Author Topic: 2012 NHL Entry Draft  (Read 36340 times)

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 NHL Entry Draft
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 09:26:49 PM »
Looks like Sarnia is getting crushed by Saginaw... How does this bode for Yakupov/Galch?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 09:55:17 PM »
Will have to ask Tie Domi.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2012, 01:47:32 AM »
Looks like Sarnia is getting crushed by Saginaw... How does this bode for Yakupov/Galch?

Crushed might be a bit strong. The series is 3-2 now in favour of Saginaw and 3 of the games have gone to overtime.

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 10:10:09 AM »

Crushed might be a bit strong. The series is 3-2 now in favour of Saginaw and 3 of the games have gone to overtime.

Well, the last game they really crapped the bed. Yakupov and Galch both held off the scoresheet. It doesn't look like they're really powering through the series.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 12:22:41 PM »

Well, the last game they really crapped the bed. Yakupov and Galch both held off the scoresheet. It doesn't look like they're really powering through the series.

They were both at a point-per-game mark prior to that game. I suppose you would expect a little more than that considering their potential draft positions, but it's not like they've been invisible on the points board all around. I've read some pretty positive comments about Galy's game too considering the injury he just came off of.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2012, 05:52:10 PM »
Burke has to pick a centre. Please no D, we have plenty of D prospects. Grigorenko is obviously most talented, but Galchenyuk would be nice pick too. I guess Burke would prefer taking American prospect over Russian, especially if there are some reports that Grigorenko has work-ethic issues (meaning not exactely Carlyle type of player).

Dunno why but I totally missed that Galchenyuk played for team USA.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 06:24:52 PM »
So, after realizing I didn't know this guy very well I looked around and, while far from a literary genius, the kid maintained a blog at NHL.com this year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blog.htm?id=220
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 05:36:16 PM »
Seasons are over for both Yakupov and Galchenyuk. Neither was as dominant as you'd expect in their first round loss, but I've read a number of times that Galy actually outplayed Yakupov during the series. Perhaps Yakupov came back a bit too early from his concussion.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 06:18:44 PM »
Could be a year where maybe having the #1 pick isn't such a good thing. I mean you kind of have to take Yakupov but at the same time, there's some risk in doing so.

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 10:27:27 PM »
Could be a year where maybe having the #1 pick isn't such a good thing. I mean you kind of have to take Yakupov but at the same time, there's some risk in doing so.

I think this year there's a lot of good players you can pick up until the 10th pick or so. I think they all carry some risk, but all carry more of a reward.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 03:33:39 PM »
Any chance that Columbus will trade their draft picks (Yakupov, etc.,) for a combination of top prospects/top goaltender, or whatever the Blue Jackets so desperately require?  (This may or not be included in a Rick Nash trading).

Have read that the Blue Jackets are fed up of the problems as per  their Russian roster players and aren't too keen on acquiring yet more Russians.

Sounds almost ridiculous for a team like Columbus to be wanting to trade their top picks, but then, nothing much makes sense with that team so far.

Anything's possible.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:35:15 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 04:32:57 PM »
Any chance that Columbus will trade their draft picks (Yakupov, etc.,) for a combination of top prospects/top goaltender, or whatever the Blue Jackets so desperately require?  (This may or not be included in a Rick Nash trading).

Have read that the Blue Jackets are fed up of the problems as per  their Russian roster players and aren't too keen on acquiring yet more Russians.

Sounds almost ridiculous for a team like Columbus to be wanting to trade their top picks, but then, nothing much makes sense with that team so far.

Anything's possible.

Maybe they just want to trade down a bit to acquire a different player than Yakupov?
BWB

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »

Anything's possible.

Maybe they just want to trade down a bit to acquire a different player than Yakupov?

I think that this whole thing about Columbus being afraid to draft another lousy Russian player is more of a media fabrication where they have put 2+2 together.  It would be no more or less a concern of the league in general.

Columbus' problem isn't drafting lousy Russian players, its drafting lousy players, period. 

Online lamajama

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 09:34:41 AM »
I'm not sure I agree. I think selling the fans is a major point in a market like
Columbus and drafting another Russian after their dismal showings will be a tough sell. I do not know what Nail is like but no where have I read that he's anywhere near a "generational" talent like Ovie or now Malkin.

I know any 18 year old is a risk but Ovie/Malkin IMO were pretty safe picks in terms of expectations. I'd like to hear other comments about the 3 Russians and will do so in the future.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2012, 09:47:31 AM »
The way things stand now, I might have Radek Faska as our "worse case scenario" and man, I'd be thrilled to draft him.

"He’s not afraid to play in traffic, go to the net, take hits, deliver hits and he plays with a bit of an edge. He’s got real good playmaking skills, good puck ability … he’s got real good ability to get the puck through to the net and make plays." – NHL Central Scouting’s Chris Edwards

Apparently, he's now 6'3', 203 lbs and obviously growing. I mean, does this not sound like a guy we're looking for?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2012, 09:47:31 AM »