The Toronto media has two juicy stories to focus on this morning: the 8-5 drubbing that the Leafs suffered last night at the hands of the Bruins, and the late Thursday news that former Leafs captain Mats Sundin has signed with the Canucks.
It was a wild affair last night in Beantown. All four goalies got into the game (Vesa even got in twice!), 22 different players recorded at least a point, and if you’re a fan of tight-checking, defensive games, you probably didn’t enjoy this one.
Yes, Mats has finally decided to play this season, and the lucky recipient of his talent is the Vancouver Canucks. Read all you want (and probably more than you want) in the links below.
Several (current) Leafs managed to garner mention in the press: The Sun has a piece on Mike Van Ryn (who was injured again in last night’s game with another concussion) and Marlie call-up Jeremy Williams, while the NHL Northeast Notebook has a prominent feature on Ian White’s versatility.
In spite of all the hoopla about Mats, the press also found space to report that the players for the Top Prospects game have been decided (Tavares and Ellis to headline) and devoted a few inches of space to Canada’s upcoming WJC team.
We close out with Burke being a little upset with the Canucks organization, and no, it has nothing to do with Mats. Check it out!
Without further ado, here are today’s top stories:
Last Night’s Game
- Leafs take a beating Globe & Mail
- Leaf goalies get workout as defence rests Toronto Star
- Beantown beating Toronto Sun
- Shooting gallery TSN
- Maple Leafs outgunned by Bruins National Post
- Leads lose wild one to Bruins MapleLeafs.com
- Official Score Sheet NHL.com
- Official Super Stats NHL.com
- Game in 6 (video recap) MapleLeafs.com
Leafs NHL News
- Van Ryn making a difference Toronto Sun
- Wilson’s eyes on Williams Toronto Sun
- White does it all NHL.com
ExLeafs Leafs Media News
- Sundin is a Canuck Globe & Mail
- Burke closed door on Sundin return Globe & Mail
- Canucks simply best overall fit for Sundin Toronto Star
- Another Leafs captain cast adrift Toronto Star
- Canucks get their man Toronto Sun
- Fond farewell from Leafs Toronto Sun
- Canucks win Sundin sweepstakes National Post
- Champagne corks popping at CBC FAN590
NHL News & Rumours
- Chicago is Kane’s kind of town Globe & Mail
- Burke irked at Canucks (and not becaue of Mats) and other NHL news Toronto Sun
- Tavares headlines Top Prospects game Toronto Sun
- Tavares, Ellis top prospects game roster Toronto Sun
- Tavares takes on greater role with Team Canada National Post
- Spector’s Hockey Rumours Spector’s Hockey
- Truth & Rumours SI.com