Author Topic: CHL, Hockey USA look to ban fighting  (Read 3112 times)

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: CHL, Hockey USA look to ban fighting
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »
Well this is going strictly on my own opinion so take it with a grain of salt, but you certainly hear an eruption when a fight breaks out. This doesn't just go for the guys in the stands, it also happens in sportsbars and recrooms across the continent.

I agree that in the end, fighting will all but disappear, but my point was(again my own opinion) that I think the people in charge will 'fight' to keep it in the game as long as possible because they see $ signs associated with it.

I could see some changes slowly coming in. The ref's kicking guys out/suspending guys for staging fights would be one place to start. Limiting amount of fights per game/per team may be a step also.

My point wasn't that fans don't get excited for fights, my point was that I don't necessarily think it translates the way you think it does to the BoG. I mean, take my penalty shot example. Penalty shots are exciting. If you or I were at a game and Kessel got a penalty shot we'd be on our feet cheering for him to score, right?

But neither of us would sit down and watch a hockey game because there might be a penalty shot in it. We wouldn't buy tickets on the chance that a penalty shot might happen. I think the same is true with fighting, although I acknowledge that fights are more common. I think a fight can be exciting, sure, but if I'm cheering at a hockey game for a fight the reality is that I'm already there. I've already bought my ticket and the reason I did so was to watch a hockey game, not a fight. To sell me a ticket, the NHL has to put on a decent product regardless of whether or not a fight might break out.

I mean, the WJC and playoffs do pretty good numbers with fighting being a rarity so I'm not sure there's all that much to suggest it does mean dollars and cents.

Perhaps you are correct.

I've always been of the opinion that in order to attract those 'southern' fans, you needed the fighting. I'm swaying the other way in that opinion as I think with violence under such a microscope, mom's and  such will be turning their kids away from hockey because of it.

I could take or leave the fighting myself. As L K says, you don't ever watch a game without fighting and think, man I wish there was a fight.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 04:46:17 AM »
Talk about a hockey fight...this was more of a 'dance lesson'  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HKhtGbSyUY&feature=player_embedded

Offline pnjunction

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 05:07:04 AM »
Talk about a hockey fight...this was more of a 'dance lesson'  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HKhtGbSyUY&feature=player_embedded

Hah I wonder if those guys are wishing there were no fighting; could have avoided that embarrassment.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 05:07:04 AM »