Author Topic: Dale Mitchell to ANA for Mark Fraser  (Read 2951 times)

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dale Mitchell to ANA for Mark Fraser
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »
Mitchell was going nowhere a while ago, so Burke using him to land this guy, virtually replacing most of what Aulie was bringing was a very good move. He may even have some NHL injury call-up in him, if the need arises. What I like about him is that he has NHL experience, but also that he is big and a bit nasty

I tried to look at video of him when I was looking into him because I didn't know much about him.

Unfortunately, most of the video was of his fights (he has a consistent and effective technique of jabbing with the hand that has a hold of his opponents sweater). So I tried to look at him before the fight started. From those glimpses, he does seem to move pretty well for a big guy. I couldn't conclude much on his hockey sense, etc.

He was third on the Syracuse Crunch in +/- (+13),  handily leading all their dmen. For a guy who doesn't score much, that's a credible result. Couple that with his +2 over 98 NHL games and it's hard to conclude the guy is a bum as a defensive dman. He looks close to a NHL fringe defensive dman. And he's only 25.

From the Marlies perspective, they gave up Aulie and effectively got Ashton and with this deal, Fraser, who looks roughly comparable in style, size and current AHL ability to Aulie without as much NHL upside/pedigree.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »
Mitchell was going nowhere a while ago, so Burke using him to land this guy, virtually replacing most of what Aulie was bringing was a very good move. He may even have some NHL injury call-up in him, if the need arises. What I like about him is that he has NHL experience, but also that he is big and a bit nasty

I tried to look at video of him when I was looking into him because I didn't know much about him.

Unfortunately, most of the video was of his fights (he has a consistent and effective technique of jabbing with the hand that has a hold of his opponents sweater). So I tried to look at him before the fight started. From those glimpses, he does seem to move pretty well for a big guy. I couldn't conclude much on his hockey sense, etc.

He was third on the Syracuse Crunch in +/- (+13),  handily leading all their dmen. For a guy who doesn't score much, that's a credible result. Couple that with his +2 over 98 NHL games and it's hard to conclude the guy is a bum as a defensive dman. He looks close to a NHL fringe defensive dman. And he's only 25.

From the Marlies perspective, they gave up Aulie and effectively got Ashton and with this deal, Fraser, who looks roughly comparable in style, size and current AHL ability to Aulie without as much NHL upside/pedigree.

As much as I think Aulie had good upside, the two moves Burke made appeared to me to be good asset management. He took the advice of his management and scouting teams and added pieces that make the organization stronger overall IMO.

Carter/ Frazer > Mitchell/ Aulie is the way I see it. Aulie is probably better than Frazer overall, but Carter is going to be tons better than Mitchell ever dreamed of being I think.
BWB

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 09:51:14 AM »

As much as I think Aulie had good upside, the two moves Burke made appeared to me to be good asset management. He took the advice of his management and scouting teams and added pieces that make the organization stronger overall IMO.

Carter/ Frazer > Mitchell/ Aulie is the way I see it. Aulie is probably better than Frazer overall, but Carter is going to be tons better than Mitchell ever dreamed of being I think.

ECHLer Mitchell was just a substitution for "future considerations" (and to free a NHL contract) when they "bought" Fraser.  :)

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 09:59:49 AM »
ECHLer Mitchell was just a substitution for "future considerations" (and to free a NHL contract) when they "bought" Fraser.  :)

Pretty much. I also like this part of Burke as he is giving a chance for Mitchell to try and make it somewhere else, regardless of whether you, I or the organization believes he can do it. I think the players like that about him and I certainly respect it.
BWB

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 06:50:18 PM »
Eakins says Fraser will be paired with Holzer. Describes him as a physical stay-at-home veteran that opponents won't want to mess with.
http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20120228_132610_11680

Eakins feels he now has 8 dmen that he's comfortable with in the AHL. Gardiner would make nine if the Leafs don't make the playoffs.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 07:26:55 PM »
Eakins says Fraser will be paired with Holzer. Describes him as a physical stay-at-home veteran that opponents won't want to mess with.
http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20120228_132610_11680

Eakins feels he now has 8 dmen that he's comfortable with in the AHL. Gardiner would make nine if the Leafs don't make the playoffs.

Not sure if they were still a pairing but that might get Blacker to the right side, his more natural position, he was paired with Holzer for a lot of the year.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 07:26:55 PM »