The Maple Leafs scored a pair of third period goals to salvage a point in the standings, but wound up losing 5-4 in overtime to New Jersey on Friday night. Travis Zajac scored the game winner on the power-play after Luke Schenn was forced into taking a penalty following a turnover.
Leafs defenceman Carl Gunnarsson scored his first career NHL goal.
It’s CBC’s annual Hockey Day in Canada and the Leafs host the Vancouver Canucks at 7pm ET. Ottawa and Montreal faceoff at 2pm while Edmonton and Calgary play at 10pm ET.
In AHL action the Toronto Marlies lost 6-3 to Lake Erie on Friday. The team is home to the Rochester Americans at 4pm today.
Here are the headlines of stories relating to the Leafs and the Marlies in the news this morning:
- Leafs going out in style Toronto Sun
- Leafs Replay Toronto Sun
- Canuck deflects MacLean’s criticism into the past Toronto Sun
- Sedins: Burke wanted us? Toronto Sun
- Overtime one Devil of a time for Leafs Toronto Star
- Leafs should know: Trade requests often don’t work Toronto Star
- Devils Z-line burns Leafs in OT The Globe And Mail
- Leafs drop fifth in a row in loss to Devils National Post
- Monsters drown Marlies TorontoMarlies.com
Follow TMLfans.ca on Twitter: