Author Topic: Which Dman would you add in a trade?  (Read 10365 times)

Offline Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
Re: Which Dman would you add in a trade?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 07:50:50 PM »
Gunnarson has been the best overall Leaf D so far, so he should stay

Liles filled the offensive role great before his injury and is signed to a 4 year extention as of today.

Komisarek Cap hit is 4.5Mi, while his salary is 3.5Mi for each of the next 2 seasons, so he is moveble.
A.K.A Gardiner51, Changed back to Kaberle15 now that he is retired.

Offline Etiam Vultus

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »
Gunnarson

I think you gotta keep Gunnarson simply because he is a solid player who can eat a lot of minutes but isn't going to command a high salary simply because he isn't flashy in any particular area.  On a team where they have a huge payroll tied up on their D, having Gunnarson helps keep that somewhat in check.

Not true.  Jeff Finger wasn't flashy and that didn't stop a GM from overpaying for him. I think your blueline has to be physical, else it will be manhandled in the playoffs.  Gunnarson should go because he isn't physical and he doesn't have an offensive game like Gardner or Liles has.

Gunnarson is the most important d-man the Leafs have.  He makes any partner he plays with better, and he's cheap.  They can't afford to lose him.

I have no idea why Gunnarsson's name is being thrown around in the first place. Especially when we have guys like Schenn and Komisarek who are redundant and have limited skillsets in the first place.

I agree that Schenn and Komisarek are similar players.  Their lack of mobility makes them liabilities when the Leafs play against a fast team.  It is tough for the coach to match lines when you have two slow-fitted defensemen on the  roster.  Both have high cap hits.  One of them is expendable and Schenn should have significantly more trade value because of his age.

Offline Kessel Run

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 08:20:54 PM »
I think I would be a little disappointed if anyone other than Komisarek were traded.

Offline sampson

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »
Just like Burke did with Blake, Toskala, Beauch... he can do with Komi. I bet it happens.

Offline Green Leaf

• Rookie
  • We Are Everyday Builders
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 10:54:26 PM »
Just like Burke did with Blake, Toskala, Beauch... he can do with Komi. I bet it happens.

im betting against you so its happy regardless

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 11:09:52 PM »

Beauchemin seems like a candidate for 'one of these things is not like the others'...
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline x.jr.benchwarmer

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 09:03:25 AM »
Well, I reject the idea that Phaneuf is untouchable.  He's the one I think would be the best to move to get a high-end forward.

I certainly agree with your opinion concerning Phaneuf. 

Right now, his plus/minus is at -1, which is 374th in the NHL.  (It might show just how premature Wilson's comment was when he said that Dion was the best defenceman in the NHL).  But even if the Leafs could get a bona fide top line forward for Phaneuf (like a Perry or Getzlaf, which in itself would be doubtful), Phaneuf will not be traded in all probability because Burke wants him to be the leader of the team.   

I think that the loss of Liles has really hurt the Leafs power  play, which a couple of other posters have noted.  I just don't see where their power play is enhanced with Phaneuf out there a lot.  He often just buries his head and shoots, and misses the net, or the shot is blocked.  In fact, it seems that most times after  he has the puck on the blue line on the PP, especially over the past 3 weeks or so, the puck ends up in the corner or the other team has possession.  And as noted in the last game against the Islanders, he stayed out way too long in the last couple of minutes and was so slow getting over to cover the slot after that unlucky bounce that led to the 3rd goal with about 15 seconds left.  There have been some shifts this year by him when he is barely skating because he is so tired, and it often results in a goal or quality scoring chance by the other team.

I think that the best defenceman who could be traded to get something slightly better in return would be Schenn.  And to think that about 2 years ago or so, he himself was deemed an untouchable.

And, as other posters have noted, I think that Gunnar is quite underestimated, and the Leafs should keep him because of his defensive awareness, and the fact that he can play quite a few minutes, and doesn't cost all that much, IMHO.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 09:26:44 AM »
There is absolutely no way they trade Phaneuf (not this season anyway).  After all the attention Burke has put onto his shoulders, continually citing how much better the team is with Phaneuf in the lineup, how can he possibly then turn around and trade his captain?   This is as close to a ridiculous suggestion as I have heard.  It seems likely that Burke isn't even looking to trade away major pieces just yet.  Based on all the rumors floating around, Burke seems hesitant to split up the core of this team because the Leafs are happy with now they're playing together, and how the young guys are all developing together.  Even with a guy like Grabovski, the reporters have all said the Leafs are "listening, but not shopping" him.

