Author Topic: Carter Ashton  (Read 7231 times)

Offline TSG

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
    • @ThatShortGuy
Re: Carter Ashton
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 08:53:42 AM »
Carter may get his first NHL game tonight!

Jonas Siegel @jonasTSN1050
Carter Ashton on my flight to Pittsburgh. Leafs may need a body tonight with Lupul/Armstrong out. Would be first NHL game.
I'm an intern at MLSE - thatshortguy.com

Offline Zid

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 09:12:08 AM »
Kinda suprising he just joins a team and gets a call up over bunch of Marlies who worked hard all year. Rather see Mueller or something

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 09:13:02 AM »
Carter may get his first NHL game tonight!

Jonas Siegel @jonasTSN1050
Carter Ashton on my flight to Pittsburgh. Leafs may need a body tonight with Lupul/Armstrong out. Would be first NHL game.

I was wondering if he was going to get a game. The Leafs seem to do this when we acquire a player, wanting to get a look at him in the NHL. I hope he plays..
BWB

Offline Boston Leaf

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 09:17:17 AM »
But what about Luca Caputi? Philipe Paradis?  or any other big winger aquired in the last few years?

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 09:27:56 AM »
But what about Luca Caputi? Philipe Paradis?  or any other big winger aquired in the last few years?

What about them?

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 09:51:32 AM »
Carter Ashton tonight?  Will March 7th, 2012 be the date we circle on the calendar and say "this is when the corner was turned!"

Offline Zid

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 09:58:41 AM »
Carter Ashton tonight?  Will March 7th, 2012 be the date we circle on the calendar and say "this is when the corner was turned!"

I think we already did that when Brayden Irwin was signed.

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »
Count me among the Mueller backers, although I'm not disappointed that Ashton is getting a look.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 10:24:01 AM »
Count me among the corner turners, with Ashton getting a look. ;)
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 12:18:33 PM »
I'm with the people who think he probably should not be the first call-up.

With that being said, Burke mentioned on more than one occasion when we traded for him that several scouts had been encouraging him to go for Ashton for quite some time, some people who know more than a little are clearly very high on him.  I suspect this might be why he is getting a look a little sooner, just to gauge one how much truth there is to and two, how close he might be.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 12:20:43 PM »

With that being said, Burke mentioned on more than one occasion when we traded for him that several scouts had been encouraging him to go for Ashton for quite some time, some people who know more than a little are clearly very high on him.  I suspect this might be why he is getting a look a little sooner, just to gauge one how much truth there is to and two, how close he might be.

Does it really matter at this point?  The Marlies players have been together for most of the season and are playing well and heading into a playoff run.  Carter is a late-comer, so why take a key member of the Marlies who's been contributing all year and promote him to the Leafs who are currently going to miss the playoffs?  Let the Marlies have their run down there with the team in tact.

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 12:21:13 PM »
Plus, I'm sure he's worked just as hard as the Marlies guys (just for another AHL team), and he hasn't been called up yet, so I don't feel too bad for the other guys.  It's not like he's come from junior and skipped past them all, he's put in his AHL time too.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
That is probably also a factor Zee, in Ashton's first game and I think subsequent games, it was mentioned that he was shuttled between lines without a natural place on an already established for the most part team.  Although he did find some chemistry with Deschamps(sp?) apparently.  I think it's probably a combination of all these things.

As for 'missing the playoffs', I doubt anyone in the organisation is making decisions on the assumption that we miss out.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 12:25:55 PM »

As for 'missing the playoffs', I doubt anyone in the organisation is making decisions on the assumption that we miss out.

They can't be that blind.  Realistically the Leafs are 2-3 losses away from being done.  Our max point total right now if we go 16-0 is 99 points.  Lose 3 games and it's 93 points...it's bleak.

Offline Zid

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 12:29:37 PM »

Does it really matter at this point?  The Marlies players have been together for most of the season and are playing well and heading into a playoff run.  Carter is a late-comer, so why take a key member of the Marlies who's been contributing all year and promote him to the Leafs who are currently going to miss the playoffs?  Let the Marlies have their run down there with the team in tact.

Its called rewarding. These guys make "peanuts" for AHL salaries. You give a guy like Mueller 15 games at NHL league minimum pay (or whatever he signed for) and that's a huge boost.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 12:29:37 PM »