Jason Blake had three goals and two assists to lead the Leafs to a 6-4 victory over the Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday night. The five-point night from Blake represents a career high for the Leafs winner as Toronto defeated their former coach Paul Maurice who was behind the Hurricanes’ bench. Jiri Tlusty also had a career-best three assist outing.
The Leafs hope their winning ways can continue in Atlanta this evening (7:30pm, SportsNet, AM 640).
Around the NHL, the Habs were winners over the Predators while Canucks’ star goalie Roberto Luongo looked rather unimpressive in his return to action in a 4-1 defeat to the Coyotes.
OHL star John Tavares may be ready to return to action for the London Knights this evening after suffering a shoulder injury in the CHL Prospects game on Wednesday.
Here are the headlines of stories relating to the Leafs and the Marlies in the news this morning:
- Leafs shake ‘n Blake Toronto Sun
- Blake breaks out as Leafs snap slide Toronto Star
- Blake’s five-point night buries Hurricanes National Post
- Blake’s career night propels Leafs The Globe And Mail
- Offside Friday – Leafs are time well wasted Toronto Sun
- Sparkplug Stralman Toronto Sun
- His true colours? Toronto Sun
- Bemused Maurice says anti-Leaf cracks were all in good fun Toronto Star
- Antropov becomes Leafs’ de facto leader National Post
NHL and Hockey News
- Tavares could play tonight Toronto Sun
- It’s time to make hockey a better sport by having fighting go the way of the dodo Toronto Sun
- Crosby sits out practice Toronto Sun
- Hartford wants the NHL back Toronto Star
- Lecavalier gets his bonus amid trade talk Toronto Star
- Kostitsyn the catalyst as Canadiens beat Predators Montreal Gazette
- Luongo looks rusty in disappointing return National Post
- Windsor Star National Post
- Flames break Sharks’ spell AP
- Senators send Gerber to AHL for conditioning CP
- Gretzky confirms Coyotes in trouble The Globe And Mail