They say Karma is a bitch. Last night the Toronto Maple Leafs played pretty sound hockey, but ended up on the wrong side of the scoreboard in a 3-1 loss.
The most interesting stat was the shots. The Leafs actually WON that category, not that it’s worth much. But they did out-shoot the Kings 39-23. That’s right, the Leafs only had 23 shots against.
The major difference was not that Jonathan Bernier was weak in this game, but rather his counterpart was stellar. The kid’s name is Martin Jones. He’s only been in the NHL long enough to have a cup of coffee, but he’s won his fourth start in a row and was coming off back-to-back shutouts against the New York Islanders and Montreal Canadiens. And he certainly earned his first star award.
The Leafs travel to St Louis tonight for an 8pm tilt on Leafs-TV.
More Than Just a Scorer…
Seems whenever you think of Phil Kessel, you think goals. The guy has a rocket of a shot with accurate, quick release.
But he’s so much more. Look back to his pass last night that earned him an assist. He by all rights could have shot. He was in the slot with room to let it go, but instead he made a pass to, who buried it easily from the side of the net.
And that’s not a one-time event. He’s 13th in the NHL for points, but only 16 of the 30 points are goals. Add that to a strong effort in back-checking and you’ve got a very well rounded player.
Daily Leafs Links…
- Solid effort yields no points for Leafs (TMLfans)
- Carter, Jones lead Kings to win against Leafs (NHL.com)
- Leafs get crowned (MapleLeafs.com)
- Back in action tonight (MapleLeafs.com)
- Kings Crown Leafs (Toronto Sun)
- Leafs get Lupul back (Toronto Sun)
- Gameday: Leafs at Blues (Toronto Sun)
- Plenty to build on in Leafs loss (Toronto Sun)
- Leafs young defence duo does well vs Kings (Toronto Sun)
- Leafs refuse to approve Rogers NHL deal (Toronto Star)
- Leafs raise game; still lose (Toronto Star)
- Leafs at Blues: Preview (Toronto Star)
- From doghouse to penthouse – Gardiner & Rielly shine (Toronto Star)
- Carlyle finally unleashes youngsters (Globe & Mail)
- Tables turn on Leafs as Jones shines (Globe & Mail)
- Leafs deliver shots, effort but fall to Kings (National Post)
- HBO’s 24/7 with the leafs will be censored by Rogers (National Post)
- Script flips as Leafs play well, lose (TSN)
- Leafs head to St Louis without Phaneuf (TSN)
- Leafs catch Kings off-guard but can’t solve Jones (Sportsnet)
- Leafs play likely their best game (NBC Sports)
- Deathcember back-to-back (Pension Plan Puppets)
- Leafs-Blues morning notes (PPP)
- Postgame: Martin Jones and Me (LeafsNation.com)
- So that’s what it feels like (Bergerbytes)
- Taking a good loss into St Louis (Maple Leafs Hotstove)
- The best place to discuss Leafs hockey (TMLfans.ca)