Last night we lost our little fighter Hayden. It breaks my heart to know I’ll never be able to see you again. How you fought your battles always inspired me, you were my hero. I know you’ll be watching me from up above. I’ll miss you. pic.twitter.com/Tk7mxZIXbS
— Mitchell Marner (@Marner93) October 21, 2019
Gustav Nyquist scored the game-winner on a penalty shot to lift the Columbus Blue Jackets to a 4-3 overtime win against the Leafs on Monday night.
- Frederik Andersen took the loss in goal, making 27 saves, but was terrific during the second half of the game to give his team the opportunity for a win that never materialized.
- Kasperi Kapanen scored on a shorthanded goal in the first period after a 2-on-1 setup from Mitch Marner.
- Auston Matthews collected his eighth goal of the year, and William Nylander scored his third of the season.
- Matthews and Marner over-extended a shift in 3-on-3 overtime, forcing Marner into taking the hooking infraction on which Nyquist’s penalty shot was called.
- Matthews had soft coverage on Pierre-Luc Dubois’s goal to put the Jackets up 2-0.
- Martin Marincin continued his struggles in the defensive zone.
- Once again the Leafs gave up the early goal. For the sixth time this season Toronto surrendered a goal within the first five minutes of the game. Riley Nash was the beneficiary after a brutal turnover by Marner.
In 2019, Rob co-wrote with Evan Gubernick “Hockey Addict’s Guide: Toronto”, now available at Chapters and Indigo stores everywhere.