Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

2020 Blue Jays General Season Thread

Started by hockeyfan1, February 19, 2020, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L K

Ryu was bad.   His fastball was around 87MPH.   I don?t know if that was injury or just rust.  If it?s injury fine, hold him back for Game 2 but I will never understand the logic of sitting your #1 pitcher who was on regular rest for the opener.

I also don?t understand why Rowdy was good enough to pinch hit but not good enough to DH in Game 2.

Neither of those things change the outcome of the series but they are bizarre decisions to me.

Highlander

Ryu was terrible, must be something to it. Hate Tropicana Field.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Arn

Clearly going off topic a bit, but in response to that Highlander, I've been to loads of ballparks including Tropicana field and it IS by far the shittiest I've been to, but.... I actually kinda liked and enjoyed it. (I'd rank it and Skydome near the bottom sadly overall though).
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Guilt Trip

Skydome is 30 years old and I always found it cold, not in a temperature way.

Dappleganger

Quote from: Guilt Trip on October 02, 2020, 09:12:19 AM
Skydome is 30 years old and I always found it cold, not in a temperature way.

I'm a little biased. Going from the left field bleachers at Exhibition Stadium to the 500 Level at SkyDome as a little kid, was pretty much the coolest thing ever. The team was good and the crowds were huge.  The Skydome was packed every game pretty much until 1995. I'll never forget coming out of the tunnel and seeing the massive crowd in that massive stadium for the first time. It was a good time to be a Jays fan. 

In conclusion, the SkyDome is awesome.

bustaheims

Quote from: Dappleganger on October 02, 2020, 09:21:55 AM
I'm a little biased. Going from the left field bleachers at Exhibition Stadium to the 500 Level at SkyDome as a little kid, was pretty much the coolest thing ever. The team was good and the crowds were huge.  The Skydome was packed every game pretty much until 1995. I'll never forget coming out of the tunnel and seeing the massive crowd in that massive stadium for the first time. It was a good time to be a Jays fan. 

In conclusion, the SkyDome is awesome.

Agreed. The Dome was never the most beautiful stadium. It doesn't exude warmth on its own. However, when it's full, it's can be a great place to watch a game. In the early 90s, it was great, and, even recently, when the Jays were in marching to the playoffs, it had a fun atmosphere. Most of the time, though, it's too big, too cold, etc. It's a bit of a relic.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Joe

Having gone to a few stadiums in the US (Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Anaheim and philly) the Rogers centre feels like a parking garage.

If the roof is open it?s ok, but it?s got nothing on those open air parks I was in.

Highlander

its time we got a state of the art ballpark, made just for baseball (and rock concerts)
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

OldTimeHockey

Quote from: Joe S. on October 02, 2020, 09:56:09 AM
Having gone to a few stadiums in the US (Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Anaheim and philly) the Rogers centre feels like a parking garage.

If the roof is open it?s ok, but it?s got nothing on those open air parks I was in.

I remember going to the Skydome as a teenager and thinking it was the coolest thing ever. Especially after watching games from the ice cold bleachers at Exhibition. I've gone many times over the years and while it's cold, I've always enjoyed myself. There isn't much character there though.

Highlander

I never have been to the Skydome, sorry to say, but I spent a lot of time in the bleachers at Exhibition stadium for both the Jays and Argo's.  Quite a bit of time in the Big O for the Expo's.. that place is a true cavern.
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Nik

I think the Skydome just came around at the wrong time. I think the next MLB team to build a park after them was either Baltimore(or maybe the White Sox) and either way it really kicked off the fake-nostalgic, baseball-only old-timey vibe that's much more conducive to a nice baseball atmosphere than the cold, concrete spaceship thing the Dome had. I went to games a lot in the early, jam-packed days too and while the atmosphere was good among 55,000+ it was always a lousy place to watch a game.

It's a shame they couldn't have somehow used this season to tear it down and build something more in-line with modern thoughts on stadium architecture.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Bender

Quote from: Nik on October 03, 2020, 10:17:25 AM

I think the Skydome just came around at the wrong time. I think the next MLB team to build a park after them was either Baltimore(or maybe the White Sox) and either way it really kicked off the fake-nostalgic, baseball-only old-timey vibe that's much more conducive to a nice baseball atmosphere than the cold, concrete spaceship thing the Dome had. I went to games a lot in the early, jam-packed days too and while the atmosphere was good among 55,000+ it was always a lousy place to watch a game.

It's a shame they couldn't have somehow used this season to tear it down and build something more in-line with modern thoughts on stadium architecture.
But it also serves as a venue for other things like concerts. Would you want the next stadium to be open air?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Highlander

Hopefully they can design something that can close that looks attractive. 
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Joe

Quote from: Highlander on October 03, 2020, 12:11:24 PM
Hopefully they can design something that can close that looks attractive.

Look at the Brewers stadium, that should be the template. 

Nik

Quote from: Bender on October 03, 2020, 11:03:41 AM
But it also serves as a venue for other things like concerts. Would you want the next stadium to be open air?

I think you'd want a stadium along the lines of what they've built in Milwaukee or Seattle, with a retractable roof but still with the feel and amenities of a modern ballpark.

And I think those stadiums can still hold concerts for the few venues that need that sort of capacity. I know the Cowboys' stadium in Dallas can do concerts.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi