Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Hockey Night in Canada

Started by Potvin29, June 17, 2014, 01:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skrackle

Pretty much any games I get a chance to watch, I watch online. I'm currently trying to watch the Canucks/Oilers game on CBC and I'm getting all the background music with none of the content.

I see George S. leaning forward in that way he has of showing that he's engaged in the subject. Too bad I can't hear what he's saying. Makes me think there's something wrong with my computer. But no, here come the ads with full audio and video.

The CBC live stream has been since it began, the worst way to experience a hockey game that I've encountered in the digital age. And just when you think it couldn't get any worse...

But, I guess it's a low priority for them.

Peter D.

I didn't find the game coverage to be much different than what we've seen from HNiC in the past. Mind you, I didn't see the opening intro nor much of the intermissions.

One change seems to be that Coach's Corner has been cut down by a couple minutes.

They also were running the intermissions on a loop amongst the different channels.

Kessel Run

Just watched Coach's Corner from last night. Don is just embarrassing himself.

WhatIfGodWasALeaf

This Hometown Hockey show has been cool.so far.

Leafs71

Strombo, Healy and Cox tonight. Shudder.

As much as I've enjoyed his work, I'd rather Mclean just showed some pride and quit.

Madferret

Meh all I really care about at the end of the day is being able to watch the Sens on Saturday nights ever Saturday night - Al Jazeera could broadcast it for all I care (you would probably still hear me screaming about a Leaf bias tho).
IMO the death of HNIC on CBC was when they lost the HNIC theme by trying to lowball Delores Claman (or her estate? can't remember) over the licensing fee. It would still be a few years after that yet before they would lose the whole shebang completely (by doing the exact same thing with the NHL) but that was a pretty good indicator of the CBC's attitude and dinosaur mindset. That song was more special to me than any other part of the HNIC production. I love that TSN scooped it and still love hearing it but it's not the same thing and never will be.

I almost fell over when Millen & Cole's voice starting coming over the airwaves before the Sens / Preds game on Saturday. As much as things change they stay the exact same sometimes. G*^%}##%+*^ damnit I hate those two as Sens commentators....don't even get me started!!

skrackle

So far, I'm not liking the Rogers era. I'll give it time because what choice do I have?

I find the quality of play by play has slipped. There are some strange things happening with camera angles during the games. I'd rather see Ron McLean hosting HNIC.

Are Rogers thinking George S. has some sort of hipster cred that's going to bring in the new generation of viewers? I may be wrong, but I'd guess they are mistaken in that notion, if that's what they do believe. So far, the new look is several steps down from what CBC were presenting.

Nik

Quote from: corsi fenwick on December 27, 2014, 07:55:23 PM
Are Rogers thinking George S. has some sort of hipster cred that's going to bring in the new generation of viewers? I may be wrong, but I'd guess they are mistaken in that notion, if that's what they do believe.

I've said in the past that I think the choice of Strombo as host is less about any particular demographic(young/hip) and more about going after casual fans as well as the die-hards.

But even if you're right then what else would you suggest? Given the amount of money that Rogers spent on the package it makes a ton of sense that they would want to grow their viewership beyond the die-hard hockey fans. Just running out the same thing year after year probably won't do it.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

skrackle

Quote from: Nik the Trik on December 28, 2014, 07:04:32 PM
Quote from: corsi fenwick on December 27, 2014, 07:55:23 PM
Are Rogers thinking George S. has some sort of hipster cred that's going to bring in the new generation of viewers? I may be wrong, but I'd guess they are mistaken in that notion, if that's what they do believe.

I've said in the past that I think the choice of Strombo as host is less about any particular demographic(young/hip) and more about going after casual fans as well as the die-hards.

But even if you're right then what else would you suggest? Given the amount of money that Rogers spent on the package it makes a ton of sense that they would want to grow their viewership beyond the die-hard hockey fans. Just running out the same thing year after year probably won't do it.

I'm just not impressed, so far. I think George S. is out of his element and I'd rather see Ron McLean back as host. Other than that, I don't have any suggestions for what else Rogers might do with HNIC.

I am glad that it still exists, and I am willing to give it time to see if they improve the presentation and/or I adjust to the changes. I realize they spent a fortune to acquire the rights and can do whatever they want.

Peter D.

I like Strombo, and I watch him and think he is really, really, really good at his job. He has that ability to speak so freely and flawlessly that is only matched by Ron MacLean.

That being said, I still have to get used to him as the host. He seems like a misfit for the group.

Chev-boyar-sky

Quote from: Peter D. on January 08, 2015, 12:32:18 AM
I like Strombo, and I watch him and think he is really, really, really good at his job. He has that ability to speak so freely and flawlessly that is only matched by Ron MacLean.

That being said, I still have to get used to him as the host. He seems like a misfit for the group.

This was very funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Rebel_1812

The streams on cbc no longer work.  They say not available in my region.  What a joke we pay so much in taxes for cbc and they can't even stream the games in ontario.

Nik

Quote from: Rebel_1812 on January 08, 2015, 10:44:10 PM
The streams on cbc no longer work.  They say not available in my region.  What a joke we pay so much in taxes for cbc and they can't even stream the games in ontario.

You might have missed this but the CBC no longer actually holds any rights. Any restrictions on their streams, regional or otherwise, is almost certainly a part of their deal with Rogers.

Also, with an annual budget of around a billion dollars that means every Canadian pays, roughly, about 28 dollars per year for the CBC so it's really not the anvil you make it sound like.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Heroic Shrimp

Quote from: Rebel_1812 on January 08, 2015, 10:44:10 PM

Mark Messier would like to have a conversation with you.
Supersize my Freedom Fries

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Heroic Shrimp on January 09, 2015, 08:24:30 AM
Mark Messier would like to have a conversation with you.

Mark Messier doesn't ask for permission. He just strolls into your house and starts doing things.