Author Topic: Carter Ashton  (Read 7233 times)

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Carter Ashton
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 12:32:58 PM »
I'm with the people who think he probably should not be the first call-up.

With that being said, Burke mentioned on more than one occasion when we traded for him that several scouts had been encouraging him to go for Ashton for quite some time, some people who know more than a little are clearly very high on him.  I suspect this might be why he is getting a look a little sooner, just to gauge one how much truth there is to and two, how close he might be.

Does it really matter at this point?  The Marlies players have been together for most of the season and are playing well and heading into a playoff run.  Carter is a late-comer, so why take a key member of the Marlies who's been contributing all year and promote him to the Leafs who are currently going to miss the playoffs?  Let the Marlies have their run down there with the team in tact.

Even if they're toast (and I agree, it's very probable), for next season, I wouldn't mind having a look at a few guys like Ashton to see where they are. The NHL game is different than the AHL game - some guys do better in the NHL, for example. The Marlies time for the playoffs will come soon enough and I'm sure Ashton will be front and center for that effort.

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 08:21:48 PM »
But what about Luca Caputi? Philipe Paradis?  or any other big winger aquired in the last few years?

Those 2 are with different organizations.

Offline No.92

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 10:21:00 PM »
Should we say bust yet?  :P

So far he's been meh to me.  Perhaps it's the fact that he's not playing with high end skill to feed him the puck, but he hasn't really touched the puck much and I don't even think he has more than 1 shot on net.  I hope it works out because I would have liked to have kept Aulie instead.  I saw real potential in him.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 11:04:36 PM »
Should we say bust yet?  :P

So far he's been meh to me.  Perhaps it's the fact that he's not playing with high end skill to feed him the puck, but he hasn't really touched the puck much and I don't even think he has more than 1 shot on net.  I hope it works out because I would have liked to have kept Aulie instead.  I saw real potential in him.
???
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 11:25:59 PM »
Has 4 shots in 3 games.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 12:14:41 AM »
Uses his body well, finishes his checks, skates well.

Real signs of potential...total bust for sure.

::)

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 04:59:43 PM »
Has 4 shots in 3 games.

It took frattin several games before he scored too.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 05:42:37 PM »
I like a lot of the things he is doing, but I really haven't seen anything from him offensively.  He had that great scoring chance against the Islanders when he drove to the net, but I honestly couldn't say that he is even average when he has the puck on his stick.  Way too early to write him off.  I still think he's a good year or so away from being capable of regular NHL action.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2012, 05:52:12 PM »
I like a lot of the things he is doing, but I really haven't seen anything from him offensively.  He had that great scoring chance against the Islanders when he drove to the net, but I honestly couldn't say that he is even average when he has the puck on his stick.  Way too early to write him off.  I still think he's a good year or so away from being capable of regular NHL action.

He showing he can be physical and play a little D. Hopefully, the rest will come.

Offline Spare Change

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2012, 09:16:10 PM »
I don't know about on TV, but at yesterdays game, he looked pretty good. Grabs, Frattin and Ashton meshed pretty well, and seemed to have decent puck possession.

He uses his size well, he looks like he's got a good head on his shoulders, and decent hockey sense.

He's not a proven NHL'er yet, but he fit in with the team yesterday (whether that's good or bad I dont know).
You'll have to excuse me, I'm not at my best...

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »

He has still shown more offense then stajan ever did.

Offline moon111

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 12:43:52 PM »

So does that make him a 4th line or 3rd line player?
R.I.P. Maureen.  You'll always be with us.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 07:19:02 PM »

Funny but no.

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2012, 01:45:12 AM »

Funny but no.

Funny and right.  That is why stajan is on calgary's 4th line.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2012, 01:51:41 AM »

Funny but no.

Funny and right.  That is why stajan is on calgary's 4th line.

Care to elaborate on how Ashton's 0 points in 10 NHL games is showing 'more offense than Stajan ever did' when Stajan has 4 seasons of 15+ goals and seasons of 40 and 50+ points?

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2012, 01:51:41 AM »