Author Topic: Something lacking... an Alpha-male perhaps?  (Read 8850 times)

Offline Madferret

• Veteran
  • CHUCK NORRIS X2
    • View Profile
Re: Something lacking... an Alpha-male perhaps?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 04:21:04 PM »
Phaneuf? The guy went into a new dressing room and plugged in HIS ipod...I mean come on! Bark bark!

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 04:25:11 PM »
It's interesting to see that in other threads posters are, to a degree, writing off the Rangers this year even with Richards. What does that tell you about his importance in relation to the team's success when the Rags are arguably on top of us in terms of talent?

Not much. It tells me that a lot of people are still acting like jilted lovers when it comes to Richards though.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Jalili

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 04:25:44 PM »

It is damn near impossible for this team to take the next step without this sort of player.  It just doesn't happen.

Completely agreed. We'll continue to just barely miss or make the playoffs until we get that guy. Which is guy I was willing to pretty much do whatever was necessary to sign Brad Richards. A player of his caliber might not be available again for another 5 years.

Agreed.  Exactly why I would have exceeded my limits to sign Brad.

I guess we have to pray that somehow, someway, Ryan Getzlaf makes it to free agency in 2 years.  He is exactly what this team needs.  He is developing into that guy, he's an elite player, exactly the type of center this team needs.  If he comes here I have no doubt the Toronto Maple Leafs become Ryan Getzlaf's team.

This is speculation on my part that some may question or disagree with, but I really don't see Getzlaf as the type who will opt to play in an environment like Toronto while giving up his laid back lifestyle in California.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 04:28:43 PM »
FWIW I think you can contend w/o an absolute top-tier 1C.  Sure, the guy has to be good, but  BOS won this year w/o one (I would argue).

You can win the cup with any sort of handicap. Crummy forwards(94-95 Devils), lousy defense(the Canes), Chris Osgood. There's no one specific thing needed to win a cup.
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
It's interesting to see that in other threads posters are, to a degree, writing off the Rangers this year even with Richards. What does that tell you about his importance in relation to the team's success when the Rags are arguably on top of us in terms of talent?

Not much. It tells me that a lot of people are still acting like jilted lovers when it comes to Richards though.

Agreed. Writing off a team that added a top-line centre to a roster that is virtually the same as the one that recorded 93 points the previous year seems like wishful thinking to me. I'm not saying that they're a lock to make the playoffs, but they'll definitely be very much in the mix.

With that said, I don't think very many people are actually writing off the Rangers. A couple of comments said that Lundqvist needs to be healthy and play like he can for them to succeed. And considering that Lundqvist has arguably been the most consistent goalie since entering the league, I think it's a safe bet he'll meet expectations.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »

It is damn near impossible for this team to take the next step without this sort of player.  It just doesn't happen.

Completely agreed. We'll continue to just barely miss or make the playoffs until we get that guy. Which is guy I was willing to pretty much do whatever was necessary to sign Brad Richards. A player of his caliber might not be available again for another 5 years.
and who was Boston's Richards? They really did it with the contributions from 4 centers, not just a #1 guy, so you can get a Sundin type all you want, but if you don't surround him with good players on his and the other lines it won't work, and we've seen that first hand.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 04:39:43 PM »

and who was Boston's Richards? They really did it with the contributions from 4 centers, not just a #1 guy, so you can get a Sundin type all you want, but if you don't surround him with good players on his and the other lines it won't work, and we've seen that first hand.

They did it with the contributions from 4 centres.... plus a Norris finalist and the best goalie in the world who set NHL records for his performance in both the regular season and the playoffs. If the Leafs acquired two players like that I'd be less bummed out about losing out on Richards.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »

Agreed.  Exactly why I would have exceeded my limits to sign Brad.

I guess we have to pray that somehow, someway, Ryan Getzlaf makes it to free agency in 2 years.  He is exactly what this team needs.  He is developing into that guy, he's an elite player, exactly the type of center this team needs.  If he comes here I have no doubt the Toronto Maple Leafs become Ryan Getzlaf's team.

This is speculation on my part that some may question or disagree with, but I really don't see Getzlaf as the type who will opt to play in an environment like Toronto while giving up his laid back lifestyle in California.

...man, I don't think so...
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 04:41:54 PM »

They did it with the contributions from 4 centres.... plus a Norris finalist and the best goalie in the world who set NHL records for his performance in both the regular season and the playoffs. If the Leafs acquired two players like that I'd be less bummed out about losing out on Richards.

What, Phaneuf and Reimer aren't going to get it done? Dammit.

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 04:59:52 PM »
FWIW I think you can contend w/o an absolute top-tier 1C.  Sure, the guy has to be good, but  BOS won this year w/o one (I would argue).

They did. But they also had a Norris finalist and Vezina winner on their team. That Vezina winner also had one of the best years by a goaltender in NHL history.

Exactly.  My criterion for a "contender" is a team with at least 2 players nominated for major end-of-season awards, no matter what the position.

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 05:02:15 PM »

You can win the cup with any sort of handicap. Crummy forwards(94-95 Devils), lousy defense(the Canes), Chris Osgood. There's no one specific thing needed to win a cup.

I see what you did there.  You simply cannot accept that my implacable logic has crushed your crazed anti-Osgood fulminations between my metaphorical thumb and forefinger.  Crushed.  Like an insignificant gnat.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 05:06:16 PM »

They did. But they also had a Norris finalist and Vezina winner on their team. That Vezina winner also had one of the best years by a goaltender in NHL history.

Exactly.  My criterion for a "contender" is a team with at least 2 players nominated for major end-of-season awards, no matter what the position.

Those are pretty high expectations for a Stanley Cup winner, let alone contenders. When Chicago won the Cup only Keith was nominated for an award (which he won). When Pittsburgh won in 2009 it was only Malkin. Carolina had 1 when they won.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:08:02 PM by CarltonTheBear »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »
I see what you did there.  You simply cannot accept that my implacable logic has crushed your crazed anti-Osgood fulminations between my metaphorical thumb and forefinger.  Crushed.  Like an insignificant gnat.

Ah yes. The implacable logic of Andrew Raycroft, HOFer.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:13:51 PM by Saint Nik »
-Mark Twain

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 05:12:05 PM »

Those are pretty high expectations for a Stanley Cup winner, let alone contenders. When Chicago won the Cup only Keith was nominated for an award (which he won). When Pittsburgh won in 2009 it was only Malkin. Carolina had 1 when they won.

So, at least one with an eye to two? ( hard to argue with the basic notion I think, Chara and Thomas in Boston, Keith and Toews in Chicago, Crosby and Malkin in Pitts... )

Offline nutman

• Veteran
  • Marner... This kid has game.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 07:49:29 PM »
My opinion is that we are young and for all we know we may just have that guy in our system already, i think its a wait and see thing. also we dont need one great player and a bunch of clowns, because we saw how that worked out the last few years. i like the way we are now, no great player but a whole lot of very good players.  we are better than most on these boards will admit.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 07:49:29 PM »