Author Topic: Dale Mitchell to ANA for Mark Fraser  (Read 2952 times)

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Dale Mitchell to ANA for Mark Fraser
« on: February 27, 2012, 04:21:59 PM »
Per TSN.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dale Mitchell to ANA for Mark Fraser
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »
I'd like to hear from Nik on this deal.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 04:24:35 PM »
Replaces depth on D (even if he's only maybe a 6/7 guy) for a guy who likely never makes the NHL... Seems good. 

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:24:55 PM »
   D
Mark Fraser

Date of birth: September 29, 1986
Place of birth: Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Ht: 6-4 Wt: 220
Shoots: L
Salary: $550,000
NHL Seasons: 3
Drafted by New Jersey in 2005 (3/84).
Acquired in a trade with New Jersey in 2011.

ASSETS: Has good size, mobility and the ability to play a physical game from the back end. Usually plays it safe in the defensive zone.
FLAWS: Doesn't have a lot of scoring potential, so he's never going to play regular minutes on the power play. Needs to show greater defensive consistency.
CAREER POTENTIAL: Physical depth defenseman.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:40:22 PM by BlueWhiteBlood »
BWB

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »
Little bit of depth for the Marlies for a Calder Cup run. That's about it.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:27:45 PM »
Fraser has played 98 NHL games and is still only 25. I'm guessing he gets some time with the Leafs.

Offline #1PilarFan

• Staff Writer
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:29:10 PM »
Go Marlies!
Got an idea on improving the forum?

Check out the TMLFans Suggestion Box!

Offline Captain Canuck

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 06:15:25 PM »
The way I see these 2 Leaf deals today are to help the Marlies make a run for the Calder.

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:33:06 AM »
http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1511
Fraser has a one way $550k deal. Looks like Burke bought himself some quality depth to help replace Aulie in the short term.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 12:36:53 AM »
Fraser has a one way $550k deal. Looks like Burke bought himself some quality depth to help replace Aulie in the short term.

Are you being sarcastic?
BWB

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 12:55:29 AM »

Are you being sarcastic?

I don't think so, stay at home d with NHL experience, I'm sure the Marlies will appreciate it and he could fill in if the injury bug hits the Leafs hard.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 01:11:50 AM »

Are you being sarcastic?

Nope. He'll help the Marlies - I mean depth for them more than the NHL. He'd probably be behind Holzer and maybe others in terms of a defensive dman callup but he probably wouldn't embarrass himself in the NHL with 98 NHL GP, +2. He's a pretty good size, 6'4" 220lbs, reportedly with decent mobility so he's not going to get pushed around. He's had 41 pro fights - watched a few of them - he's not bad.

He's been paid $500+k in the AHL the last two seasons on two separate contracts.

I've read a number of reports on him and he seems decent enough.

I feel they basically bought him because of his contract and they only gave up Dale Mitchell (ECHLer) to get him.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 06:49:39 AM »

Are you being sarcastic?

Nope. He'll help the Marlies - I mean depth for them more than the NHL. He'd probably be behind Holzer and maybe others in terms of a defensive dman callup but he probably wouldn't embarrass himself in the NHL with 98 NHL GP, +2. He's a pretty good size, 6'4" 220lbs, reportedly with decent mobility so he's not going to get pushed around. He's had 41 pro fights - watched a few of them - he's not bad.

He's been paid $500+k in the AHL the last two seasons on two separate contracts.

I feel they basically bought him because of his contract and they only gave up Dale Mitchell (ECHLer) to get him.

Oh okay, I wasn't sure there. I agree with everything you stated here. He's not Keith Aulie, but he's a suitable replacement for the AHL team. Maybe he fills a role on a call up basis or something, but for Mitchell, I believe it was a pretty good move by Burke.
BWB

Offline cw

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 08:53:11 AM »

Are you being sarcastic?

Oh okay, I wasn't sure there. I agree with everything you stated here. He's not Keith Aulie, but he's a suitable replacement for the AHL team. Maybe he fills a role on a call up basis or something, but for Mitchell, I believe it was a pretty good move by Burke.

The Marlies have added Ashton.

The Leafs will be sending Gardiner down briefly so he can be placed on the AHL Clear Day (playoff roster). I presume they'll do the same with Frattin.

Recently, they got Deschamps for Caputi and he seems to be on fire.

With Fraser added, they've got good depth in every position for a good playoff run. Might be the best AHL team the Leafs have had in decades - currently their 2nd or 3rd best win% during their history in the AHL. They're in a great position to win their division and still have an outside shot to top their conference standings.

If the Leafs don't make the playoffs, we may have something truly worthy of following this spring.

Offline BlueWhiteBlood

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »
The Leafs will be sending Gardiner down briefly so he can be placed on the AHL Clear Day (playoff roster). I presume they'll do the same with Frattin.

I believe they did do that yesterday with Frattin also.

Recently, they got Deschamps for Caputi and he seems to be on fire.

With Fraser added, they've got good depth in every position for a good playoff run. Might be the best AHL team the Leafs have had in decades - currently their 2nd or 3rd best win% during their history in the AHL. They're in a great position to win their division and still have an outside shot to top their conference standings.

Mitchell was going nowhere a while ago, so Burke using him to land this guy, virtually replacing most of what Aulie was bringing was a very good move. He may even have some NHL injury call-up in him, if the need arises. What I like about him is that he has NHL experience, but also that he is big and a bit nasty.

If the Leafs don't make the playoffs, we may have something truly worthy of following this spring.

For sure.
BWB

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »