Author Topic: Which Dman would you add in a trade?  (Read 10361 times)

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Re: Which Dman would you add in a trade?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 05:46:55 PM »
Unless a package were to include Kessel or Lupul, I personally don't see a team asking for Aulie over Schenn/Gardiner/Franson in such a deal. 

But we never know who Burke will pull a fast one on.

Well, obviously, GMs are going to ask for those guys, but, unless we're talking about guys like Ryan and Getzlaf, I think most GMs are smart enough to know they're unlikely to get them in return.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline gunnar36

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 09:43:31 PM »
Gunnarson

I think you gotta keep Gunnarson simply because he is a solid player who can eat a lot of minutes but isn't going to command a high salary simply because he isn't flashy in any particular area.  On a team where they have a huge payroll tied up on their D, having Gunnarson helps keep that somewhat in check.

Offline Rebel_1812

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 01:40:08 AM »
Gunnarson

I think you gotta keep Gunnarson simply because he is a solid player who can eat a lot of minutes but isn't going to command a high salary simply because he isn't flashy in any particular area.  On a team where they have a huge payroll tied up on their D, having Gunnarson helps keep that somewhat in check.

Not true.  Jeff Finger wasn't flashy and that didn't stop a GM from overpaying for him. I think your blueline has to be physical, else it will be manhandled in the playoffs.  Gunnarson should go because he isn't physical and he doesn't have an offensive game like Gardner or Liles has.

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 08:21:04 AM »
Gunnarson

Not true.  Jeff Finger wasn't flashy and that didn't stop a GM from overpaying for him. I think your blueline has to be physical, else it will be manhandled in the playoffs.  Gunnarson should go because he isn't physical and he doesn't have an offensive game like Gardner or Liles has.

Gunnarson is the most important d-man the Leafs have.  He makes any partner he plays with better, and he's cheap.  They can't afford to lose him. 

Offline Optimus Reimer

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 09:45:07 AM »
Had a long drawn out argument last night about this. If the Leafs do in fact make a trade for a top 6 forward that can make a difference and in the package the Leafs had to throw in 1 Dman (except for our Captain of course, or Komi 'cause of salary reasons) which guy would you most like to see go. I actually like this group and have no idea which guy I'd want to see leave. So who is and/or will be the least valuable to the Leafs?

If Dion and Komi can't be included like you said, then it would make some sense to trade either Franson or Schenn. That's simply because all 4 of those guys play the right side and we only have 3 spots for them.

I wouldn't be against trading Aulie either though, for the right package. Or Liles since he's an upcoming UFA.

I disagree that Komi is not moveable.  Burke has proven in the past that expensive contracts can be moved.  As well, Komi of late has been playing decently which would be attractive to another GM who needs some toughness on his team. 

Other than that, I would be hesitant to move any of the other 7 d-men.  They are young and if kept together can be molded into a very good unit.  As well, if Komi is moved after Liles returns, but a d-man gets injured, that leaves only 6 healthy d-men.  I would rather have that extra d-man in case of injuries or to rest one of the other d-men.

Online Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 09:50:02 AM »
Had a long drawn out argument last night about this. If the Leafs do in fact make a trade for a top 6 forward that can make a difference and in the package the Leafs had to throw in 1 Dman (except for our Captain of course, or Komi 'cause of salary reasons) which guy would you most like to see go. I actually like this group and have no idea which guy I'd want to see leave. So who is and/or will be the least valuable to the Leafs?

If Dion and Komi can't be included like you said, then it would make some sense to trade either Franson or Schenn. That's simply because all 4 of those guys play the right side and we only have 3 spots for them.

I wouldn't be against trading Aulie either though, for the right package. Or Liles since he's an upcoming UFA.

I disagree that Komi is not moveable.  Burke has proven in the past that expensive contracts can be moved.  As well, Komi of late has been playing decently which would be attractive to another GM who needs some toughness on his team. 

Other than that, I would be hesitant to move any of the other 7 d-men.  They are young and if kept together can be molded into a very good unit.  As well, if Komi is moved after Liles returns, but a d-man gets injured, that leaves only 6 healthy d-men.  I would rather have that extra d-man in case of injuries or to rest one of the other d-men.

Yeah Komisarek is moveable, especially if Burke makes a move to bring on a high-salary big name forward.  If the Leafs have to take on a contract that is 6-7 million (based on some names thrown around in rumors), then we have to ship out salary like Komisarek in order to accommodate.

Offline Zid

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »

Yeah Komisarek is moveable, especially if Burke makes a move to bring on a high-salary big name forward.  If the Leafs have to take on a contract that is 6-7 million (based on some names thrown around in rumors), then we have to ship out salary like Komisarek in order to accommodate.

Yeah, plus remember that Komisarek has very manageable salary of 3.5 million per season starting next year even though he has a 4.5 million cap hit. That can be handy for a team trying to reach the floor.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 09:52:38 AM »
I disagree that Komi is not moveable.  Burke has proven in the past that expensive contracts can be moved.

Burke's proven in the past that mediocre guys with big contracts can be traded but only if the team takes back a similar, if not worse, contract. I don't think that's ever been doubted though.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline gunnar36

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »

and we all know that Fletcher screwed up big time on that one... contract offer was supposed to be 3.5 M spread over 4 years

Offline Zid

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 10:13:35 AM »

and we all know that Fletcher screwed up big time on that one... contract offer was supposed to be 3.5 M spread over 4 years

I heard the rumor that old man Fletcher actually thought he was signing a totally different player. That is what happens when you have a 800 year old GM.

Jalili

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 01:15:27 PM »
Gunnarson

Gunnarson is the most important d-man the Leafs have.  He makes any partner he plays with better, and he's cheap.  They can't afford to lose him.

I have no idea why Gunnarsson's name is being thrown around in the first place. Especially when we have guys like Schenn and Komisarek who are redundant and have limited skillsets in the first place.

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2012, 02:14:50 PM »
I think one of either Schenn or Franson will be traded depending on the needs (offence/defence from the back end) of the acquiring team.  I think Aulie makes Schenn expendable and I think he has a fairly high ceiling in terms of physical, shut-down defencemen.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos John Tavares

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 02:16:52 PM »
Schenn is young and I'd be reluctant to trade him, but he is painfully slow for a 22 year old, they really need to force him to attend an elite skating school and work on it.

Offline gunnar36

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 02:22:55 PM »
Schenn is young and I'd be reluctant to trade him, but he is painfully slow for a 22 year old, they really need to force him to attend an elite skating school and work on it.

I agree with your assessment.... he needs to go on the same off season skating progam that John Tavares does.  Although Schenn seemed to have quicker feet in his rookie year.

I would also be reluctant to trade him because if they were to make the playoffs he is the type of player you want back there who can set the tone with a big hit and I could really see him elevating his play in the post season.

Offline No.92

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »
To answer the thread question...

Liles?  *runs away*

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 04:18:50 PM »