Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Report: Bautista and the Jays are close

Started by CarltonTheBear, January 16, 2017, 08:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deebo

Quote from: Captain Canuck on January 16, 2017, 06:29:52 PMWhere is the competition for his services to justify such an offer?

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/821020339593506819

According to Jeff Passan, there are bigger money offers elsewhere.

Andy

Quote from: Nik the Trik on January 16, 2017, 02:34:35 PM
Quote from: Andy on January 16, 2017, 02:22:46 PM
Oh I don't mean to suggest that I think these two are equals, or that Morales will even come that close to matching EE's numbers at Rogers Centre. I just liked the fact that Morales was near the top of the league in hard hit balls last year and it looked like his ball trajectory/spray stats could work very well here. I think we'll see a surge in homers and a decent spike in Slugging/OPS. It also doesn't hurt that Gibbons' playing style is more conducive to Morales and his complete lack of footspeed. I don't think a mid-800 OPS is a stretch of the imagination and, for 11 mill, that ain't half bad.

I think that could all very well be true but I wonder about his ability to play as well in the field as Edwin. Not that Edwin was going to challenge for Gold Gloves but having the DH spot relatively open was a big plus for a team that now is going to be relying a ton on aging sluggers. Especially if they're bringing Bautista back I tend to think not having that flexibility is going to be a real negative if they want to get 550 at-bats out of most of these guys.

Fair enough, those are all legitimate concerns. Actually I thought Edwin was starting to look particularly good at first last year. Pearce is still an upgrade defensively but yea, some versatility at the DH spot for Bautista and the aged roster would be ideal. 

Nik

Apparently it's done. One year, pending physical.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Nik the Trik on January 17, 2017, 02:56:00 PM

Apparently it's done. One year, pending physical.

QuoteAccording to TSN Baseball Insider Steve Phillips, the 36-year-old slugger signed a one-year, $18 million deal with the Blue Jays, with mutual options that could see the contract be worth up to $60 million over three years including incentives.

http://www.tsn.ca/jays-reach-one-year-18m-deal-with-bautista-plus-options-1.652246

Andy

Well since the options are mutual, it's really just a one-year deal.

Low risk but I'm starting to wonder if one year of Bautista in RF is better than, say, a 1st round Comp. pick and 18 million dollars spent elsewhere on the OF and bullpen.

hockeyfan1

Welcome back, Jose!

Blue Jays    @BlueJays
It's official! Welcome back, @JoeyBats19! height=1 height=1 height=1
11:04 AM - 18 Jan 2017

hockeyfan1

The question was right but the year in 'Jeopardy'...

Sandra W‏  @sandywelsman
What is the best jeopardy question ever ....and a Canadian answered it right