Author Topic: Tyler Biggs  (Read 13293 times)

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
Re: Tyler Biggs
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 04:50:35 PM »
I was referring specifically to the CHL. I mean, it's hard to argue against Euroleague basketball being a professional league.

I'm working from memory here but I think the few times it got challenged, most recently with Enes Kanter, it wasn't all that cut and dry either where there was some confusion as to whether or not Kanter had actually gotten a paycheck or if he'd received money for various "expenses" in a manner similar to the CHL.

As for the CHL, I imagine the situation would probably be a lot more muddy than you're giving it credit for.

To be fair, I did describe the NCAA's position on being on soggy mud so I think it's hard to be much muddier then that. With that said, I think the NCAA's position has long been that as a somewhat independent organization they get to decide for themselves what the parameters they follow are. I don't know that there are particular laws/bodies that have that sort of jurisdiction to overrule a decision they make in that regard.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 05:05:24 PM »
Deal.

So after I agreed to this I find out his dad played for the Generals.

:o :'(

Online Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online Guru Tugginmypuddah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 04:09:43 PM »
I like this kids ambition: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1173134--maple-leafs-prospect-tyler-biggs-leaves-college-heading-north

Say what?

His college coach, Enrico Blasi, told the Star that Biggs is welcome back if he changes his mind and doesnít violate his NCAA eligibility by signing a pro contract.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 04:14:47 PM »
I like this kids ambition: http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1173134--maple-leafs-prospect-tyler-biggs-leaves-college-heading-north

Say what?

His college coach, Enrico Blasi, told the Star that Biggs is welcome back if he changes his mind and doesnít violate his NCAA eligibility by signing a pro contract.

I think that means if he doesn't sign a pro contract with the Leafs and he changes his mind sometime between now and the start of the school yeah, then he would be allowed back on the team.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 04:17:24 PM »

Say what?

I thought I heard a rumor that he signed his ELC, that would be that if so.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »

Say what?

Right. That comment was probably just his coach saying the right things, which is nice to see/hear.

Online Guru Tugginmypuddah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 04:19:53 PM »

Say what?

While there is no contract on the table yet from the Maple Leafs, Biggs said he needs to come north to help his game.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 04:28:44 PM »
Yeah, I read the article, the rumor was floating around yesterday. I highly doubt he would 'come north to help his game' without some input from the Leafs.

Either way, like Carlton said, that's probably the coach saying the right things and likely reflects well on Tyler.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2012, 12:05:27 PM »
Encouraging;

Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets
Tyler biggs is tossing bodies in his way. Biggs looks bigger and skating is much improved. He'll help oshawa next fall biggs-time.#tmltalk

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
Tyler Biggs
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2012, 12:32:13 PM »
Encouraging;

Tyler biggs is tossing bodies in his way. Biggs looks bigger and skating is much improved. He'll help oshawa next fall biggs-time.#tmltalk

To be fair, Paul Hendrick is a huge Leafs homer.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2012, 12:36:48 PM »
Yeah, but he's there and I'm here so while I take it with a grain of salt, I'm still rather encouraged by what he's saying.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2012, 12:47:08 PM »
Encouraging;

To be fair, Paul Hendrick is a huge Leafs homer.

I mean, I could be wrong but isn't he technically a club employee?
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2012, 12:59:19 PM »
Usually there is one guy who shows up at camp a little under the radar and wows people, I wonder if it's Biggs turn this coming season.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2012, 01:23:08 PM »
Usually there is one guy who shows up at camp a little under the radar and wows people, I wonder if it's Biggs turn this coming season.

You could be right, he certainly is coming in with the right attitude for that accomplishment.

Tyler Biggs is pumped for prospects camp.

The Cincinnati-born right winger will join the Toronto Maple Leafs other prospects at a summer training camp July 2-5 at MasterCard Centre for on-ice workouts as well as seminars on conditioning, media awareness, personal development and nutrition.

"Itís going to be another good experience, but I think itíll be better the second time around," said Biggs, who attended last yearís camp. "I donít think Iíll be in so much awe. With the comfort comes confidence and I think it just builds from there."

Biggs was drafted in the first round by the Maple Leafs, 22nd overall, in 2011 and played last season at the University of Miami (Ohio). In 37 games as a freshman he managed nine goals and 17 points with 63 penalty minutes. However, he has left the school with the notion of playing in the NHL next season. If he doesnít crack the Leafs lineup, he has other options; namely either playing in the American Hockey League with the Marlies or the Ontario Hockey League with the Oshawa Generals.

"It was a good experience and Iím glad I went there," Biggs said of the University of Miami (Ohio). "It was a different style of hockey than what I was used to. Unfortunately my physical style of play did get called a lot and sometimes inconsistently, but thatís the way it goes sometimes. I had a lot of fun. I had great teammates and great coaches and I did become a better player."

The Leafs are on the lookout to get bigger and meaner next season and while GM Brian Burke has said that may require acquiring experienced players from other organizations through free agency and trades, Biggs would seem to be a perfect fit, even though he is only 19 years old.
BWB

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2012, 01:23:08 PM »