Author Topic: Leo Komarov  (Read 16629 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Leo Komarov
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2012, 02:39:34 PM »
Sure but as long as his expectations are in line with what the Leafs can offer.

Well, the Leafs can only offer a 1 year ELC, so, he already knows exactly what the basics of any contract he's going to receive will be.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 02:44:12 PM »
Just saw that TSN article.  I don't like the line "If they need me and they give me a good contract then I will go over there".  Sounds like he wants to cash in.

Doesn't everyone though? What's wrong with being frank about it?

Sure but as long as his expectations are in line with what the Leafs can offer.  How much would you be willing to give a 25 year old player who doesn't have any NHL experience?   Looking at his stats he has 30 goals in 145 KHL games, that doesn't exactly blow me away.

I don't know... Bozak territory?

I don't think they should go that high.  Bozak was a free agent and pursued by more than the Leafs, Komarov is the Leafs property and they have rights to sign him.   He sounds like a 3rd-4th liner to me, what's that worth?  Low end 600k high end 800k?

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »
That's probably low, 850k-1m is more likely and even that might be on the low side. Not sure what else the Leafs would be willing to do/offer without knowing if there's a bonus cushion and such with the new CBA.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 03:22:30 PM »
Just saw that TSN article.  I don't like the line "If they need me and they give me a good contract then I will go over there".  Sounds like he wants to cash in.

Sure but as long as his expectations are in line with what the Leafs can offer.  How much would you be willing to give a 25 year old player who doesn't have any NHL experience?   Looking at his stats he has 30 goals in 145 KHL games, that doesn't exactly blow me away.

I don't think they should go that high.  Bozak was a free agent and pursued by more than the Leafs, Komarov is the Leafs property and they have rights to sign him.   He sounds like a 3rd-4th liner to me, what's that worth?  Low end 600k high end 800k?

I wouldn't be upset if it took a million and a half to get him over here. Assuming A finnish leaf fan is accurate in his assessment in that he can play, I don't think it's out of line with what a third line player should be getting. I mean, 1.5 for Komarov hopefully replacing one of third liner Armsrong (3) or Lombardi (3.5)? Where do I sign up for that?       
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:24:28 PM by Sarge »

Offline Etiam Vultus

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 04:32:16 PM »
Komarov is compared to Jaarko Ruutu.

FWIW Ruutu topped out at $1.3 million after he had established himself.

My guess is somewhere in the $800,000 range on a one-year contract.

Online Guru Tugginmypuddah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 05:22:13 PM »
League minimum or he can go smell a belly button.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
League minimum or he can go smell a belly button.

.. but you've got to make him want to come over. If he can A) play and B) it's a reasonable number, why not?

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
That's probably low, 850k-1m is more likely and even that might be on the low side. Not sure what else the Leafs would be willing to do/offer without knowing if there's a bonus cushion and such with the new CBA.

Further to this, Bozak was still subject to elc rules when he was first signed. Not sure what his performance bonuses were written under but he had the max in all categories. That means his nhl salary, 875k, and his signing bonus, 87.5, was the bulk of the cap hit at the end of each of his first two years.

For Komarov, max salary and signing bonus is 1.0175 mil. I think it's likely we'll see a bonus cushion in the new CBA, maybe that's why Calgary went all in on Cervenka's contract.

Anywho, I wouldn't offer Komarov the moon from what I know but I would consider schedule a bonuses for +/- and ice time.

I would also consider schedule b but I have a question about that. The league pays schedule b bonuses regardless of what's in a players contract, does that mean players with, say, a Conn Smythe bonus written in their deal get an additional 250k on top of what the league pays? I mean, I guess otherwise why would you ever write a schedule b bonus into a contract but I can't find anything definitive.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 07:33:30 PM »
For Komarov, max salary and signing bonus is 1.0175 mil. I think it's likely we'll see a bonus cushion in the new CBA, maybe that's why Calgary went all in on Cervenka's contract.

