Game Day at Columbus…
The Leafs visit the Blue Jackets this evening for the second match between the two clubs in one week. Gametime is 7pm on TSN4 and TSN 1050 radio.
Toronto beat Columbus in Toronto Monday evening 4 – 2.
A few notes from the Leafs game day release:
- Toronto is tied for fourth in the NHL in goals-for per game (3.45).
- The Leafs are fourth in the NHL in goals-against per game (2.64).
- Toronto is tied for third in the NHL in 5-on-5 goals for (50) and eighth in goals-against at 5-on-5 (38). The Leafs are second in the NHL with a goals for/against ratio at 5-on-5 of 1.32.
- Toronto is tied for the second-most second period goals scored (31) in the NHL.
- Toronto is third in the NHL with 201 takeaways through 22 games.
- The Leafs are second in the NHL in even-strength faceoff wins (602).
- The Leafs have taken their shots from an average distance of 34.2 feet from goal, which is the third-closest average shot distance in the NHL.
- The Leafs are averaging 2.67 minor penalties per 60 minutes of game time, which is the lowest average in the NHL.
The Canes Victory Celebration…
Have you heard Brian Burke referring the Hurricanes post-game celebratory antics as “pee wee garbage”. Here’s Steve Dangle’s look:
— Steve Dangle Glynn (@Steve_Dangle) November 23, 2018
A Hero For Marner…
Mike Zeisberger has a touching story about Mitch Marner and his friend and hero 6-year-old Hayden Foulon. Little Hayden loves Marner, and he loves the kid right back.
Hayden has battled acute lymphoblastic leukemia for almost five years. She’s quite the fighter. Here’s the full story on NHL.com:
Nylander Close to Signing???
There’s been plenty of speculation and even a little innuendo from the Leafs coach that William Nylander might be close to signing. It makes sense. The Leafs giving Nylander a special Black Friday discount?
High Praise For Tavares…
Torts thinks he’s the real deal:
John Tortorella says John Tavares reminds him of Sidney Crosby: "He's the complete deal."
— Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) November 23, 2018
John Tortorella with glowing praise of John Tavares this morning. Says Tavares reminds him of Sidney Crosby in how strong he is on the puck. “I’ve always admired how he’s handled himself — just goes about his business.”
— Jonas Siegel (@jonassiegel) November 23, 2018
Tavares On This Date…
From Rob Del Mundo, my partner at TMLfans.ca: “Nov 23, 2009. John Tavares makes his first career NHL visit to Toronto as a member of NYI; held pointless in a 4-3 Islanders win.”
A Sad Passing…
Pat Quinn, on this date in 2014:
On this date in 2014, former #NHL coach/GM Pat Quinn died.
— Jen (@NHLhistorygirl) November 23, 2018
Couch’s Corner is a daily look at the latest Maple Leafs news and info, penned by Rick Couchman. Rick worked for years as a member of the Leafs media by writing, reporting and interviewing for Stan Fischler and The Fischler Report. He was also a morning show on-air regular with 570News radio for numerous years, as the Leafs contributor. He continues to run the oldest Leafs community on the internet.
Email Subscription: https://www.tmlfans.ca/daily-maple-leafs-newsletter/