STATS THAT MAKE YOU GO HMMMMMM…….
- When Tyson Barrie scored in overtime to give Colorado the 1-0 victory over Nashville on Saturday, it was only the third goal by an Avalanche defenceman this season. Barrie now has two of the three and both came against the Predators.
- If the Flyers miss the playoffs, it will mark the first time since 1991 that all of the city of Philadelphia sports teams missed the post-season at the same time.
- Anaheim and Los Angeles should be a better rivalry than it is but the problem is that in the Ducks 20 years in the league, they and the Kings have never played against each other in a playoff series and amazingly made the playoffs in the same year just one time and that was in the 2010-11 campaign.
- In his career Anze Kopitar has picked up 54 power play goals. The strange thing is that while he leads the Kings in points, he hasn’t scored a power play goal in 64 games including the 20 playoff games he had on their Cup run last spring.
- Jarome Iginla will hit a small milestone soon in a Pittsburgh uniform. He starts the week with 3,995 career shots on goal. He would be just the third active player to reach 4,000 joining Jaromir Jagr (4,851) and Teemu Selanne. (4,409) The all-time leader in shots is Raymond Bourque who had 6,206. That’s 840 more shots than the second player all-time, Marcel Dionne has. (5,366)
- Having a fight in a game has made little difference in Toronto’s won-loss record as they are 13-8-2 when they have a fight or more and are 7-4-2 when they don’t drop the gloves.
- Sheldon Souray has the third best plus/minus in the NHL at + 24. That is Souray’s best mark since he was a + 18 back with New Jersey in the 1997-98 season.
- Five teams have yet to record a shutout in 2013 and four of the five are currently out of the playoffs (Tampa, Florida, Buffalo & Calgary) while the other is surprisingly the Rangers who are hanging onto eight place in the East by a thread.
- You can take Olli Jokinen out of Florida, but you can’t take the Panther’s DNA out of Olli. The reason for that is Jokinen has a mark of –17 and that is tied for worst in the NHL with a couple of Panthers, Brian Campbell and Eric Gudbranson.
- Heading into the trade deadline, there hasn’t been a single goalie play with two different teams this season.
- Who would have thought on April 1st that the New York Islanders would still be in post-season contention while the New York Yankees and the New York Mets would not be.
Stan Nieradka is a sports fan and statistician for Hockey Night In Canada, and contributor of Stats Plus for TMLfans.ca