Komarov is eligible for the exact same contract that Cervenka signed - $925K base + signing bonus, $850K CBA defined performance bonuses and $2M in additional performance bonuses.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:36:19 PM by bustaheims »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 07:44:37 PM »

Komarov is eligible for the exact same contract that Cervenka signed - $925K base + signing bonus, $850K CBA defined performance bonuses and $2M in additional performance bonuses.

I realize that but seeing as it's unlikely he'll achieve many of those bonuses I separated what I thought he might reasonably have a shot at from that group and outlined his guaranteed nhl money/cap hit. That's also part of the reason I brought up Bozak.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 08:11:46 PM »
I realize that but seeing as it's unlikely he'll achieve many of those bonuses I separated what I thought he might reasonably have a shot at from that group and outlined his guaranteed nhl money/cap hit. That's also part of the reason I brought up Bozak.

Sure, but a new CBA is signed, the whole of the cap hit has to be considered. On top of that, the unachieved bonuses don't come off the cap until they can not be achieved - which, in most cases, is the end of the season. Considering it could very well take a contract that provides max potential bonus money to get him to come over, the full $3.775M number is not something that should be taken out of the equation.

That being said, it's a one year deal, there's not much on the UFA market this season and the cap space issue could be very different by the time July 1st rolls around any ways (I suspect the days leading up to the draft and after will be very active this year).

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2012, 08:15:36 PM »
I would also consider schedule b but I have a question about that. The league pays schedule b bonuses regardless of what's in a players contract, does that mean players with, say, a Conn Smythe bonus written in their deal get an additional 250k on top of what the league pays? I mean, I guess otherwise why would you ever write a schedule b bonus into a contract but I can't find anything definitive.

There are 2 type of Schedule B bonuses - the ones defined in the CBA, which the league pays, and those negotiated by the team (which can only be in the same categories as those defined in the CBA) that the team pays. The league granted bonuses don't count against the cap, but those defined by the team do.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2012, 09:20:07 PM »

Sure, but a new CBA is signed, the whole of the cap hit has to be considered. On top of that, the unachieved bonuses don't come off the cap until they can not be achieved - which, in most cases, is the end of the season. Considering it could very well take a contract that provides max potential bonus money to get him to come over, the full $3.775M number is not something that should be taken out of the equation.

That being said, it's a one year deal, there's not much on the UFA market this season and the cap space issue could be very different by the time July 1st rolls around any ways (I suspect the days leading up to the draft and after will be very active this year).

I don't know what it will take to get him over. If he's not moving for less than max than I doubt he comes over, but that's a two way discussion as there would be risk on both sides. For the Leafs it could be a cap situation, for Leo it could be 70k in the A or playing top six quality to justify his existence with a max contract which doesn't seem likely. I'd look for some middle ground there if there's reasonable negotiations. Cervenka has more of a track record to justify his existence than Komarov, for comparison. He was the leading goal scorer during the season a year ago and was the leading scorer in this years playoffs.

Komarov's team did win the Gagarin cup, beat Cervenka's team but I don't know how much stock to place in that. That's probably the real trouble, it's a guess.

Edit to add: While I don't personally think the bonus cushion is an issue for these negotiations, I haven't heard or read anything to suggest it won't be back, I also don't want the Leafs to use it up needlessly when it returns. I imagine the gm's have an idea of how that'll play out to help guide them at least.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 10:26:31 PM by Tigger »

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
Leo Komarov
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 07:33:32 AM »

I wouldn't be upset if it took a million and a half to get him over here. Assuming A finnish leaf fan is accurate in his assessment in that he can play, I don't think it's out of line with what a third line player should be getting. I mean, 1.5 for Komarov hopefully replacing one of third liner Armsrong (3) or Lombardi (3.5)? Where do I sign up for that?     

Armstrong and Lombardi are way overpaid for what they do.  I wouldn't use them as a 3rd line yardstick.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2012, 08:23:46 AM »

Armstrong and Lombardi are way overpaid for what they do.  I wouldn't use them as a 3rd line yardstick.

Fine but a buck and a half is completely within the within the acceptable range for a third liner as far as I'm concerned.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2012, 08:23:46 AM »