Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Armchair GM 2019-2020

Started by herman, May 23, 2019, 09:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hockeyfan1

Some practical trade potential acquisitions for the Leaf:  these come with some flexibility contract-wise.

https://dailyhive.com/toronto/maple-leafs-trade-deadline-targets-2020

Kovalchuk as a "rental"?
Thornton?  Ekholm?

dekedastardly

I wouldn't want any of those guys. Just trade whoever Anaheim wants for Josh Manson.

Zee

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on February 20, 2020, 03:29:35 PM
Quote from: Zee on February 20, 2020, 03:09:41 PM
I'm just looking at the playoff implications.  Unless Thornton has a burning desire to play for the Leafs since he's from London, Ontario, he'd be better off going to Boston who's guaranteed a playoff spot at this point.  Could be a "going home" moment for him as he started there, yes there was a bad split but time heals all wounds.  Also, Thornton would be 4th line center on Boston so no implication to the top 3 center spots.  He could also get PP time and chase his Cup.

Does Thornton want to win a Cup playing 4C in a city that's practically bored with championships, or does he want to play a slightly larger role in a city where he would instantly become a god if he won? Come home, Joe.

I dunno. Does any player really believe they'll finally be the guy to help lead the Leafs to the promised land? Its been 53 years man, he probably picks Boston if those are his 2 choices.

CarltonTheBear

Friedman and McKenzie seem to be saying the same thing re. Barrie: the Leafs would consider trading him only if it's for another defenceman or for assets they could use to acquire another defenceman right away.

That seems like a tough thing to pull off at the deadline though.

AvroArrow

Two sample deals to mull over.  Curious about people's thoughts.  They're not my idea, but come from Twitter, but I'm removing the source for simplicity.

Severson for Engval, Korshkov and 2nd

Manson + pick for Kapanen Dermott likely a prospect

Hopefully less talk about the source...

Andy

"Maybe" a pick? I'm not so sure I'd even take Manson over Dermott straight up...

bustaheims

Yeah. I don't buy it. Especially with that username.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

L K

Quote from: AvroArrow on February 21, 2020, 05:03:27 PM
https://twitter.com/mikelitorus_69/status/1230952135673733120

Grain of salt and all that, figured it might at least generate some discussion.

This twitter guy is Incarcerated Bob, Code, Eklund all over again.   he made a tweet about the LA trade and now he posts a bunch of nonsense and everyone eats it up.

Frank E

Quote from: bustaheims on February 21, 2020, 05:18:38 PM
Yeah. I don't buy it. Especially with that username.

I had to read it 3 times, but I got it!

AvroArrow

Quote from: L K on February 21, 2020, 05:19:34 PM
This twitter guy is Incarcerated Bob, Code, Eklund all over again.   he made a tweet about the LA trade and now he posts a bunch of nonsense and everyone eats it up.

To be fair, he didn't just make a tweet about the LA trade, he nailed it.  But of course, that doesn't mean he's a connected insider, hence grain of salt.

AvroArrow

I don't like the Seversen deal, but would do the Manson one.  I do think there should be a pick or something coming back with Manson, though.

bustaheims

Quote from: AvroArrow on February 21, 2020, 05:42:16 PM
Quote from: L K on February 21, 2020, 05:19:34 PM

To be fair, he didn't just make a tweet about the LA trade, he nailed it.  But of course, that doesn't mean he's a connected insider, hence grain of salt.

Yeah. Maybe he's knows a guy who knows a guy, but I don't see any reason to believe he's actually legit.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

AvroArrow

Quote from: bustaheims on February 21, 2020, 05:49:03 PM
Yeah. Maybe he's knows a guy who knows a guy, but I don't see any reason to believe he's actually legit.

Or right place, right time and overheard it.

I wasn't trying to imply he's a legit insider, just thought the two trade proposals seemed reasonable, value wise, and might warrant discussion.

bustaheims

The Severson deal is close to workable. I'd pass on the Manson one.

AvroArrow

Quote from: bustaheims on February 21, 2020, 06:07:17 PM
The Severson deal is close to workable. I'd pass on the Manson one.

See, I'm the opposite.  I'd rather keep Engvall over Kapanen long-term, and I think Dermott is expendable with Sandin ready for the show.