Author Topic: Your summer 2012 strategy?  (Read 22010 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Your summer 2012 strategy?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 01:25:15 PM »
Like I said, "the sky falls on you", meaning has fallen already, which, if it were to happen, I would assume make one upset.

Well, but that's the point, isn't it? Chicken Little's fears were fundamentally irrational because the sky doesn't actually fall.

I just don't get the allusion, I suppose. I mean, I understand why some people might want to paint anyone bummed out as being Chicken Little but I don't think it follows.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Erndog

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 01:31:16 PM »
Man, when things go bad, the sky really does fall on you, eh?  Cheer up man!!  Free hugs.

It's only "falling" in the sense that I am convinced we are going to suck again next year as well.  After that who knows, but for the forseable future we are going to be in the same position as now.  Just a crappy hockey team.  2-3 years ago we were saying we would be in a playoff spot by now but 2-3 years go by and we are STILL at least a couple years ago.

I've also resigned myself to the fact we are Columbus-East.  1 star winger, no goaltending, severly overpaid players (Umberger/Vermette/Methot/Tyutin/etc vs. Grabovski somewhat/Komisarek/Lombardi/Connolly, etc).

This is probably going to sound the most chicken little of all but I don't see much in terms of our young players either.  I wouldn't be surprised if in 3 years not 1 of Ashton, Colborne, Kadri, Schenn or Kulemin are even on the roster.  In fact, I'd probably make a fun bet that 3 years from now not a single one of those guys is playing for us.

Anyways, I'm venting I know, and I apologize but I've just given up mostly because, like Nik said, I look ahead and don't see any way of improving.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 01:34:06 PM »
Ern, I think there are some moveable parts at both the NHL and AHL level... There's room for a shake-up here this off-season. I'm hanging on to that.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 01:35:11 PM »
This is probably going to sound the most chicken little of all but I don't see much in terms of our young players either.  I wouldn't be surprised if in 3 years not 1 of Ashton, Colborne, Kadri, Schenn or Kulemin are even on the roster.  In fact, I'd probably make a fun bet that 3 years from now not a single one of those guys is playing for us.

That's just having a less than rosy outlook. Chicken Little was panicking. Honestly, at this point, I'd take some panic. Right now the overwhelming sentiment seems to be glum resignation.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Erndog

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »
Ern, I think there are some moveable parts at both the NHL and AHL level... There's room for a shake-up here this off-season. I'm hanging on to that.

I mean... sure.  At the end of the day we could move a bunch of players but the ones we *could* move are the ones we probably don't want too.  And the ones we can't move are the ones we want too.

I suppose next deadline we could deal quite a few guys but again, by that time it could be very well be too late and we'd be facing yet another year with no playoffs.

Offline hap_leaf

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 01:37:41 PM »
Also, trading for a number one might be pretty difficult, risky too.

I was going to say landing a proven #1 could be more than difficult, closer to impossible.

That's just it. It is pretty much impossible. How many guys who were already clear #1 goalies have been traded in the past decade? I can only think of 2, and one pretty much demanded a deal out of Florida. The guys that will be available for trade are platoon guys, younger backups who might be able to shoulder the load and guys with other question marks surrounding them - and, I think we'd all agree, the Leafs have been down that road enough times with no success to really hang their hopes on that. Unless one of these guys comes cheap, sign a vet who can split time with Reimer/Gustavsson/whoever and go from there.

Agreed and I would say the same about a #1 C.  A guy like Nash just doesn't come up very often, in his prime.  If he truly is available this summer and the price comes down to reality, Burke should consider giving in and taking the plunge.  You could draft for years before you find this calibre of player and from what I have seen in our drafting history I wouldn't bank on it happening any time soon. You put him in our lineup and it solves a world of hurt for the next 10 years.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »

I mean... sure.  At the end of the day we could move a bunch of players but the ones we *could* move are the ones we probably don't want too.  And the ones we can't move are the ones we want too.

I suppose next deadline we could deal quite a few guys but again, by that time it could be very well be too late and we'd be facing yet another year with no playoffs.

Just trying to get you to mid July... After that, well, I guess it's up to the crash net.  :P 

Offline Zid

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 01:43:04 PM »
Man, the end to the last season was so much better. We missed the play offs but we ended the season on such a roll and finally had a #1 goalie. So much optimism moving forward. Also we had plenty of cap space to look forward to that summer (possibly even chance at Brad Richards). Forward to this and it's a doozy.

Offline Hurricane

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »
As a number one priority, I would target Vokoun and then if unsuccessful, Nabokov.  I would let Gus walk and work with Reimer as a backup.

