pitching, it would have to be for a #2 starter under control for at least 3 years.

My strategy for the rotation this year would be to sign someone like Odorizzi or Paxton and if you can, trade for a more proven starter without including a top prospect.

If a deal like that can't be made, go into the year and see how the market develops and how rotation depth performs during the season and leading up to the deadline and make your addition then if needed.

Nik

Quote from: Deebo on January 30, 2021, 01:19:06 PM
I would worry about counting on Springer in CF for more than a couple seasons. If Groshans is involved in a trade for pitching, it would have to be for a #2 starter under control for at least 3 years.

Realistically I don't think you can ever really game plan more than a few years out anyway. I think Springer should be good in CF for another 3-4 years and if not you would still have Martin around or you just go out and get someone new.

I agree that you'd only trade Groshans if the return is something legit along the lines of the Snell or Darvish deals.

Quote from: Deebo on January 30, 2021, 01:19:06 PM
My strategy for the rotation this year would be to sign someone like Odorizzi or Paxton and if you can, trade for a more proven starter without including a top prospect.

Again, I agree but I personally hope that Taijuan Walker is the guy.
- Vince Lombardi

herman

Quote from: Nik on January 29, 2021, 09:10:16 AM

I don't entirely understand the interest in opposite field hitting but you can look up any player's spray chart, by year or for their career, on Fangraphs.

Thanks!
#27 #TeamFasstholes

L K

So is a lockout inevitable after this season?

bustaheims

Quote from: L K on February 02, 2021, 09:40:46 AM

Strong possibility with the way things have gone so far - though, given MLB's history, if games are going to be lost, it's more likely via strike (which, for practical purposes, is a distinction without a meaningful difference, it just changes who initiates it).
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Nik

Yeah but it's been coming for a while. Between the service time stuff, teams not spending to be competitive and the luxury tax serving as a salary cap in all but name while profits have consistently gone up along with franchise values was going to lead to a fight regardless of the pandemic. What's gone on the last two years is a symptom of a lousy relationship, not the cause of one.
- Vince Lombardi

L K

Quote from: Nik on February 02, 2021, 10:38:55 AM

Yeah but it's been coming for a while. Between the service time stuff, teams not spending to be competitive and the luxury tax serving as a salary cap in all but name while profits have consistently gone up along with franchise values was going to lead to a fight regardless of the pandemic. What's gone on the last two years is a symptom of a lousy relationship, not the cause of one.

Oh absolutely.  I'm just enjoying round two of "the MLBPA isn't bargaining in good faith" from the media when its extremely obviously why they don't want to open up negotiation on the CBA to put the season into gear when it would let MLB impose whatever the hell they want.

Nik

- Vince Lombardi