SCF: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. San Jose Sharks

Started by CarltonTheBear, May 27, 2016, 07:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Potvin29

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Potvin29 on June 01, 2016, 08:37:48 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on June 01, 2016, 08:31:26 PM
Phil!

This is making me so happy. Like I'm genuinely pumped for Kessel.

Watching the US finish 4th (or worse) at the World Cup is going to be even funner than usual this year.

TBLeafer

hockeyfan1

Pittsburgh 2  San Jose 1  OT   Penguins lead series 2 games to 0.

Conor Sheary the hero this time, as the Pittsburgh Penguins take a commanding series lead in this edition of the Stanley Cup Final.

It certainly was beginning to look like the Sharks were on their way of being shut out.  San Jose, having sported the NHL's best offence all season long and continuing their dominance in these playoffs, suddenly find themselves sputtering against a determined Penguins squad that is outsmarting them at every turn.

Having lost Game 1, and not wanting to in a series deficit, the Sharks tied it up on defenceman Justin Brain's  point shot.  Overtime.  Enter Crosby...

...Penguins Captain Sidney Crosby, with a 70% faceoff-winning rating on the night, won the draw in the Sharks zone and a second later, the point shot was directed by Sheary past Sharks netminder Martin Jones into the net.

Another good effort by Pittsburgh's top lines, particularly for Phil Kessel who has been on a tear in these playoffs,  and who leads the team with 19 points in the post-season.

The Sharks will need to figure out how to deal with Pittsburgh's speed and pressure, if they have any hopes of solving the Pittsburgh riddle.

Game 3 goes Saturday in San Jose.

Source:   Sportsnet,  CBC Sports

hockeyfan1

Zee

Looks like hotdog man is gonna win the Cup

Tigger

"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Nik

I realize it's a tough competition but the NHL's stupidest rule is still "High sticking is 2 minutes, but it's twice as bad if there's a tiny cut". Plays a huge role here again.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Nik the Trik on June 04, 2016, 09:47:57 PM

I realize it's a tough competition but the NHL's stupidest rule is still "High sticking is 2 minutes, but it's twice as bad if there's a tiny cut". Plays a huge role here again.

I've been saying this for years, but it feels like the hockey community at large has just accepted it. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Tigger

"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

TBLeafer

Great to see the Sharks persevere last night and decide to make a series out of it.

[tweet]739300514995699712[/tweet]

hockeyfan1

San Jose 3   Pittsburgh  2    OT    Penguins lead series 2 games to 1.

Finnish rookie Joonas Donskoi the hero for San Jose, with a nice wraparound coming out from behind the net, and beating Pittsburgh goaltender Matthew Murray on the stick side.

Thanks to Joel Ward's shot that tied the game in the third period.  Some would say that Pittsburgh's goaltender Murray should have stopped that one bad bounces and all.  Murray faced only 23 shots but was particularly adept in the second period following a San Jose offensive flurry. 

His opponent Martin Jones of the Sharks had to be sharp in facing 40 shots from a hungry Pittsburgh offence, in the first and in the OT period in attempting to keep his team in the game.

The Sharks made the most of their chances and clicked at the right time.
It was the first-ever Stanley Cup Final game played in San Jose, and the fans let it be known as the crowd was behind their team every step of the way.  Afterall, it was an important game that the Sharks had to win at the risk of falling further behind in the series.  Well done, San Jose.

Game 4 goes Monday in San Jose.

Source:   Yahoo! Sports

Al14

Quote from: hockeyfan1 on June 05, 2016, 03:15:23 PM
San Jose 3   Pittsburgh  2    OT    Penguins lead series 2 games to 1.

Finnish rookie Joonas Donskoi the hero for San Jose, with a nice wraparound coming out from behind the net, and beating Pittsburgh goaltender Matthew Murray on the stick side.

Thanks to Joel Ward's shot that tied the game in the third period.  Some would say that Pittsburgh's goaltender Murray should have stopped that one bad bounces and all.  Murray faced only 23 shots but was particularly adept in the second period following a San Jose offensive flurry. 

His opponent Martin Jones of the Sharks had to be sharp in facing 40 shots from a hungry Pittsburgh offence, in the first and in the OT period in attempting to keep his team in the game.

The Sharks made the most of their chances and clicked at the right time.
It was the first-ever Stanley Cup Final game played in San Jose, and the fans let it be known as the crowd was behind their team every step of the way.  Afterall, it was an important game that the Sharks had to win at the risk of falling further behind in the series.  Well done, San Jose.

Game 4 goes Monday in San Jose.

Source:   Yahoo! Sports

Let's go San Jose!  Would rather get the 29th overall pick than the 30th! 

It would be nice to see Phil just miss winning the Stanley Cup!

CarltonTheBear

Future Conn Smythe winner with a 2-point night so far. Pens up 2-0.

LuncheonMeat

Healy... can someone please explain the concept of puck possession to him?

Edit: I suppose I should correct my grammar when taking someone to task.  8)
"How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they're coming home. Mark my words, they'll be coming."
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares