Author Topic: Dallas Eakins signs 3-year extension  (Read 2547 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Dallas Eakins signs 3-year extension
« on: June 04, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
mirtle: Marlies coach Dallas Eakins has signed a three-year extension to remain in charge of the AHL team.

mirtle: Brian Burke: "Dallas is a wonderful teacher for our players in the AHL. He’s a huge contributor to our overall hockey organization."
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dallas Eakins signs 3-year extension
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 11:34:32 AM »
wonder if they gave him the golden handcuffs.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »
DarrenDreger: Dallas Eakins extension with Marlies keeps him in AHL through next season. After that he has flexibility to seek NHL head coaching job.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 11:53:04 AM »
Good for us.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:55:33 AM »
If I had to guess, he probably just became one of the richest coaches in the AHL.

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 11:55:46 AM »
Hard to find much fault with what he's done with the Marlies. A heck of a lot more deserving than Ron Wilson's extension.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »
Wait, I missed Eakins tweet.  :D

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 12:03:25 PM »
The extension aligns with the three years Carlyle got.  If he decides to stick around and/or receives no other opportunities, this may allow him to hone his skills in the A before being promoted to the big club. 

This situation reminds me of when Maurice was coaching the Marlies.

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 12:18:37 PM »

A key difference to me is that if Carlyle doesn't work out, we're probably looking for a new GM. Carlyle may be Burke's Maurice.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 12:28:28 PM »

A key difference to me is that if Carlyle doesn't work out, we're probably looking for a new GM. Carlyle may be Burke's Maurice.

Don't even talk like that cw.  God I can't take a few more seasons of futility.   It's been far too long since i've watched a Leafs playoff game, the team*needs* to make it this season.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 12:36:32 PM »
Does anyone think there is a possibility that Carlyle bring Eakins up as an assistant coach next season?  COuld that have been part of talks prior to signing an extension? 
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 02:04:37 PM »
Good! I'm glad they locked this guy up, I thought we were going to lose him. He is probably the best AHL coach we've had in a long time, if ever. Way to go Burke...
BWB

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »
Dreger is suggesting that the first year keeps him locked in as the AHL coach:

@DarrenDreger Dallas Eakins extension with Marlies keeps him in AHL through next season. After that he has flexibility to seek NHL head coaching job.

A year of stability and knowing he is the guy is a good thing.  I'm guessing he is probably being paid as well as the better NHL assistant coaches too.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 02:44:49 PM »
Dreger is suggesting that the first year keeps him locked in as the AHL coach:

@DarrenDreger Dallas Eakins extension with Marlies keeps him in AHL through next season. After that he has flexibility to seek NHL head coaching job.

A year of stability and knowing he is the guy is a good thing.  I'm guessing he is probably being paid as well as the better NHL assistant coaches too.

Interesting that he would go that route.  I'm thinking from Eakins point of view here but wouldn't' he want a crack at an NHL head coaching job if one comes up?  Locking himself up for the year takes him out of any conversations for mid season coaching replacements (when the inevitable hammer always falls somewhere).  Unless Carlyle falls flat on his face, Eakins future in Toronto as a head coach isn't very likely in the next few years.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 02:46:58 PM »
Interesting that he would go that route.  I'm thinking from Eakins point of view here but wouldn't' he want a crack at an NHL head coaching job if one comes up? Locking himself up for the year takes him out of any conversations for mid season coaching replacements (when the inevitable hammer always falls somewhere). Unless Carlyle falls flat on his face, Eakins future in Toronto as a head coach isn't very likely in the next few years.

To be fair, mid-season coaching replacements very rarely come from AHL teams that are affiliated with another organization. Muller getting the Carolina gig last season was sort of an anomaly.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 02:46:58 PM »