Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

McDavid

Started by Nik, October 02, 2019, 11:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nik


So obviously this is entirely speculation but it seems now that there at least seems to be at least some sort of "McDavid might ask for a trade" vibe out there what with the continued seasons of futility and his now being reduced to playing with pretty depressing linemates.

So, without thinking it's incredibly likely despite that, I suppose I was wondering what people thought might happen if McDavid did demand a trade. Would Edmonton keep him regardless? If not, what would they prioritize in a return? A top tier player or combination of players or would they want elite prospects and picks in order to at least partly combat the issue of having to hope that who they traded for would want to be in Edmonton?

And from our perspective, would you want the Leafs to be in on such a derby? What should they offer if so? Keep in mind that a winning bid would probably not have to be something that, just on the balance, Edmonton might like but would also have to be better than other competing bids(and there would probably be roughly 30 of those).
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

herman

"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed #scumbag

CarltonTheBear

A 3-way trade between Toronto, Edmonton, and Arizona where Toronto gets McDavid, Arizona gets Matthews, and Edmonton gets a boat load of futures from both teams would pretty much be the coolest thing ever.


Zee

Well year 12 will be when be can officially start with another team after his deal expires (barring a trade before that) so that 13 year timeline might just fit

Peter D.

I'd give anything to have McDavid as a Leaf.

Frank E

I'd trade Matthews for McDavid.

Frank E

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on October 02, 2019, 01:01:43 PM
A 3-way trade between Toronto, Edmonton, and Arizona where Toronto gets McDavid, Arizona gets Matthews, and Edmonton gets a boat load of futures from both teams would pretty much be the coolest thing ever.

Toronto gives up - Auston Matthews

Edmonton gives up - Connor McDavid

Arizona gives up - just futures?

I can't imagine that this works for Edmonton at all.

Try again.


CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Frank E on October 03, 2019, 12:44:11 PM
Toronto gives up - Auston Matthews

Edmonton gives up - Connor McDavid

Arizona gives up - just futures?

I can't imagine that this works for Edmonton at all.

Try again.

I mean I did say "a boat load" of futures.

Average Joes

I would think that things would have to be extremely bad for him to demand a trade. Like the owner shooting his dog that his wife bought before she passed away. That sounds familiar.   

Edmonton will want at least a young 1st line C in return and not another rebuild. Mathews + Johnsson or Kappy. 

Bates

Arizona gives up OEL, Hayton, plus futures.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on October 03, 2019, 12:52:40 PM
Quote from: Frank E on October 03, 2019, 12:44:11 PM
Toronto gives up - Auston Matthews

Edmonton gives up - Connor McDavid

Arizona gives up - just futures?

I can't imagine that this works for Edmonton at all.

Try again.

I mean I did say "a boat load" of futures.
Well if the Leafs are giving up Matthews, it won't be a boatload from us.

Nik

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on October 02, 2019, 01:01:43 PM
A 3-way trade between Toronto, Edmonton, and Arizona where Toronto gets McDavid, Arizona gets Matthews, and Edmonton gets a boat load of futures from both teams would pretty much be the coolest thing ever.

I really don't understand the pull of Matthews to Arizona. The idea that a local guy starring for the hometeam is going to make a massive world of a difference in that market seems really far-fetched to me.

The whole point of this is getting exciting young stars out of small Western markets that nobody cares about.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Bates

Quote from: Nik the Trik on October 03, 2019, 01:55:19 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on October 02, 2019, 01:01:43 PM
A 3-way trade between Toronto, Edmonton, and Arizona where Toronto gets McDavid, Arizona gets Matthews, and Edmonton gets a boat load of futures from both teams would pretty much be the coolest thing ever.

I really don't understand the pull of Matthews to Arizona. The idea that a local guy starring for the hometeam is going to make a massive world of a difference in that market seems really far-fetched to me.

The whole point of this is getting exciting young stars out of small Western markets that nobody cares about.

I don't think you are correct about Arizona. The buzz from Matthews being drafted 1st has been a huge boost to minor hockey, him coming home would dwarf it.

Highlander

Quote from: Nik the Trik on October 02, 2019, 11:10:04 AM

So obviously this is entirely speculation but it seems now that there at least seems to be at least some sort of "McDavid might ask for a trade" vibe out there what with the continued seasons of futility and his now being reduced to playing with pretty depressing linemates.

So, without thinking it's incredibly likely despite that, I suppose I was wondering what people thought might happen if McDavid did demand a trade. Would Edmonton keep him regardless? If not, what would they prioritize in a return? A top tier player or combination of players or would they want elite prospects and picks in order to at least partly combat the issue of having to hope that who they traded for would want to be in Edmonton?

And from our perspective, would you want the Leafs to be in on such a derby? What should they offer if so? Keep in mind that a winning bid would probably not have to be something that, just on the balance, Edmonton might like but would also have to be better than other competing bids(and there would probably be roughly 30 of those).
Let send Marner and Butt Cheeks over in a straight deal for Davide
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki