Author Topic: The Official Technology Thread  (Read 33153 times)

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Technology Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 02:20:03 PM »
Apple Keynote speech going on right now. I can't believe how much an innovator the early iPhone models were. Now they're playing catch up and asking people to pay a premium for it.

So far I'm very underwhelmed.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 02:36:03 PM »
Dual core and a new camera seem to be the only changes from iphone4.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 02:55:50 PM »

Those are the big changes, yeah. Also, there's a 64GB model available.

I'm overdue for an upgrade (still using an LG Shine) and was hoping the iPhone 5 would be announced today, but, oh well. I'll probably pick up a 64GB 4S instead.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:59:26 PM by Busta Reims »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 03:17:59 PM »
I use a Blackberry Pearl flip and still haven't figured out how to do 80% of what it does.

I'd love a touch-screen smart phone but honestly can't justify it cost-wise.

Offline The Red Polar Bear

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 04:49:30 PM »
Picked up a Nokia E73 a month ago from Mobilicity on their $25 unlimited talk/text/data + CallerID (paid $150 outright, no contract). So far so good, its essentially a Blackberry Curve without BBM for half the price and a higher build quality.

I'll forever be sold on Nokia phones since I ran over the last one I owned with my car and it still worked.

Online WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 02:36:40 AM »
Samsung Galaxy S II is just a much better phone than the Iphone 4S.

Apple will sell a ton of the new phone, but this is the first time it's legitimately trailing behind technologically speaking when it comes to introducing a new smartphone.

By the time Apple tries to release a 5, android phones are going to be about 12-18 months ahead of them. 

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 11:10:24 AM »
Picked up a Nokia E73 a month ago from Mobilicity on their $25 unlimited talk/text/data + CallerID (paid $150 outright, no contract). So far so good, its essentially a Blackberry Curve without BBM for half the price and a higher build quality.

I'll forever be sold on Nokia phones since I ran over the last
one I owned with my car and it still worked.

I have an unlocked Nokia E71 which I bought 2 years ago
from Celltech.  I use it primarily as an organizer, occasional
wireless usage, etc. Works very well in offline mode.  No contract since I haven't switched the SIM from my Moto Razr pay-go cellphone (Rogers).  Excellent build quality and nice keyboard.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:14:57 AM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 11:24:11 AM »

I'm overdue for an upgrade (still using an LG Shine) and was hoping the iPhone 5 would be announced today, but, oh well. I'll probably pick up a 64GB 4S instead.

I'm still on my 3g iPhone albeit as dysfunctionally slow as it is getting.  My 3yr contract expired in August and it came with a good data (no voice) plan from Rogers at 6GB for $25 (before taxes).  Now, with no contract, I'm paying $52!  So, if I were to upgrade to the 4S -- (I was hoping it was going to be the Iphone 5, but, the 4S sounds much more of a capable performer with it's A6 microchip processor -- I'm probably going to go on another 3yr term and Rogers may give me a lower plan pricing again.

By the way, the 4S will incorporate SIRI Apple's voice recognition software to be a feature on it's next generation Iphones.

Offline sucka

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 12:35:08 PM »

I'm still on my 3g iPhone albeit as dysfunctionally slow as it is getting.  My 3yr contract expired in August and it came with a good data (no voice) plan from Rogers at 6GB for $25 (before taxes).  Now, with no contract, I'm paying $52!  So, if I were to upgrade to the 4S -- (I was hoping it was going to be the Iphone 5, but, the 4S sounds much more of a capable performer with it's A6 microchip processor -- I'm probably going to go on another 3yr term and Rogers may give me a lower plan pricing again.

By the way, the 4S will incorporate SIRI Apple's voice recognition software to be a feature on it's next generation Iphones.

You can try asking to downgrade the 6gigs to save the $5.  I did that and they still gave me the 6gigs.  i'm paying now around 45.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 12:53:17 PM »
Quote from: Deebo link=topic=68.msg10178#msg10178
date=1317753363
Those are the big changes, yeah. Also, there's a 64GB model
 available.

I'm overdue for an upgrade (still using an LG Shine) and was hoping the iPhone 5 would be announced today, but, oh well.
 I'll probably pick up a 64GB 4S instead.

I'm still on my 3g iPhone albeit as dysfunctionally slow as it is getting.  My 3yr contract expired in August and it came
with a good data (no voice) plan from Rogers at 6GB for $25
 (before taxes).  Now, with no contract, I'm paying $52!  So,
 if I were to upgrade to the 4S -- (I was hoping it was going
 to be the Iphone 5, but, the 4S sounds much more of a
capable performer with it's A6 microchip processor -- I'm
probably going to go on another 3yr term and Rogers may
give me a lower plan pricing again.

By the way, the 4S will incorporate SIRI Apple's voice recognition software to be a feature on it's next generation
Iphones.
You can try asking to downgrade the 6gigs to save the $5.  I did that and they still gave me the 6gigs.  i'm paying now around 45.

Good idea.  In fact, Rogers has already pre-agreed to give me the $10 credit again if I choose a term contract again.  That would still be at 6GB but at a pared down price. 

I have a friend who manages a Rogers Wireless dealership and will try to negotiate some sort of price plan reduction for me.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 07:12:25 PM »

Apple will sell a ton of the new phone, but this is the first time it's legitimately trailing behind technologically speaking when it comes to introducing a new smartphone.

By the time Apple tries to release a 5, android phones are going to be about 12-18 months ahead of them. 

As an iPhone4 owner, I won't deny any of these claims. However, the App Store will always be head and shoulders above anything the competitors can put forth in that area. And that's even expanded for jailbroken users. And for that one reason I'll stick with my iPhone.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 07:15:32 PM »

I'd say you're probably right up until this point. It wouldn't surprise me if part of the reason the iPhone 5 wasn't announced yesterday is because of how far Apple intends on pushing the technology, but they just haven't perfected it yet.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 07:36:07 PM »

There's gonna be a lot faster phones coming out by the time you decide to pick up a 4s. It sounds like the Atrix is just as fast, SGSII is faster. Samsung's gonna have their pow-wow in the next week or two with the possibility of announcing SGS3 and Nexus Prime.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The Official Technology Thread
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 07:49:30 PM »
There's gonna be a lot faster phones coming out by the time you decide to pick up a 4s. It sounds like the Atrix is just as fast, SGSII is faster. Samsung's gonna have their pow-wow in the next week or two with the possibility of announcing SGS3 and Nexus Prime.

Speed isn't everything, and I'm really not a fan of the Android platform.

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 03:22:39 PM »

Speed isn't everything, and I'm really not a fan of the Android platform.

Ok, but the screen size and quality gets crushed by SGSII. And TBH, I started on iPhone and it drove me ballistic that you can't use it as a flash drive to store your documents, the fact that you had to jailbreak it so you could change the themes, frequent restores no flash support (INSANITY!). I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a slick operating system and quite a lot of stuff is optimized for it. But I just can't get passed certain features and design elements. Android suits me a lot better: it's more open and customizable, plays flash, better organization system, moving backgrounds, functions as storage.

Anyway, the real reason I'm posting here is Google is likely going to announce Ice Cream Sandwhich as a major update to the Android operating system as well a possible unveiling of the Nexus Prime.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/13/samsung-confirms-ice-cream-sandwich-event-on-october-19/

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 03:22:39 PM »