Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Auston Matthews

Started by disco, October 12, 2016, 10:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guilt Trip

Since Matthews came into the league in 2016 up to around Jan 20th, he's 2nd in GWG, 5 behind McD in 38 less games and 1 ahead of Drai in 43 less games.

Matthews was 64 5v5 goals ahead of Drai,(43 less games), 33 ahead of McD (38 less games), 41 ahead of Ovi (32 less games).

OldTimeHockey

Matthews certainly isn't McDavid, but it's a lot easier to compare him to McDavid than it is to compare Kessel to Ovechkin.

Kaberle15

I know that part of TO media is already talking about Matthews leaving for nothing instead of resigning.

But think as a player (as dominant as Matthews is), he has already 500+ points in one of the original six franchise in 6 seasons.

He smashed some of the records already, along with Marner. If they manage to have some decent sucess in the post season they will have the opportunity to break almost every record that is possible for them to do it, If Toronto stays competitive, why would you walk away from this opportunity? (from a player competitive point of view)

Go Leafs Go!!!

Zee

Quote from: Kaberle15 on February 07, 2023, 06:15:23 AMI know that part of TO media is already talking about Matthews leaving for nothing instead of resigning.

But think as a player (as dominant as Matthews is), he has already 500+ points in one of the original six franchise in 6 seasons.

He smashed some of the records already, along with Marner. If they manage to have some decent sucess in the post season they will have the opportunity to break almost every record that is possible for them to do it, If Toronto stays competitive, why would you walk away from this opportunity? (from a player competitive point of view)

If he doesn't extend come July 1st you have to trade him.  Can't be left holding the bag like the Islanders were waiting for Tavares to decide.  Get your boatload of picks and prospects and re-tool/rebuild in this scenario.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Zee on February 07, 2023, 02:24:55 PM
Quote from: Kaberle15 on February 07, 2023, 06:15:23 AMI know that part of TO media is already talking about Matthews leaving for nothing instead of resigning.

If he doesn't extend come July 1st you have to trade him.  Can't be left holding the bag like the Islanders were waiting for Tavares to decide.  Get your boatload of picks and prospects and re-tool/rebuild in this scenario.
So same with Willy then?

bustaheims

Quote from: Zee on February 07, 2023, 02:24:55 PMIf he doesn't extend come July 1st you have to trade him.  Can't be left holding the bag like the Islanders were waiting for Tavares to decide.  Get your boatload of picks and prospects and re-tool/rebuild in this scenario.

Disagree. They have 12 months to negotiate. Take all the time they can. If it does become clear he's not staying, you can move him at the deadline or trade his rights. No sense cutting bait just because he doesn't sign quickly.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CarltonTheBear

He'll re-sign or walk. Next to zero chance the Leafs deal him.

Bill_Berg

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on February 07, 2023, 03:39:52 PMHe'll re-sign or walk. Next to zero chance the Leafs deal him.

Yeah, I gotta say their track record supports this. Unless the Leafs do fire Dubas, then who knows?

Nik

Quote from: Zee on February 07, 2023, 02:24:55 PMIf he doesn't extend come July 1st you have to trade him.  Can't be left holding the bag like the Islanders were waiting for Tavares to decide.  Get your boatload of picks and prospects and re-tool/rebuild in this scenario.

Realistically there's not going to be a "boatload" of picks and prospects if Matthews isn't interested in signing an extension. You'll get something for him, maybe a good prospect and a first or something, but certainly not the sort of thing that you "have" to have. You're taking a major step backwards anyway.

If Matthews comes to you and says "I definitely won't be re-signing in Toronto" then you think about trading him. Until then even the chance of signing him still greatly outweighs any realistic return.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

You don't turn your back on a generational player unless and until he walks out the door.  Cause another one of his talents isn't coming back the other way, in what's of my lifetime anyway.

L K

Quote from: Bill_Berg_is_sad on February 07, 2023, 04:30:57 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on February 07, 2023, 03:39:52 PMHe'll re-sign or walk. Next to zero chance the Leafs deal him.

Yeah, I gotta say their track record supports this. Unless the Leafs do fire Dubas, then who knows?

There is just no logical approach to trading a player of Auston Matthews caliber unless he says he's walking AND the team is completely out of playoff contention come the deadline. 

Bill_Berg

Quote from: L K on February 07, 2023, 05:31:16 PM

There is just no logical approach to trading a player of Auston Matthews caliber unless he says he's walking AND the team is completely out of playoff contention come the deadline. 

And Dubas is not the GM. He's let lots of guys walk to get that last playoff year out of them (among other reasons I'm sure). I mean I guess if they are out of the playoffs then maybe Dubas trades him, but shy of that, Dubas will never in a million years trade Matthews.

OldTimeHockey

Quote from: Bill_Berg_is_sad on February 07, 2023, 06:43:03 PM

And Dubas is not the GM. He's let lots of guys walk to get that last playoff year out of them (among other reasons I'm sure). I mean I guess if they are out of the playoffs then maybe Dubas trades him, but shy of that, Dubas will never in a million years trade Matthews.

Teams that are in strong playoff positions(as the Leafs have been) do not trade valuable players on expiring contracts come trade deadline day. That's not a Dubas thing.

Bill_Berg

Quote from: OldTimeHockey on February 08, 2023, 07:52:38 AM

Teams that are in strong playoff positions(as the Leafs have been) do not trade valuable players on expiring contracts come trade deadline day. That's not a Dubas thing.

I'm saying that even if they weren't in a strong playoff position, Dubas wouldn't trade Matthews. That's the Dubas thing. I'm not complaining about it. Just saying that anyone that wants or expects the Leafs to trade Matthews if he hasn't signed long-term shouldn't get their hopes up. At least not as long as Dubas is GM.

Zee

Quote from: Bill_Berg_is_sad on February 08, 2023, 09:35:43 AM
Quote from: OldTimeHockey on February 08, 2023, 07:52:38 AM

I'm saying that even if they weren't in a strong playoff position, Dubas wouldn't trade Matthews. That's the Dubas thing. I'm not complaining about it. Just saying that anyone that wants or expects the Leafs to trade Matthews if he hasn't signed long-term shouldn't get their hopes up. At least not as long as Dubas is GM.

It would be the worst possible outcome if he walks for nothing.  We're talking about a calder winner, 2 time Rocket Richard winner and Hart and Lindsay winner just walking out the door.  I don't agree that they couldn't get a huge package in a trade for him this July.  We've never seen a player of Matthews abilities traded in their prime, he would return multiple first round picks not just one.