Author Topic: Tyler Biggs  (Read 13296 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Tyler Biggs
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 09:55:05 PM »
You can leave college for the OHL but you can't leave the OHL for college.  That seems kind of stupid.

You can, it's just that, if you do it mid-season, you can't play until next season - though, really, by the time you reach college age, you've put in 2 or 3 junior seasons and likely only have 1 or 2 left, so, why wouldn't you stick it out and go to college after if you don't get drafted/signed?
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 08:47:49 AM »
IMO, 99% chance he ends up with the Marlies, not the Generals.

$$

Offline seahawk

• Site Contributor
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 12:12:39 PM »
TSNBobMcKenzie: Hearing TOR 1st rder Tyler Biggs leaving Miami (OH) University. Options next season would include NHL (Leafs), AHL (Marlies), OHL (Oshawa).

You can leave college for the OHL but you can't leave the OHL for college.  That seems kind of stupid.

It's because in their view, the NCAA considers junior hockey as 'professional'. Once you play in the CHL, you forfeit any NCAA eligibility. Go figure.

Offline Etiam Vultus

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 12:21:13 PM »

$$

Didn't D'Amigo leave NCAA hockey after one year?  When he failed to make the Leafs, he went to the Marlies.  He struggled badly, and midway through the season they sent him to the Kitchener Rangers to get his confidence back. 

I believe that the Leafs control whether he plays in the AHL or the CHL.  Based on D'Amigo, I am betting they send him to the Generals.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 12:32:04 PM »
It's because in their view, the NCAA considers junior hockey as 'professional'. Once you play in the CHL, you forfeit any NCAA eligibility. Go figure.

That really only stands because no one has challenged it. If they did, that rule would get overthrown fairly swiftly.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Erndog

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 01:02:21 PM »

$$

Friendly wager to this site ;)

He plays more games for the Generals than he does the Marlies next year.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 01:10:16 PM »

$$

Done.

what's the wager?

$10? $1? 7 cookies? Loser takes madferret out on a date?

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Tyler Biggs
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 03:15:35 PM »
Sounds like he's signed his ELC.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
I heard ferret likes to dress his dates in full spartan head gear with matching red and black leather thong and gag-ball, Ern. - Just sayin'

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »

That really only stands because no one has challenged it. If they did, that rule would get overthrown fairly swiftly.

The rule against former pros playing NCAA sports? I think it has been challenged by some guys who've played Euroleague basketball and it's held.

I don't know that it's specifically been challenged regarding the CHL but guys do get some kind of cash so I'm guessing the NCAA would be on the same sort of soggy mud they call firm ground they usually are.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 03:41:03 PM »
I heard ferret likes to dress his dates in full spartan head gear with matching red and black leather thong and gag-ball, Ern. - Just sayin'

That's quite the visual.  :-\

Offline Erndog

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 03:45:22 PM »

$$

Done.

what's the wager?

He was drafted in 2011, so what about a friendly wager (donation) to this site in the other person's name for $20.11?

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 03:50:30 PM »

That's quite the visual.  :-\

Yeah, that's him!

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 03:55:43 PM »

$$

Done.

what's the wager?

He was drafted in 2011, so what about a friendly wager (donation) to this site in the other person's name for $20.11?

Deal. 

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 04:38:52 PM »
The rule against former pros playing NCAA sports? I think it has been challenged by some guys who've played Euroleague basketball and it's held.

I don't know that it's specifically been challenged regarding the CHL but guys do get some kind of cash so I'm guessing the NCAA would be on the same sort of soggy mud they call firm ground they usually are.

I was referring specifically to the CHL. I mean, it's hard to argue against Euroleague basketball being a professional league. As for the CHL, I imagine the situation would probably be a lot more muddy than you're giving it credit for. CHL players are not under contract, the league is considered to be an amateur league, etc. They don't really earn a salary either - teams cover their living expenses and they get a per diem of sorts, but nothing that's contractually negotiated or the like. If a CHL player wanted to NCAA hockey and took the legal process seriously, I don't think the NCAA would win out - especially in light of the fact that they allow USHL players to play, being that the USHL is the American equivalent of the CHL.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 04:42:29 PM by bustaheims »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 04:38:52 PM »