Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

2019-2020 NHL Thread

Started by CarltonTheBear, June 19, 2019, 10:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarltonTheBear

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1301219862447108098

This is a pretty random thought but it's incredible that The Fourth Period has become a credentialed and fairly respected hockey media outlet after starting as a clearly fake trade rumours website 20 years ago.

Frank E

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on September 01, 2020, 02:44:47 PM
The Zurich Lions just became very interested in his RFA negotiations.

I keep quoting this idiot Carlton today, but this is a very underappreciated post.

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Frank E on September 02, 2020, 05:20:38 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on September 01, 2020, 02:44:47 PM
The Zurich Lions just became very interested in his RFA negotiations.

I keep quoting this idiot Carlton today, but this is a very underappreciated post.

Frank E

So, is Detroit planning on icing a team next year?

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

They have a boat load of cap space, and 9 skaters signed at this point for next season.

EDIT:  Ottawa too.

CarltonTheBear

I could see Yzerman maybe hitting up some of his old Lightning players that Tampa will need to cut for cap space like Tyler Johnson.

Nik

Quote from: Frank E on September 03, 2020, 11:19:20 AM

They have a boat load of cap space, and 9 skaters signed at this point for next season.

Ottawa has roughly 8 million picks in the first two rounds. Some of them will make the team.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

bustaheims

Quote from: Nik on September 04, 2020, 08:35:17 AM

Ottawa has roughly 8 million picks in the first two rounds. Some of them will make the team.

9 picks in the first 71 (including 2 in the top 5). This is a make-or-break draft for their front office. Have to imagine they'll try to flip some of those picks for NHL-ready pieces.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Nik on September 04, 2020, 08:35:17 AM

They should get some good players out of all those picks. If not their staff sucks.

CarltonTheBear

Both teams could/should also do what the Leafs did in 2015 and sign a bunch of free agents off the scrap heap to trade later at the deadline.

bustaheims

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on September 04, 2020, 09:12:12 AM
Both teams could/should also do what the Leafs did in 2015 and sign a bunch of free agents off the scrap heap to trade later at the deadline.

Yup. And pluck some expiring contracts on the cheap from teams looks to shed cap space, and flip those guys at the deadline for better assets than they gave up. Obviously, there's a limit on how successful this strategy can be, all you really need to do it hit on one of them to make it worthwhile (assuming you don't part with much of value to pick up these contracts). If you can turn some 4th round picks (or marginal prospects, etc.) in the offseason into a 2nd round pick at the deadline, that's a win.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Bender

That Dallas Vegas game was so insanely boring.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Bender on September 07, 2020, 09:41:24 AM
That Dallas Vegas game was so insanely boring.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

It had a few moments and good hits but overall....snoozefest. Could you imagine a Dallas/Isles finals?

CarltonTheBear

If the cap space could work, which it won't, I'd love to be in on that. I really don't get it from Pittsburgh's perspective. Unless they can sign Pietrangelo they aren't getting a better defenceman than Letang this offseason.

herman

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on September 08, 2020, 08:40:32 AM
If the cap space could work, which it won't, I'd love to be in on that. I really don't get it from Pittsburgh's perspective. Unless they can sign Pietrangelo they aren't getting a better defenceman than Letang this offseason.

Cody Ceci, bro
#27 #TeamFasstholes