On D, I would look for some tough, defensive oriented players who can eat minutes, but won't cost too much.  Greg Zanon and Adrian Aucoin if possible - Aucoin on a one year deal.  Other players in a similar mould may be out there.

I agree with Tiger on guys like McClement, Moen and Prust for the third and fourth lines.

If needed, I would buy out Komisarek, but guys like Armstrong and Lombardi may not make the team next year with these new additions, in which case they would be demoted to the Marlies.

Finally, if I thought I could fit him, I'd try for Parise.  Yu need to add guys of his calibre when you can and the Leafs in particular need high end, puck possession forwards.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:45:32 PM by Hurricane »

Offline Bonsixx

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2012, 04:40:39 PM »
Goalie. Goalie. Goalie.

See if there's anyway to pry Halak out of St. Louis. Barring that, move mountains to get Schneider out of Vancouver. If that fails, try for Bernier in Los Angeles. I know his numbers aren't much better than what we have, but he's got a nice pedigree at least, and he's never been able to get into a groove in the NHL because Quick has been amazing for the last few years.

But for the love of God, don't come back with Gus and Reimer, or Reimer and Scrivens, or any other combination of suck that's currently with the organization.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2012, 04:44:13 PM »
Goalie. Goalie. Goalie.

See if there's anyway to pry Halak out of St. Louis. Barring that, move mountains to get Schneider out of Vancouver. If that fails, try for Bernier in Los Angeles. I know his numbers aren't much better than what we have, but he's got a nice pedigree at least, and he's never been able to get into a groove in the NHL because Quick has been amazing for the last few years.

But for the love of God, don't come back with Gus and Reimer, or Reimer and Scrivens, or any other combination of suck that's currently with the organization.

I think trading with St. Louis would be more probably than Vancouver.  I get the feeling that Gillis doesn't like Burke and wouldn't want to trade anything good to him.  Stems back to the whole Sedin / tampering thing and the fact that he took over Burke/Nonis's team.

Offline Bonsixx

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2012, 05:07:09 PM »
Goalie. Goalie. Goalie.

I think trading with St. Louis would be more probably than Vancouver.  I get the feeling that Gillis doesn't like Burke and wouldn't want to trade anything good to him.  Stems back to the whole Sedin / tampering thing and the fact that he took over Burke/Nonis's team.

Yeah, but no good GM would turn down a solid deal for his team. Depends what his definition of "solid deal" is, I guess. Maybe getting a third team involved might help? Who knows.

Halak would be my first choice anyway.

Online lamajama

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2012, 05:07:55 PM »
I myself am resigned to the fact that Kadri will not be in the Leaf
organization by next October.

I hope that he totally then embarrasses the Leaf organization by developing
into a great player.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Offline The Red Polar Bear

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
Anyone think Lindback may be an option? He's 23, at the end of his ELC (RFA), and with Rinne being signed for the next eleventy billion years, he has to know that he'll never become a starter there.

They're in need of some bodies on D, especially if Suter doesn't stick around. Perhaps a sign-and-trade can be worked out there, or trade-then-sign, whatever.

Offline BC Buds Fan

• Prospect
  • team nutman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 11:22:31 PM »
Centre: Out - Lombardi and Connolly.  Wait till Lombardi and Connolly get off the bus for a pee break and tell the driver to punch it.  Lombardi isn't as fast as a bus and Connolly won't even try.  Bring up Colborne for a kick at the can in the 2 or 3 slot, definitely bring in a legitimate #1 centre (add Bozak as a piece if necessary, but I think he's okay as a #3).

Right Wing: Out - Crabb and Armstrong. Poor Arm-dog has Colaiacovo disease, for whatever reason he's snakebitten in TO and hasn't had a chance to make an impact.  Put him in a multi-player trade involving a #1 C or an impact winger who dominates on the boards.  Brownie and Crabb are both good 4th liners, but you can only have one 4th line RW, so I'd go with Brown -- he's awesome.

Left Wing: Out - The General.  Sorry, but I think Mac is a bit of a flash in the pan, and benefited from being on a good line last year.

Defence: Out - Komisarek.  Bring up Holzer, or better yet some veteran who isn't afraid to touch the puck.

Goal: Out - The Monster.  They've already decided to go with Reimer, so they'll either trade him or let him walk.  I just hope they bring in a reliable veteran mentor.  You know who would be awesome to have right now?  Giguere. Roloson.  Someone old enough to play backup but who can step in and step up.

I think Carlyle will instill some defensive tendencies, and I think the D and goalies will benefit.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 11:22:31 PM »