Sunday news: Leafs lose two d-men in loss to Oilers
Defencemen Mike Van Ryn and Jonas Frogren may both have suffered season-ending injuries in last night’s 4-1 Leafs defeat to the Edmonton Oilers. Both players left the game in the first period with what were termed as ‘lower-body injuries’. With Tomas Kaberle and newly-acquired Eric Reitz still on the shelf for at least 10 days, the team will once again look to the Marlies for call-ups; likely Jamie Sifers and Anton Stralman.
Around the NHL, Eric Staal had a huge night for the Carolina Hurricanes, collecting 4 goals and 2 assists. Meanwhile the Senators’ mastery of the Buffalo Sabres continued.
The Marlies lost 6-1 to the Hershey Bears in AHL action.
Here are the headlines of stories relating to the Leafs and the Marlies in the news this morning:
Leafs Game Day
- Leafs left defenceless Toronto Sun
- Leaf ‘D’ hit hard in defeat by Oilers Toronto Star
- Leafs lose game, bodies National Post
- Short-handed Leafs fall to Oilers The Globe And Mail
- Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. shows poor patriotism Toronto Sun
- Hagman’s status iffy Toronto Sun
- New Leaf a visor fan Toronto Sun
- Goalie looks like Hall of Famer to Marlies CP
- Marlies Caught in Bear Trap TorontoMarlies.com
- Big Games, Big Goals, Big Points TorontoMarlies.com
NHL and Hockey News
- Hurricane Staal sweeps through with six points Toronto Star
- Senators continue domination of Sabres Ottawa Citizen
- Scrappy Roberts retires again National Post
- Ovechkin ready to return AP
- Once over lightly, but not politely MaxHockey.com
- Saturday’s scores NHL.com