Saturday news: Hagman in, Van Ryn out
The Leafs will have Niklas Hagman and Jonas Frogren in the lineup tonight when they take on the Pittsburgh Penguins at Mellon Arena (7pm, CBC, AM 640). Meanwhile, hard-luck defenceman Mike Van Ryn – who suffered his second concussion of the season on Thursday in Boston, will be out for the remainder of the Leafs’ road trip.
There is still plenty of reaction in Toronto and Vancouver, just two days after Mats Sundin’s announcement of his signing with the Canucks.
In last night’s World Junior pre-tournament game, Canada outlasted Sweden 4-2 in a matchup that featured the top two draft-eligible prospects for 2009: John Tavares and Victor Hedman.
In AHL action, the Marlies dropped a 4-3 shootout decision to Providence.
Here are the headlines of stories relating to the Leafs and the Marlies in the news this morning:
- Leafs win one, lose one in injury game Toronto Sun
- Barking at the gloom Toronto Sun
- Van Ryn shows his colours Toronto Sun
- The dynamic duo Toronto Sun
- Cujo stays out of doghouse Toronto Star
- Leafs try to pick up the pieces The Globe And Mail
- Fists flying The Globe And Mail
- Van Ryn recovering from second concussion National Post
NHL and Hockey News
- Sundin is no traitor Toronto Sun
- Mats Sundin departs with ‘bitter taste’ Toronto Star
- Ballyhoo over Mats Sundin could blow up Toronto Star
- Mats, a mismatch and the magnificent Mason The Globe And Mail
- ‘Not a perfect situation’: Sundin The Globe And Mail
- Canucks excited to welcome Sundin Vancouver Sun
- Round 1 to Tavares Toronto Sun
- Russians playing for Cherepanov Toronto Sun
- Team Canada serves notice to Sweden Toronto Star
- Author stamps best-before date on NHLers Toronto Star
- Hockey notes Toronto Star
- Sens keep sliding AP
- What hockey refs do The Globe And Mail