Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Jimmy Vesey

Started by azzurri63, March 12, 2016, 06:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

herman

Is it the closest to Buffalo without being Buffalo?

No.92

Well looks like the Rangers won the Vesey sweepstakes.  Sucks. 

0 for 2 for big name free agents this off season.

RedLeaf

Quote from: No.92 on August 19, 2016, 06:58:58 PM

Hey. They won the biggest sweepstakes of the off-season. The draft lottery, and Auston Matthews. I think it's safe to say that Lady Luck hasn't exactly overlooked the Leafs of late. The way the youth movement is shaping up, I'm pretty sure I'd take Matthews over Stamkos and Vesey combined.
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

No.92

Quote from: RedLeaf on August 19, 2016, 07:07:08 PM
Quote from: No.92 on August 19, 2016, 06:58:58 PM

Hey. They won the biggest sweepstakes of the off-season. The draft lottery, and Auston Matthews. I think it's safe to say that Lady Luck hasn't exactly overlooked the Leafs of late. The way the youth movement is shaping up, I'm pretty sure I'd take Matthews over Stamkos and Vesey combined.

Agreed.  Not complaining so much but would have loved to have gotten Vesey since it was cheap and costs no assets.

Heroic Shrimp

Food for thought:

[tweet]765610841370746881[/tweet]
[tweet]765611460856844293[/tweet]
[tweet]765612509655076864[/tweet]
[tweet]765612788819566593[/tweet]
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Nik

I said all along that Vesey was being hyped too much. Having great numbers in the NCAA at 22 isn't all that remarkable. If you compare his numbers to someone like St. Louis you'll see a pretty big gap.

It was the equivalent of adding a bonus mid-2nd round pick or thereabouts. It would have been nice to have him but it was never about "needing" him.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Nik

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on August 19, 2016, 06:25:41 PM
Weird team to pick. Not exactly a Cup contender. No real great prospects. There's a spot open in their top-6 probably but it's not like Derek Stepan or Mika Zibanejad are big-time sells as centremen. But I guess it's the closest to home without being in Boston.

Honestly, you can never discount just the appeal of living and playing in New York.

QuoteThere was even a rumor that actor Liam Neeson shot a video, using a line from his movie "Taken" to get Vesey to come to New York. Vesey would not confirm or deny the Neeson video in a conference call to talk about his decision to go with the Rangers, but ultimately he enjoyed seeing some of the city's biggest names push for him.

"They were pretty funny and pretty cool that those celebrities were reaching out to me," Vesey said. "I don't think it had a factor in the decision, so to speak, but one of the things I definitely liked about New York was the top-notch lifestyle that the city offers."

You don't say no to Liam Neesons.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-jimmy-vesey-took-the-new-york-rangers-free-agent-pitch-032611915.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Peter D.

New York the city is great, New York the team is so unsexy.  They're at the point now there isn't enough there to make a Cup run and they're not bad enough to slip from being a middling team.

Ballardisdead

Glad we dodged that bullet.  Vesey is a Harvard man.  Anybody here ever meet a Harvard man they liked?  Me neither.

Nik

Quote from: Peter D. on August 20, 2016, 12:35:28 AM
New York the city is great, New York the team is so unsexy.  They're at the point now there isn't enough there to make a Cup run and they're not bad enough to slip from being a middling team.

Outside of Chicago(or maybe the Islanders) none of the teams he was interested in  look poised to be serious contenders any time soon. With the Rangers he'll get an immediate top 6 opportunity on a competitive team and the benefits of the City.

The Leafs(and Sabres) might have better long term prospects but that's largely in part due to the fact that they have a lot of good young forwards that would make Vesey's spot of the team an unsure thing. If he'd signed here or in Buffalo he's in a more precarious spot on the depth chart and probably in for more losing than winning until his ELC expires.
- Vince Lombardi

Nik

Quote from: Ballardisdead on August 20, 2016, 02:05:07 AM
Glad we dodged that bullet.  Vesey is a Harvard man.  Anybody here ever meet a Harvard man they liked?  Me neither.

I liked Dominic Moore.
- Vince Lombardi

bustaheims

While I can't say I've ever met Conan O'Brien or Barack Obama, I feel pretty confident in saying I'd enjoy their company.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

L K

This isn't the time during the development of the team or the player to hang your hat on, but I'm looking forward to that culture change where players WANT to come to Toronto.   

Highlander

Quote from: Nik the Trik on August 20, 2016, 08:37:03 AM

I liked Dominic Moore.
Nik I once again agree with you, I not only liked him but loved him, sorry about his personal loss. Regarding Vesey, F---k him, he is not worth of the blue and white. Just kidding of course
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Joe

Why the hate for this guy? He had the opportunity to chose who he wanted to play for and he exercised it... He also said no to a bunch of other teams.