The Leafs destroyed the Edmonton Oilers 6-1 on Wednesday to extend their winning streak to three games. In the highly-touted matchup of Auston Matthews versus Connor McDavid, each player finished with one assist.
- Andreas Johnsson scored his 18th and 19th goals of the season, continuing a phenomenal turnaround from his sluggish start to this season.
- With the Leafs trailing 1-0 in the first period, Patrick Marleau pounced on a rebound to register his 14th goal of the year. It was the 549th goal of Marleau’s career, putting him into a tie with Ron Francis for 28th place on the NHL’s all-time list, one ahead of Michel Goulet
- Mitch Marner started a four-goal second period outburst for the Leafs with a deflection of a Zach Hyman shot, his 22nd goal of the year.
- William Nylander found an opening over the shoulder of goaltender Mikko Koskinen, collecting his fifth goal of the season.
- John Tavares found the net on a 5-on-3 power play to register his 36th goal of the season.
- Frederik Andersen didn’t have to be overly busy, but during a flurry in the second period, he made consecutive saves on Oscar Klefbom, much to the appreciation of the fans at Scotiabank Arena.
Worth recalling that Andreas Johnsson was a healthy scratch four times in October and had only two goals and three points in his first 18 games.
Johnsson has 17 goals and 33 points in 38 games since.
— Jonas Siegel (@jonassiegel) February 28, 2019
- It was yet another slow start for the Leafs, who gave up 13 of the first 15 shots of the game.
- Ron Hainsey was completely turned inside-out by Leon Draisaitl, who scored a highlight reel power play goal to open the scoring.
- Kasperi Kapanen left the game briefly in the second period after an awkward slide into the boards.
- The Leafs lost Travis Dermott in the third period after being checked by Brad Malone. Coach Mike Babcock stated that Dermott hurt his shoulder, and is week-to-week.
Kapanen's skate hits Klefbom's and results in him crashing into the boards. Kap is slow to get up. pic.twitter.com/3ymL3Lrp04
— Flintor (@TheFlintor) February 28, 2019
This is disastrous if it is a serious injury to Travis Dermott. He gets hit from behind from Brad Malone and is in great pain heading to the dressing room. #Leafs
— Michael Augello (@MikeInBuffalo) February 28, 2019
In 2019, Rob co-wrote with Evan Gubernick “The Hockey Addict’s Guide To Toronto”, now available at Chapters and Indigo stores everywhere.