Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Coaching and management changes around the league

Started by herman, April 08, 2019, 11:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zee

Quote from: Zee on June 30, 2023, 12:30:10 PMDoes Babcock have a news conference tomorrow where he has a smug grin, "I'm back, let's go!"

I was just kidding but...

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1674842173957873664

herman

CarltonTheBear

Thought this tweet/info from Jack Han is also worth mentioning:

https://twitter.com/JhanHky/status/1701669871547765070

It says a lot about how garbage spittin chiclets is that they could find a story to bash Mike Babcock of all people where they end up looking like the toxic ones.

Frank E

The lack of real journalism on these platforms is a real problem in this social media age.

cw

Quote from: Frank E on September 12, 2023, 04:15:35 PMThe lack of real journalism on these platforms is a real problem in this social media age.

Sure is.

Way beyond sports media. Seems to be tearing the US apart.

Zee

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on September 12, 2023, 02:57:32 PMThought this tweet/info from Jack Han is also worth mentioning:

https://twitter.com/JhanHky/status/1701669871547765070

It says a lot about how garbage spittin chiclets is that they could find a story to bash Mike Babcock of all people where they end up looking like the toxic ones.

This would involve giving Babcock the benefit of the doubt, of which I'm not prepared to do.  Also, the chicklets report was based on a player from Columbus reaching out to Bissonette with the story, so at the very least not all players were on board with what Babcock was doing.

bustaheims

It's weird, but it definitely doesn't seem malicious. Feels like trying to create a controversy out of a pretty innocuous oddity. 
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Frank E

"A member of the team" sent me a text, so it must be true.

I certainly hope he's not depicting that it's true based on a text from one player.

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Zee on September 13, 2023, 08:38:15 AMThis would involve giving Babcock the benefit of the doubt, of which I'm not prepared to do.  Also, the chicklets report was based on a player from Columbus reaching out to Bissonette with the story, so at the very least not all players were on board with what Babcock was doing.

The thing is there's very obviously truth to this story, the chicklets crew is just spinning it in the worst possible way. Babcock asking players and crew that he's met for the first time for pictures of their family and where they went on vacation over the summer isn't weird at all. It seems like a pretty solid way to get to know people beyond what they are as hockey players. Multiple people have essentially confirmed that this is just something Babcock does to break the ice with people. It's basically adult show and tell, and while as an introvert that sounds like hell it's pretty standard team building stuff.

For whatever reason Biz and co. (they hate Babcock and they love attention, the former is valid the latter not really) have spun that into "Babcock forcefully grabs peoples phones off them to see if there's pictures of drugs or nudes or other illicit activities to confirm that they're good people and if they refuse they're off the team".

Like I get it, Babcock sucks. And people are entitled to their opinion that he shouldn't coach in the NHL. But like wait until he actually F's up before taking the pitchforks out again.

Dappleganger

Quote from: Frank E on September 13, 2023, 09:30:42 AM"A member of the team" sent me a text, so it must be true.

I certainly hope he's not depicting that it's true based on a text from one player.

That text doesn't seem like it's coming from a member of the Blue Jackets, "He's doing it to guys in Columbus now same shit he did to me - guys need to know that's coming" -- Seems to imply it happened to the texter previously. The whole thing seems bogus.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Dappleganger on September 13, 2023, 11:14:14 AM
Quote from: Frank E on September 13, 2023, 09:30:42 AM"A member of the team" sent me a text, so it must be true.

That text doesn't seem like it's coming from a member of the Blue Jackets, "He's doing it to guys in Columbus now same shit he did to me - guys need to know that's coming" -- Seems to imply it happened to the texter previously. The whole thing seems bogus.

So Leafs or Wings player. The whole picture time thing is weird to me.

Arn

For Babcock, he probably does have to be extra careful. Things he thinks are innocuous may not come across that way based on his past.

But I also find the likes of guys like chiclets to also be representative of the more poisonous side of the sport too.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Dappleganger

Poisonous you say...

Edit: The wording of that post sounds mildly like a sexual assault and with the recent Hockey Canada scandal, not a great look imo.

https://twitter.com/BizNasty2point0/status/1701633099371860220

Bullfrog

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on September 13, 2023, 09:47:49 AM
Quote from: Zee on September 13, 2023, 08:38:15 AMThis would involve giving Babcock the benefit of the doubt, of which I'm not prepared to do.  Also, the chicklets report was based on a player from Columbus reaching out to Bissonette with the story, so at the very least not all players were on board with what Babcock was doing.

The thing is there's very obviously truth to this story, the chicklets crew is just spinning it in the worst possible way. Babcock asking players and crew that he's met for the first time for pictures of their family and where they went on vacation over the summer isn't weird at all. It seems like a pretty solid way to get to know people beyond what they are as hockey players. Multiple people have essentially confirmed that this is just something Babcock does to break the ice with people. It's basically adult show and tell, and while as an introvert that sounds like hell it's pretty standard team building stuff.

For whatever reason Biz and co. (they hate Babcock and they love attention, the former is valid the latter not really) have spun that into "Babcock forcefully grabs peoples phones off them to see if there's pictures of drugs or nudes or other illicit activities to confirm that they're good people and if they refuse they're off the team".

Like I get it, Babcock sucks. And people are entitled to their opinion that he shouldn't coach in the NHL. But like wait until he actually F's up before taking the pitchforks out again.

I'm with you on the last part, but the rest is a bit weird. I wouldn't call it solid. What if a player doesn't want to share his personal photos? Now he's in the awkward position of feeling pressured to do so because it's the coach.

It'd be pretty strange if an office manager requested to see photos of their employees.