Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Line-up changes

Started by slapshot, October 09, 2011, 06:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erndog

Quote from: Corn Flake on April 02, 2012, 08:52:59 AM
Quote from: L K on April 02, 2012, 08:42:37 AM
Quote from: Sarge on April 02, 2012, 08:36:57 AM
Grabovski out, Colborne in for tomorrow's game.

A good reward for his 18 points in his last 46 games

If it were only about points. He played a very solid defensive game yesterday for the Marlies and it appears to be the role he has been doing for a while now.  He's more of a checking centre at the moment. Could be why he's getting the call.

Fair, but thats still pretty abysmal.  I've said it before, I don't think Colborne will ever be an NHL regular.  Maybe for a year or two (like a Phillipe Dupuis had... of a Christian Hanson, etc) but long term dude is most definitely a cup of coffee player.

Deebo

Quote from: bustaheims on April 02, 2012, 09:44:19 AM

At this point, I'm not sure being taken from the Marlies to play with the Leafs is really a reward.

I'd call it a reward:

AHL Salary: 65,000
NHL Salary: 875,000

Potvin29

I'm still waiting to see someone in the media or somewhere to comment on his play aside from stats.  The stats don't look good, but I want to actually read about his play. 

bustaheims

Quote from: Deebo on April 02, 2012, 10:18:59 AM
I'd call it a reward:

I think you missed the humour.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Erndog

Quote from: Potvin29 on April 02, 2012, 10:21:04 AM
I'm still waiting to see someone in the media or somewhere to comment on his play aside from stats.  The stats don't look good, but I want to actually read about his play.

(not taking a shot at you or Colborne here really)... but I'm trying to think logically, and I don't know of any top 2 center who has ever produced at a 0.39 PPG pace (while getting PP time) that has "been playing well."

Deebo

Quote from: bustaheims on April 02, 2012, 10:21:46 AM
Quote from: Deebo on April 02, 2012, 10:18:59 AM
I'd call it a reward:

I think you missed the humour.

No, I got it, the leafs suck, good one.

bustaheims

Quote from: Deebo on April 02, 2012, 10:27:36 AM

Well, you know, the Marlies are about to win their division, and, for some people, being a part of something successful is more rewarding than earning a few extra bucks.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Potvin29

Was the "been playing well" a quote of someone?  :o

But wasn't really trying to defend him anyways, just genuinely want to read some comment on his play from someone who has watched him.

Corn Flake

Quote from: Erndog on April 02, 2012, 10:17:11 AM
Fair, but thats still pretty abysmal.  I've said it before, I don't think Colborne will ever be an NHL regular.  Maybe for a year or two (like a Phillipe Dupuis had... of a Christian Hanson, etc) but long term dude is most definitely a cup of coffee player.

There is a lot more going on there than looking at a point total would suggest.  His all round game is very solid, he's bagging goals in the shootout quite a bit, and was completely robbed yesterday on a sure goal as well.  Snake bit is the trend for sure.

I don't see how you can project a player like that at this point.  Cup of coffee player?  There's no way to tell that right now, and using comparisons of one failed prospect isn't selling it. A lot would have to go wrong for him to be a cup of coffee NHL player.

Bullfrog

Quote from: bustaheims on April 02, 2012, 10:28:45 AM

Well, you know, the Marlies are about to win their division, and, for some people, being a part of something successful is more rewarding than earning a few extra bucks.

I laughed.

Deebo

Quote from: bustaheims on April 02, 2012, 10:28:45 AM

He'll be back with the marlies before their regular season is over, and cap geek has him at $5946 a day, and 5 days remaining...so we're talking about 30,000 or nearly half his AHL salary if he stays up for the balance of the season.

For someone who might never earn a full time NHL job, that's quite a bit more significant than a few bucks.

A Weekend at Bernier's

If it were only about points. He played a very solid defensive game yesterday for the Marlies and it appears to be the role he has been doing for a while now.  He's more of a checking centre at the moment. Could be why he's getting the call.

Not typical of your posts, Erndog, which I find to be very well balanced.  Maybe the weight of this season's collapse is heavy on your shoulders.  At any rate, way too early to make this call.  If he turns into a Jordan Stall - light, someone who never racks up huge stats but plays a complete, dominating game, wouldn't you be pleased?

Tigger

long term dude is most definitely a cup of coffee player.

I'm curious, how are you drawing this conclusion?
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Erndog

Quote from: Champ Kind on April 02, 2012, 01:07:45 PM

Not typical of your posts, Erndog, which I find to be very well balanced.  Maybe the weight of this season's collapse is heavy on your shoulders.  At any rate, way too early to make this call.  If he turns into a Jordan Stall - light, someone who never racks up huge stats but plays a complete, dominating game, wouldn't you be pleased?

Sure, I would be.  Maybe that's his ceiling, who knows.

But I'm less and less enthused by him each and every time I watch him, hear about him, follow his progress, etc.

pnjunction

Now I don't follow the AHL or player development that much but is it typical to have guys like Crabb and Zigomanis outplaying young talent that is supposed to hold such promise?  I know younger guys and upside and all that but still if the young guys are so good I would think it shouldn't take them 2+ years to eclipse guys that aren't even considered NHL calibre (at least as far as top 6).

I think we set ourselves up for big 'busts' with the massive hype surrounding most of these players.  Burke certainly doesn't help with his post-trade and post-draft blustering, although I wonder if some of his comments on Kadri is an attempt to calm the hype and reset expectations.