Offline the dingo ate my baby

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 09:27:50 AM »
I think Gunnar is the one that get' move.  Who I'd move obviously depends on the deal.
None are untouchable to me including Phaneuf.

Offline Strangelove

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »
I think if Schenn nets you a nice player you trade him.  With his hands and mobility I can't see him ever being much better than an average to slightly above average defensive defenseman, but I think at this point there may be GMs out there who still believe he's a future bonafide first pairing D.  I don't think that'll be true in a few years.

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 10:45:31 AM »
Gunnarson

I think you gotta keep Gunnarson simply because he is a solid player who can eat a lot of minutes but isn't going to command a high salary simply because he isn't flashy in any particular area.  On a team where they have a huge payroll tied up on their D, having Gunnarson helps keep that somewhat in check.

Not true.  Jeff Finger wasn't flashy and that didn't stop a GM from overpaying for him. I think your blueline has to be physical, else it will be manhandled in the playoffs.  Gunnarson should go because he isn't physical and he doesn't have an offensive game like Gardner or Liles has.

Gunnarson is the most important d-man the Leafs have.  He makes any partner he plays with better, and he's cheap.  They can't afford to lose him.

I have no idea why Gunnarsson's name is being thrown around in the first place. Especially when we have guys like Schenn and Komisarek who are redundant and have limited skillsets in the first place.

And I have no idea why people have such a man-crush on Gunnarsson.  This reminds me of the Pilar man-crushes of yesteryear.  Both were average dmen that people thought were all-stars.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 10:53:37 AM »
It all depends on what the return is, but my choices would be in this order:

1. Komisarek, if there really isn't another better deal out there and the goal is to make some room on defense and rid of the weakest link.  Doubt it happens but you never know.

2. Aulie, because of all the young d-men I think he's got the furthest to go to reach his potential and obviously because right now he isn't playing and wouldn't really hurt the team in the short term.

3. Schenn, because he is probably the chip needed to get the forward the Leafs want, but ONLY if that forward is under 28 (preferably under 26) and has relatively equal upside (or better, if more is going the other way).   Short-term, Komisarek can eat up some of his minutes and while he's a step down in many ways, the physical game is there and he looked better than Schenn before he got hurt. Long-term, the money gets put on Franson as the replacement for right side top 4 d-man of the future.  Aulie as option B to replace him, although they play different sides.

4. Franson, may actually have more value than Schenn due to his offensive upside, size and skating. I think he is less sentimental to Leafs fans than Schenn but is actually the better potential player. (IMO)  2 years older than Schenn but likely gets re-signed at a far cheaper rate this summer. 

5. Gunarsson. Only gets included in a deal if the return is a legit #1 centre and the add-ons in the package are substantially less (ie: no Kadri, Colborne).  He is quietly the best of the young d-men on the team for sure and IMO is the #3 behind Phaneuf and Liles as far as the depth chart goes. Too important to give up, really.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 10:54:12 AM »
Gunnarson

And I have no idea why people have such a man-crush on Gunnarsson.  This reminds me of the Pilar man-crushes of yesteryear.  Both were average dmen that people thought were all-stars.

Do you actually watch Gunnarson play or are you just looking at his stats?

Offline Strangelove

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »
Gunnarson

Probably has something to do with the fact that he's a strong skater, a good passer, and he's very sound positionally at both ends of the ice.  You rarely see him make bad decisions or lose track of opposing players in front of the Leafs' net, which is more than you can say for any other Leafs' Dman.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »
Gunnarson

Probably has something to do with the fact that he's a strong skater, a good passer, and he's very sound positionally at both ends of the ice.  You rarely see him make bad decisions or lose track of opposing players in front of the Leafs' net, which is more than you can say for any other Leafs' Dman.

All this while playing over 22 minutes / game.  It's not like he's playing for 5 minutes out there, he's consistently good on defense for the entire game in all situations.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2012, 10:58:25 AM »